With a streamlined design and intuitive Multi-Touch gestures, iMovie lets you enjoy your videos and tell stories like never before. Browse your video library, share favorite moments, create beautiful movies, and watch them on all your devices in iMovie Theater. And with the iMovie extension, it’s fast and fun to make every video more memorable — right in the Photos app.
Browse and share your videos
• Enjoy all your videos in the full-screen Video browser
• Quickly share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Mark favorite moments to easily find them later
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 14 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customize movie studio logos, cast names, and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
• Record video for your trailer right in iMovie
Create beautiful movies
• Choose from 8 unique themes with matching titles, transitions, and music
• Give your movie the perfect look with 10 Apple-designed video filters
• Enhance your movie with slow motion, fast forward, picture-in-picture, and split-screen effects*
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your music library, and your own narration
• Connect a keyboard and use simple shortcuts to edit movies quickly
• Use the iMovie extension to enhance video clips right in the Photos app
• Easily transfer projects between your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch using AirDrop or iCloud Drive
• Send any project to your Mac via AirDrop or iCloud Drive to finish editing with iMovie or Final Cut Pro X
• Share your finished movies and trailers to iMovie Theater and watch them on all your devices with iCloud
• Connect an external display to your iPhone or iPad and choose to mirror the iMovie interface or display your video fullscreen while you edit**
Share with friends and family
• Send videos with Mail and Messages
• Save to your photo library or share to YouTube in 4K or 1080p60***
• Save videos and iMovie project files to iCloud Drive
• Share videos and iMovie project files with AirDrop****
• Use AirPlay to wirelessly stream video to your HDTV with Apple TV*****
* 2x speed-up is available on iPhone 5s, iPad Air, iPad mini with Retina display, and later devices.
** Requires iPhone 7 or later, iPad (6th generation) or iPad Pro (2017) or later
*** 4K support is available on iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro, and later devices.
**** AirDrop requires an iCloud account and is available on iPhone 5, iPad (4th generation), iPad Air, iPad mini, iPod touch (5th generation), and later devices.
***** AirPlay requires Apple TV (2nd generation) or later.
• Connect an external display to your iPad or iPhone and choose to mirror the iPad display or preview your video fullscreen while you edit* — with support for uncompressed 4K video output on iPad Pro 11-inch or iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
• Resolves issues which could cause video distortion when editing a vertical video clip with the iMovie edit extension in the Photos app
• Addresses an issue which could prevent sharing videos through a cellular connection on iPhone or iPad
• Improves stability including an issue which could occur after adding speed change effects to clips in your movie
* Fullscreen video preview while editing requires iPhone 7 or later, iPad (6th generation) or iPad Pro (2017) or later
Ratings and Reviews
Pretty good, but I have suggestions
I got this about...a year ago. And I’m getting it again. But the things in this have changed, and there’s also stuff that needs to be added. Ok, let’s get this started.
Trailer Suggestions: Alright, so I feel like this needs to be more free in general. The trailer selections don’t really offer much freedom. You have to choose a theme, which automatically decides what the background music sounds like, how many shots there are, and how long the shots go on for. It also does not allow your own audio. It also blocks videos. I wish you could keep those theme selections, but I wish you could pick when it says the lines, and how many shots there were in the trailer. Plus, whenever you want to delete and image from a shot, it makes you press the garbage can. But the problem with this is that it is faded out, and is hard to see. This could also cause people using the app to not see it and click it by accident. It should be darker, so it is more visible. And I feel like, like in the movie maker, you could choose from a large list of sound effects, or have the option to record or find your own audio. The credits should also have more freedom and thought put into them. You should be able to decide if the credits scroll, or something, to give the credits more feeling. There should also be more logo design choices, currently there are only, I think THREE, you need to add more. You should also have more freedom to the background music.
(lowercase is intended)
i think the app is great! it’s a great movie/slideshow producer and it worked better for me than any other app. though, recently it’s been crashing for me, i would tap on the app and my screen would go black and then it would kick me out of the app. i tried to offload it off my phone because i still had a project i was working on and i didn’t want my progress to be lost and that seemed to solve the issue. i did get really scared when it wouldn’t let me on the app, i didn’t want all my hard work on my project to go to waste so when it let me back on i transferred my project to my camera roll even tho it wasn’t finished. i didn’t want to risk loosing it. another problem i have with the app is that it’s really slow! when i was transferring my project to my camera roll it took 5 mins, when before it started crashing it would take a few seconds, and whenever i would try and keep working on my project/s it would take forever to import the picture, adjust it to the audio and then crop any access. it got extremely annoying to work on and so my motivation was lost. i really like the app so it’s a bummer to be writing such a bad revue but all the bugs and glitches just don’t make it a great app to work with. i really suggest that they fix these issues as i have seen other reviews with the same bug or glitch problems. thank you for your time.
Not for pros! Just home users.
Being in the industry for 30 years I have worked with many software editing programs. Apple iMovie throws in a lot of fun gadgets but does not have the most simplest functions for an editing option platform to enable you to produce a professional looking product. Their old software that they discontinued 5 years ago was much more intuitive.
For example, stripping Audio from your video, do overlays, both video and audio. Taking music and placing it where you want to place it, when you want to place it and being able to manipulate the audio under and over scenes. This limits your ability to do multiple angles and cutaways during your production/video. When you try this it takes the audio with the video and throws everything out of sync. The ability to do insert and overlay edits. Put these features in and I will give it a 4. Make the editing platform easier to use ( just follow your old program you discontinued) and it will get a 5. The trailers are fun but strictly for titles and stills. Try to splice in live video and you have a nightmare of problems. Lastly you give the ability to compress the finished project to fit into most presentation software programs.
- Apple Inc.
- 690.5 MB
- Photo & Video
Requires iOS 11.4 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2013-2018 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.