IGN: Video Game News, Reviews, Guides
By IGN Entertainment, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The latest video game news and reviews, piped into your pocket from the world's #1 source, IGN. A must-have app for gamers, movie buffs and comic junkies that need to know what's new and which products are worthy.
The official IGN app for iOS features:
- NEW! Wiki guides and walkthroughs -- In-depth support for getting through Destiny, Skyrim, Dragon Age, Shadow of Mordor and more
- Video game and movie reviews -- Research the best buys in games, movies and comics
- IGN video shows, with AirPlay support
- iOS Calendar integration -- Add release reminders for games to your iOS calendar
- Customizable news feed -- Keep up on the latest, from PlayStation 4 to Xbox One and beyond (Beyond!)
This Universal app works on iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
What's New in Version 4.5.0
IGN APP: Return of the FIXES
- Defeated the blank article pages in hard mode
- Fixed empty comments page, YES
- Resolved a memory leak. This leak has been plugged.
New Features that are so HOT right now
- Articles content renders faster. Articles uses X Speed, Max Speed Increased
- New sidebar link for Game, Movie and TV Trailers
Also, more slam-dunks and forever Dennis Rodman.
I used to absolutely love this app, I would check it habitually throughout the day for up to date gaming news. I even found myself opening the app, not seeing anything new, closing it, then opening it again like some hungry college kid checking the fridge over and over expecting to suddenly find something I wanted to eat. But now the app has become frustrating to the point that I don't want to use it at all. I'm really considering just uninstalling it. The Maine reason behind this frustration? The adds. Why,in an app where you have to scroll through articles to find the one you want to read, would they throw adds that if you even slightly touch take you completely out of the app away from whatever you were doing and open up something up on your browser that I haven't stuck around to find out what is.
Aside from that app ruining detail it's actually pretty solid. They've a lot of the bugs and articles load rather quickly. I have been experiencing an issue where photos and videos within articles are just blank white spaces that never load anything. Until the intrusive adds are fixed I have to give this one star. If it's fixed then I will update my review accordingly.
For the most part..
IGN as an app generally works well, and I say generally since the app does glitch up a lot. Small enough to not matter but frequently to make your experience unsavory. You wouldn't think after several years on being on the market they would have gotten it right yet but sadly, they have not. But as of May 2015, IGN made a recent change in there app where not only did you get advertisement ads about go IGN Prime membership but the app now officially takes out of the app, and opens a page on your smart phone to become a member. This new change alone has made this app TERRIBLE, enough to a point where I will be removing IGN as an application and look forward to Kotaku online instead. Now going through safari is a better option as it does not open up the add for Prime membership or yet have seen this. IGN for years has been a landmark for all my electronic and gaming news and unfortunately it comes to an end. I hope this review helps most out and getting a good idea.
Love IGN, Hate The App!
This app SHOULD be great but it sadly just isn't. Here are a list of bugs I encounter on a daily basis...
- Slow loading times while scrolling through the feed and when loading articles and comments.
- App crashes when attempting to read article comments. Usually the moment I click on the comments link or slightly there after. Then I have to keep scrolling all the way back down to find where I left off.
- When reading in a portrait position, sometimes if your device is at an angle the app will turn into an unescapable landscape mode during a transition (tapping article, tapping back arrow) meaning you can't rotate it back into portrait mode even with the iPhone's portrait mode lock on. I don't think this is a feature since you can't use the app in landscape mode just by turning your device.
I also have an idea that you could possibly implement into the app...
- Like Twitter have a tear inbetween the articles I last saw or some sort of indicator letting me know where I last left off. I open the IGN app periodically throughout the day to keep up with the news and don't always rememeber what I have and haven't seen.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Apr 12, 2015
- Version: 4.5.0
- Size: 50.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: IGN Entertainment, Inc.
- © 1996-2015, IGN Entertainment, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- Early Adopter Bonus$0.99