Overcast: Podcast Player
By Overcast Radio, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
A powerful yet simple audio podcast player, with features such as Smart Speed, Voice Boost, and Smarter Playlists to help you listen to more podcasts in more places, try new shows, and completely control your experience.
Overcast is a modern, fully featured audio podcast player with many useful features in a simple, intuitive interface:
- Download podcasts for playing anytime, even when offline.
- Search and browse for new podcasts, plus get recommendations from Twitter.
- Create custom Playlists with smart filters and per-podcast priorities, and rearrange the list whenever you want.
- Receive optional push notifications when new episodes arrive.
- Subscribe to a podcast, or just add an episode: try new shows without committing.
- Download podcasts over cellular, set a sleep timer, or use Voice Boost to enhance and normalize speech volume.
- Adjust playback speed, and use Smart Speed to pick up extra speed without distorting the conversation.
- Navigate with CarPlay. (On supported car radios.)
- Apple Watch app, Glance, and notifications
What's New in Version 2.5.7
Fixed duration estimates for low-fidelity podcasts.
Fantastic Podcast App
Fast, well coded app that doesn't crash or get buggy even when you throw a ton of subscriptions at it!
I used downcast for a long time, it just got buggier as time goes on to
The point of crashing at least once per every episode I would listen to.
No bugs here at all. The customization is a plenty as well.
The voice boost and speed listen are both nice touches as well. I personally don't use them but they do work well when I gave them a try.
I would like to be able to choose individual episodes to download for
later, but hopefully
That feature comes soon.
This app is great and exactly what a huge fan of podcasts needs. I will be supporting this well crafted software threw the patron feature.
It's totally free, but it deserves some funding for further advancement, especially since it functions much better than the paid apps, and much better than Apples horrible mess of a podcast app.
Switch now: Ahhhhmazing
I used Downcast for years particularly for its ability to import my audio books.
My brother switched to Overvast when it first came out and used it for his podcasts and Downcast for his audio books--not a model I was interested in mimicking.
Then after a recent update I was rereading a detailed review of all the features in Outcast. I was pleased to see that as a patron you could upload personal (e.g., audio books) content via the web interface.
I wish I could have switched sooner.
Overcast has an amazing interface, is easy to use, and has great features for playing back at accelerated speeds.
I couldn't recommend more.
Update: My commute recently when from a total of two hours per week to over two hours per day! Overcast made it easy to add and prioritize all the podcasts my cousin-in-law and brother had been recommending to meet for three part two years.
So much better than the default app
Love the recommendations. Love the ability to create "curated" playlists through the inclusion/exclusion features that let me get really granular - and have those playlists sync from iPhone to iPad. I used to use the "on the go" playlist on the default app to do something similar, but that was the one playlist that wouldn't sync, and the latest update seems to have depreciated even that one handy feature from what I can tell.
Couldn't care less about streaming - don't really understand why everyone wants to eat up all of their data (and as a frequent underground subway rider, I always download my episodes as a practical necessity anyway).
Would love some additional tools to make curation easier, but I've already submitted those thoughts through the feedback tool, so I won't repeat them here.
A desktop app would also be lovely, but as a nice to have, not a must.
- Category: News
- Updated: Jul 07, 2016
- Version: 2.5.7
- Size: 5.5 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Overcast Radio, LLC
- © 2014–2016 Overcast Radio, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- 3-Month Optional Patronage$2.99
- 12-Month Optional Patronage$11.99
- 6-Month Optional Patronage$5.99