OsmAnd DVR - professional video recorder utility for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad with advanced map support. It could be used as a dashcam car recorder.
- Non-stop video recording
- Still photos while recording the video
- Recover video recording after returning from the background mode of after incoming call
- Location, speed and altitude reading
- GPX track writing
- Customizable subtitles in SRT format
- Portrait and landscape modes
- Power saving mode
- Password protection
- Built-in video/photo gallery
- Simple user interface
- Built-in Help
- Black screen mode
- Car mode (speedometer)
- Export to Camera Roll with built in map and subtitles
- Speed limit feature
- HTTP server to view and transfer files to a computer via WiFi network
- Frame rate adjusting
- Capture Frames feature
- Frame-by-Frame playback mode
- Video stabilization (4S and higher)
- Four Map providers, layer switching, traffic layer
- iPad supported
- iOS 9 supported
Works smoothly even on iPhone 4S
IMPORTANT! The video recording loop is optimized as much as possible.
- Viewing angle in 640x480 resolution is wider than in 1280x720 or 1920x1080
- Device less heated and drains the battery more slowly in case of using non HD resolution - 640x480 for example
- When noticed something important - just tap the center of the screen. Current clip will be saved in the Favorites and will not be automatically deleted
- To make recording start on app startup or wakeup - specify startup action in settings OsmAnd DVR
- Usage of power saving mode increases life of the battery
- You can use WiFi connection, to transfer the files to your PC. Speed of copying is around of 1,2 megabytes per second
- With WiFi connection you can copy not only OsmAnd DVR files, but Camera Roll files also
- It is possible to copy files to PC via iTunes and USB cable. Files can be found in "Apps" -> "File Sharing" section
- Since Apple Maps can operate in background - you can use OsmAnd DVR together with turn-by-turn navigation (iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 only with iOS 6.1 and higher). Just start Apple Maps and navigation. Then - start OsmAnd DVR
OsmAnd DVR together with your iPhone is a great tracking device in your car
NOTE: OsmAnd DVR will not perform recording in the background since iOS has strong limitation about that. No one app is allowed to recording the video when you put app on hold (by pressing Home button) or it goes to background because of incoming call, for example.
However, OsmAnd DVR has a great feature which allows to recover recording the video automatically, when OsmAnd DVR become active again.
If you have any problem with running of OsmAnd DVR or it works not as you expected please write email to firstname.lastname@example.org
You will receive answer as soon as possible.
- Fixed issue of exporting video/photo files to the Photos
- Fixed misplacing of subtitles during export to the Photos
Ratings and Reviews
I've tried them all. This one is still the best!
I recently had an issue where I could not export a saved video to my camera roll. After two email exchange they just sent out an update today with the fix!
It has all the features that make it a real dash cam.
1. G-Force detection.
2. You can determine the length of each video that is saved.
3. You can choose how many videos are saved before they are over written.
4. You can manually save a clip by simply touching anywhere on the screen.
5. You can change the size of video you are saving if your phone starts getting warm. ...i.e. 1080 to 720
6. (Most importantly) you can save any video that was saved to your phone, straight to your camera roll immediately in the event either you are involved in a wreck or if your camera witnessed an incident in front of you!
This is important, if you show the video to an officer. If you cannot share the video with them, it's possible your phone could be taken as evidence.
This is a very important feature!
These six features sets this app apart from all others available!!
Disappointed, so I deleted it
I needed something to use in my vehicles to map and record my speeds as I drive because we have several small towns around where I live that are notorious speed traps. I recently was pulled over by a deputy who stated I was speeding (when in fact I wasn’t) and fortunately for me, another driver came to my rescue, who had been driving beside me, saw my “war vet license plate” and stopped, and told the deputy I was driving the posted speed limit, and told me if I got a citation, he would be happy to go to the judge who handles traffic court and testify. The deputy left and I got lucky.
I wanted this app to be my “witness” if this ever happened again, but I’ve never managed to get it to work. My geek nephew tried to set this up for me but he said it won’t work as advertised.
I’ll look for something else that can do the job, because this app doesn’t.
I like the app but....
I like the app. The only issue I have it that it totally takes my phone out of commission for the drive. I'm one of those people that plays music or listens to audio books from my phone during my commutes. With this app when I start my music or book then open the app to hit record it turns off the music or book I'm listening too. I hope with the next update they will allow the video to record while music or other audio apps are playing. I don't need to record audio with my video. So If that is why it won't play music and record at the same time. Then make it a feature that I can turn off so I CAN listen to things off my phone and still record my drive.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.