Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
With a streamlined design and intuitive editing features, iMovie lets you enjoy your videos and tell stories like never before. Browse your video library, share favorite moments, and create beautiful movies that you can edit at resolutions up to 4K. You can even start editing movies on an iPhone or iPad, and finish them on a Mac. And when your movie is ready for its big premiere, you can enjoy it on all your devices in iMovie Theater.
Browse and share video
• See all your video clips and photos organized in one place
• Quickly share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Background import lets you begin watching and sharing video instantly
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 29 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customize movie studio logos, cast names, and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
Create beautiful 4K and HD movies
• Edit movies at up to 4K resolution with video from iPhone 6s, GoPro, and other Ultra HD cameras on compatible Macs (1)
• Support for 1080p HD video at 60 frames per second for smoother, more life-like action shots
• Import movies and trailers created using iMovie on iPhone or iPad to finish them on your Mac
• Enhance your movie by adding titles, transitions, and 3D globes and travel maps
• Speed up and slow down the action with fast-forward and slow-motion effects
• Create sophisticated picture-in-picture, side-by-side, and green screen effects
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your iTunes library, songs you’ve recorded in GarageBand, and your own narration
Fine-tune every clip
• Instantly improve the look and sound of your video using one-click Enhance
• Give your video a boost with easy-to-use color controls
• Stabilize shaky video for a smoother picture that’s easier to watch
• Automatically zoom in on faces and glide across panorama photos with the Ken Burns Effect
• Choose from 48 fun video and audio effects
Watch anywhere with iMovie Theater
• Fill iMovie Theater with posters as you share clips, movies, and trailers
• Access iMovie Theater on all your devices with iCloud
• Enjoy iMovie Theater on your HDTV with Apple TV
Share with friends and family
• Email videos with Mail Drop when signed in to iCloud
• Share directly to YouTube at up to 4K resolution
• Publish movies directly to Facebook and Vimeo
• Share any video frame as an image
iOS Developers: Create App Previews for the App Store
• Import iPhone and iPad screen recording videos captured with QuickTime Player
• Highlight features with 11 animated titles designed to showcase apps in action
• Export finished videos using the App Preview share option
(1) 4K export requires a Mac from 2011 or later with at least 4 GB RAM. Full-resolution 4K playback is supported on iMac with Retina display and Mac Pro (2013 or later) when connected to a 4K display.
What's New in Version 10.1.6
• Improves stability when updating libraries created with earlier versions of iMovie
• Addresses an issue which could lower the volume of clips after transitions
Introduced in Version 10.1.3
• Support for Touch Bar on MacBook Pro lets you quickly add video clips to your movie, or use them to create picture in picture, green screen, and split screen effects
• Tap the Touch Bar to play your movie, split a clip, or easily adjust the volume of any clip
• Ability to delete render files to recover drive space
This just isn’t iMovie anymore
iMovie used to be a very good program for editing. It had that nice wraparound timeline - the one that STEVE JOBS made a HUGE DEAL about. It was intuitive, useful, and fast.
But now I’m playing back video and it’s freezing up every few seconds. I didn’t have this problem before. I can’t get the wraparound timeline to work for the life of me, making a lot of screen real estate completely useless. Please post how to retreat to a decent version. This is definitely NOT an upgrade.
I’d rate it ZERO STARS if that was an option. On my computer, the previous version edited 4k content butter-smooth, easy as anything. But this version, skimming with the mouse results in beach-ball after beach-ball. It’s no longer useable at all.
Don’t Upate to this version!
This update, 10.1.6 is seriously broken! I have 60 pictures that will not display in the Viewer so I cannot edit them (apply ken burns, crop, etc) BECAUSE the actual picture is black. I have researched this on the Apple Community and a solution is to resize your pictures to get this to work. That is dumb. I researched that process and I’m not going to dumb down my picture quality in an effort to make this work.
As noted below Apple needs to fix this mess ASAP!!
(I cannot determine if this occurred in update 10.1.5 because it was very close to this update. Could have been either one. So hold off for a fix to this mess if you can.)
As a Novice it simple to use
As a novice to iMovie I found this to be a simple procedure, I downloaded a how to app for iMovie which made the user interface simple for me. The new update runs smoothly and allows me to export in 1080 HD videos. prior version wasn’t possible. my only gripe is it takes forever to load with a very small theatre library that I have. I recommend this for minor edits for homemade videos. I give it a four star. Imports with a simple click and my Mac does the rest!
- Category: Video
- Updated: May 25, 2017
- Version: 10.1.6
- Size: 2.15 GB
- Languages: English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Apple Inc.
- © 1999-2001, 2003-2017 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
Compatibility: OS X 10.11.2 or later