By Mihai Babusca
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
* Super App rating awarded by Apps4iDevices *
For playing the piano you need to know what keys you should press and how they are named. It is also useful to be able to read musical notes written on sheet music. This way you will be able to learn to play virtually any song.
iLovePiano helps you in your journey on the music path by teaching you:
- Note names
- Piano key names and their location
- Note representation on the staff: bass and treble
- The way notes sound - ear training
- Basic musical theory, just enough to get you started.
* IMPORTANT NOTES - ANSWERS FOR USERS *
1. You can change the input mode depending on what lesson you are using. For complete freedom use the custom training lessons.
2. The lessons in the Piano Keys section are designed to be used only with the virtual keyboard.
3. You can use *only one octave* on the piano for entering the notes! The purpose of this app is to teach you the notes, not to be a MIDI synthesizer!
* EXTERNAL PIANO *
If you own a real piano or electronic keyboard you can use it as an input device.
You don't even need a midi cable - the application reads data directly from the microphone!
* HOW DOES IT WORK *
A new teaching approach is used by this application.
The purpose is to help your brain make links between: a note's sound, name, position on the keyboard and position on the staff. We are trying to teach you the musical alphabet (music is created with notes like sentences are created with words made with letters).
* HOW TRAINING WORKS *
Instead of having to read tons of boring theory articles, you can go right to the practice/quiz area. If you don't understand concepts like note, octave, clef, just check out the help where I explained the basics in music theory.
The lessons are actually game training sessions.
Based on the skill you are improving: note names, piano key layout, note reading or ear training, you are displayed a question and you will provide an answer. You can answer either by touching the screen or by pressing a key on the actual physical piano. The answer time and accuracy are always measured so you can track your progress. The highest score is remembered for each lesson.
The app includes two cheat sheets. They display the notes on the piano and on the staff. You are welcome to use them at any time, when you don't know an answer!
* TYPES OF TRAINING *
There are 3 categories of lessons and each one has features that will help you develop your piano and music skills.
I. Piano notes training - learn the musical notes and their location on the piano.
a) You are shown a key on the virtual piano and you will have to press the corresponding note letter
b) You are shown a note (letter) and you have to press the correct key on a virtual piano
Both lesson types are split into: white keys, black keys (sharps and flats) and all the piano keys.
II. Staff training - learn how to read Bass and Treble notes on the sheet music paper
You are shown notes on the staff and you can enter a response using the virtual piano, note letters buttons or your external piano.
Practice the common used octaves for the Treble and Bass clef. (Octave 1 - Octave 5).
The training is split into: white, black and white + black keys.
III. Custom training - choose your own octaves and clefs
a) Custom Staff Training - choose the octave range O1-O7, clefs and types of keys (white, black, white and black)
b) Ear Training - learn notes without displaying them on screen (answer only after listening to them), choose your own octave range.
* RESOURCES *
- Quick Start tutorial included - to get you started asap.
- Help - contains app usage advice and also a Basic Music Theory introduction (so you know what's a note/octave/flat/sharp/clef/staff etc.)
Remember: practice, practice, practice!
What's New in Version 3.0
* Special thanks to all of you that contacted me to share thoughts about their experience with the app. Your ideas and bug reports are highly welcome. Thank you for making this app better.
- Fixed the really annoying delay that was present before presenting the next note.
- Fewer crashes (replaced the sound processing engine)
- Fixed octave pickers
- Updated crash reporter for being able to find issues faster