By Pleasant Software
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Iridium flares are phenomenon caused by the polished antennas of the Iridium communication satellites reflecting sunlight onto the Earth below and appearing as a brief, bright "flare".
iFlares calculates the occurrences of Iridium satellite flares for your current position (or any other location on earth).
iFlares provides a navigation mode, using the devices accelerometer and compass (if present) to give you visual directions where to look for a flare.
The flares are calculated directly on the device, i.e. you don't need an Internet connection in order to check for upcoming flares!
iFlares let you set reminders for flares, mail information on upcoming flares to your friends or even post them on Twitter or Facebook.
iFlares keeps record of seen Iridium satellites on the device and synchronizes this information with Apple's Game Center. That way your Iridium flares achievements are not only automatically synchronized between your different devices, you also can compare them with your Game Center friends.
- Calculating Iridium flares directly on the device (no active Internet connection needed)
- Visual navigation mode for directions
- Audio countdown when watching flares
- Add your own favorite locations
- Multiple time windows
- Many additional information on the Iridium satellites and the calculated flares
- Reminders for upcoming flares
- Keeps record of all seen Iridium flares and automatically synchronizes the achievements to Game Center.
- Universal app for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch
What's New in Version 2.0
- New native UI design on iOS 7 devices
- Daylight flares and flares based on old satellite data or unstable satellites are visually marked in the flares list.
- Ultra-fast 64-bit calculations on newer devices (e.g. iPhone 5s, iPad Air and iPad mini Retina).
- Multiple sightings of the same satellite are now saved with observation place and date in the Seen Satellites database.
- Post flare information on Facebook (iOS 6 and later)
- Additional time window filter (e.g. „show only flares between 7pm and 2am“)
- All current Flare reminders are listed in the Settings view and can also be deleted there.
- New locations can be added from contacts.
- Audio countdown now als continues to work when iFlares is sent to background and/or when the device is in sleep mode.
- Option to manually update the satellite orbital database.
- Fixed a problem with the rotation of the camera image on iPads.
- Many more bug fixes and feature enhancements.
The best app for Iridium Astrophotography
I own this, Sputnik and Iridium Flares apps.
For the purposes of planning to take images of a flare this offers the most. There are two features that are only offered by this app as far as I am aware.
The orientation feature helps me rotate and pitch the angle of my tripod to center the image in my lens. I will line up my iPhone with the back of the camera to reach the proper tilt. I next hold the iPhone level to take a compass bearing then orient the tripod to that view. You should hold the iOS device level and away from the tripod. The compass can be affected by nearby objects.
Secondly, the countdown feature lets me know when to release the shutter. The countdown is set to the point of maximum brightness, not first appearance.
If I plan on a 30 second exposure I hit the shutter at the "T minus" 15 second point to capture the waxing and waning of the flare symmetrically. It works spot on.
Can you take a pic with an iPhone? It's never worked for me. The image sensor is not sensitive enough. Use a DSLR.
Fantastic app! Easy to spot - great reminders!!!
Can't rate this high enough. Love the verbal countdowns. Love the locating camera view (radical). Love the ability to add alerts - filter on magnitude - everything!!!
Doesn't work right.
Keeps freezing. Info is inaccurate. Hasn't worked right yet. Don't waste your money.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Dec 01, 2013
- Version: 2.0
- Size: 24.7 MB
- Languages: English, German
- Seller: Eberhard Rensch
- © 2011-13 Pleasant Software
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.