By Leafcutter Studios Ltd
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
ScatAbility is a practice app for scat singing. It utilizes the simple method of listening and imitation to get you scatting quickly, and musically. The focus is on singing, not thinking, similar to the immersion process of learning a language. Knowledge of theory, jazz chord types, progressions and scales, though beneficial, are not required to use this product.
ScatAbility is easy to use: sing exercises, call & response and etudes with great jazz singers including Darmon Meader, Rosana Eckert, Greg Jasperse, Kate Reid, Justin Binek, Michele Weir, John Proulx, and more to be added soon. Mute the vocals to practice on your own with the backing tracks, and when ready, record yourself, listen back, then export for other uses!
ScatAbility's creator, Michele Weir (MichMusic) is a renowned teacher who has powerfully influenced the development of jazz education around the world through her workshops, books and other materials. Michele's arrangements have been performed by The Manhattan Transfer, The Swingle Singers and New York Voices, and she currently serves on the faculty at University of Southern California, Los Angeles (UCLA).
• Vocal demos by professional jazz singers.
• User-friendly. No knowledge of jazz theory (chords, scales, progressions) required.
• Ability to record yourself singing with the backing track, listen to it, and export your recording.
• Three different product types: Exercises, Etudes and Call and Response.
• Backing tracks available in a wide variety of rhythmic styles, instrumentation and difficulty levels.
• Loop function allows for repeating any section of a track for targeted practice.
• Use the halfway locate function to optionally begin practice at the 2nd half of the track.
• Countoff on/off button to bypass countoff when desired.
• A synth track (vibes sound) that duplicates the vocal is an optional alternative to practicing with the vocal, allowing for greater flexibility in development of personal style and syllable use.
• The mixer allows for adjusting volume levels or muting any given fader: backing, vocal, or synth.
• The chord progression for each exercise is provided and can be visually tracked in real time.
• Complete In-app glossary.
• Practice anywhere, anytime.
• Learn to scat sing in different rhythmic styles and tempos.
• Develop a great sense of rhythm feel (groove, pocket, articulation) by modeling the demo vocals.
• Get comfortable with a wide variety of different syllables.
• Develop a superior ear for hearing chord progressions and interesting licks and melodic lines.
• Learn to sound stylistically authentic: jazz inflections, vibrato use, tone colors, articulation, vocal turns, and more.
• Organize jam sessions with small groups of friends, anywhere, anytime.
• Prepare for performance by recording then listening back to evaluate.
• Use the Etude backing tracks for practice at singing jazz standard song melodies and lyrics.
• Transcribe the Etude tracks to improve musicianship.
ScatAbility can be applied to use in the classroom; find specific methods and creative ideas for working with groups in the app INFO pages.
What's New in Version 2.1
** Summer sale on all packs until 7th September **
App is now a universal app for iPhone and iPad.
Best music app for vocalist
You have the 7 of the best jazz educators on your phone, teaching you how to scat whenever you want them to. There's nothing better than to do a call and response with Kate Reid at 5am. Thanks Michele Weir!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Music
- Updated: Aug 23, 2016
- Version: 2.1
- Size: 314 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Leafcutter Studios Ltd
- © Leafcutter Studios Ltd and Michele Weir
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Scat Pack 5$9.99
- Scat Pack 1 with Michele Weir$9.99
- Scat Pack 6$9.99
- Scat Pack 3$9.99
- Scat Pack 4$9.99
- Scat Pack 7$9.99
- Scat Pack 2 - Justin Binek$9.99