With a streamlined design and intuitive Multi-Touch gestures, iMovie lets you enjoy your videos and tell stories like never before. Browse your video library, share favorite moments, create beautiful movies, and watch them on all your devices in iMovie Theater. And with the iMovie extension, it’s fast and fun to make every video more memorable — right in the Photos app.
Browse and share your videos
• Enjoy all your videos in the full-screen Video browser
• Quickly share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Mark favorite moments to easily find them later
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 14 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customize movie studio logos, cast names, and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
• Record video for your trailer right in iMovie
Create beautiful movies
• Choose from 8 unique themes with matching titles, transitions, and music
• Give your movie the perfect look with 10 Apple-designed video filters
• Enhance your movie with slow motion, fast forward, picture-in-picture, and split-screen effects*
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your music library, and your own narration
• Connect a keyboard and use simple shortcuts to edit movies quickly
• Use the iMovie extension to enhance video clips right in the Photos app
• Easily transfer projects between your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch using AirDrop or iCloud Drive
• Send any project to your Mac via AirDrop or iCloud Drive to finish editing with iMovie or Final Cut Pro X
• Share your finished movies and trailers to iMovie Theater and watch them on all your devices with iCloud
• Connect an external display to your iPhone or iPad and choose to mirror the iMovie interface or display your video fullscreen while you edit**
Share with friends and family
• Send videos with Mail and Messages
• Save to your photo library or share to YouTube in 4K or 1080p60***
• Save videos and iMovie project files to iCloud Drive
• Share videos and iMovie project files with AirDrop****
• Use AirPlay to wirelessly stream video to your HDTV with Apple TV*****
* 2x speed-up is available on iPhone 5s, iPad Air, iPad mini with Retina display, and later devices.
** Requires iPhone 7 or later, iPad (6th generation) or iPad Pro (2017) or later
*** 4K support is available on iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro, and later devices.
**** AirDrop requires an iCloud account and is available on iPhone 5, iPad (4th generation), iPad Air, iPad mini, iPod touch (5th generation), and later devices.
***** AirPlay requires Apple TV (2nd generation) or later.
• Connect an external display to your iPad or iPhone and choose to mirror the iPad display or preview your video fullscreen while you edit* — with support for uncompressed 4K video output on iPad Pro 11-inch or iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
• Resolves issues which could cause video distortion when editing a vertical video clip with the iMovie edit extension in the Photos app
• Addresses an issue which could prevent sharing videos through a cellular connection on iPhone or iPad
• Improves stability including an issue which could occur after adding speed change effects to clips in your movie
* Fullscreen video preview while editing requires iPhone 7 or later, iPad (6th generation) or iPad Pro (2017) or later
Ratings and Reviews
Not for pros! Just home users.
Being in the industry for 30 years I have worked with many software editing programs. Apple iMovie throws in a lot of fun gadgets but does not have the most simplest functions for an editing option platform to enable you to produce a professional looking product. Their old software that they discontinued 5 years ago was much more intuitive.
For example, stripping Audio from your video, do overlays, both video and audio. Taking music and placing it where you want to place it, when you want to place it and being able to manipulate the audio under and over scenes. This limits your ability to do multiple angles and cutaways during your production/video. When you try this it takes the audio with the video and throws everything out of sync. The ability to do insert and overlay edits. Put these features in and I will give it a 4. Make the editing platform easier to use ( just follow your old program you discontinued) and it will get a 5. The trailers are fun but strictly for titles and stills. Try to splice in live video and you have a nightmare of problems. Lastly you give the ability to compress the finished project to fit into most presentation software programs.
Good, but some suggestions
I think the app is great! I use it to edit my videos and make them look professional. There are a few things I think Apple Should do though. First of all, I think they should add an option to actually move the text wherever you want, not just where the set locations are. I also think they should make an option to choose the color of your text. This would be very helpful! Lastly, I think that we should be able to add a picture over a video (overlapping). I think that adding these features would bring the app to 5 stars by me, and I'm sure it'll bring much more happier customers in the future.
Something else to note, which really frustrates me, is the fact that when you have missing photos or videos in your project, it doesn't let you save it! I've worked so hard on this one project and because I have 1 picture missing from my camera roll, I can't play it back or share it!
Also, I do not like how you cannot move audio to the exact spot where you want it- songs you have in your library have to start from the beginning of the movie, not when you want it to
Please fix this!!
Overall great, but some suggestions as well
I really love this app! It’s very simple to use and can be used to make some very nice videos. The way you can make trailers is super cool too! It basically makes it for you and it comes out looking very professional! However there are some things that I really wish would change. First of all the text, I wish you could move it wherever you think its looks best, not just the center or bottom left or right corner and be able to choose a color for it. Another thing is the fact that you can’t do the slow zoom effect which is gaining much fame amongst YouTubers. I also wish that you could do some more effects like wavy effects or distortions if that makes sense. I know that you can do some of these on IMovie on Macs but that leads me to the last thing, I wish there were just overall more of the things you can do on Macs available for iPhones because let’s face it, most people with IMovie have iPhones. But with just a couple changes it could be sooo much better!! I hope you take this into consideration 😊
- Apple Inc.
- 690.5 MB
- Photo & Video
Requires iOS 11.4 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2013-2018 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.