Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
With a streamlined design and intuitive editing features, iMovie lets you enjoy your videos and tell stories like never before. Browse your video library, share favorite moments, and create beautiful movies that you can edit at resolutions up to 4K. You can even start editing movies on an iPhone or iPad, and finish them on a Mac. And when your movie is ready for its big premiere, you can enjoy it on all your devices in iMovie Theater.
Browse and share video
• See all your video clips and photos organized in one place
• Quickly share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Background import lets you begin watching and sharing video instantly
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 29 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customize movie studio logos, cast names, and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
Create beautiful 4K and HD movies
• Edit movies at up to 4K resolution with video from iPhone 6s, GoPro, and other Ultra HD cameras on compatible Macs (1)
• Support for 1080p HD video at 60 frames per second for smoother, more life-like action shots
• Import movies and trailers created using iMovie on iPhone or iPad to finish them on your Mac
• Enhance your movie by adding titles, transitions, and 3D globes and travel maps
• Speed up and slow down the action with fast-forward and slow-motion effects
• Create sophisticated picture-in-picture, side-by-side, and green screen effects
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your iTunes library, songs you’ve recorded in GarageBand, and your own narration
Fine-tune every clip
• Instantly improve the look and sound of your video using one-click Enhance
• Give your video a boost with easy-to-use color controls
• Stabilize shaky video for a smoother picture that’s easier to watch
• Automatically zoom in on faces and glide across panorama photos with the Ken Burns Effect
• Choose from 48 fun video and audio effects
Watch anywhere with iMovie Theater
• Fill iMovie Theater with posters as you share clips, movies, and trailers
• Access iMovie Theater on all your devices with iCloud
• Enjoy iMovie Theater on your HDTV with Apple TV
Share with friends and family
• Email videos with Mail Drop when signed in to iCloud
• Share directly to YouTube at up to 4K resolution
• Publish movies directly to Facebook and Vimeo
• Share any video frame as an image
iOS Developers: Create App Previews for the App Store
• Import iPhone and iPad screen recording videos captured with QuickTime Player
• Highlight features with 11 animated titles designed to showcase apps in action
• Export finished videos using the App Preview share option
(1) 4K export requires a Mac from 2011 or later with at least 4 GB RAM. Full-resolution 4K playback is supported on iMac with Retina display and Mac Pro (2013 or later) when connected to a 4K display.
What's New in Version 10.1.4
• Resolves a stability issue for some users who upgraded from a previous version in which they had shared movies or trailers
Introduced in Version 10.1.3
• Support for Touch Bar on MacBook Pro lets you quickly add video clips to your movie, or use them to create picture in picture, green screen, and split screen effects
• Tap the Touch Bar to play your movie, split a clip, or easily adjust the volume of any clip
• Ability to delete render files to recover drive space
Great tool for amateur videographers!
This is the best “free” tool available for amateur film making. I use it for multimedia production at church. You’ll be hard pressed to find a free digital video editor with the power built into iMovie. Cutaways, disolves, color matching, green screen/chroma-keying are all available for making professional looking videos. The one thing I wish I had available direclty in the package was access to the great EQ and Compression tools that are in Garageband. As it stands, I have to export the audio track into Garageband to do more advanced audio post-processing and then import it back into iMovie to complete a project. In-spite of that shortcoming, this is still a phenomenal tool. I can’t say enough good things about it.
Its Good, but needs a lot more improvements
I really like iMovie and think its great for doing both SD and HD videos, but I think it could use a really solid upgrade, like HD conversion and being able to seperate audio from video. I like how simple it is to use but think more advanced features should also be included, I feel like compared to other editing software programs I’ve tried those were much more advanced, and iMovie is great for beginners and Amatures but needs a serious reboot especially for Mac OS Sierra. So Yes I recommend it if you need something basic. Its great for SD videos. But I need more to convert SD to HD.
Good but one problem...
I really like iMovie, but today I was trying to put in the music from iTunes. I clicked import and it said, no clips there. I kept clicking import, and nothing showed up! So, I closed the app and opened it again. Then I clicked import again and finally it worked. All I needed left was the actual video, which is why I needed music, you know for my background, but when I clicked import for my video, it did the same thing! It said still no clips. I closed the app, did it again. Nothing showed up. So, now I have the music, but the most important part, my video isn’t there. :( Apple, please fix this issue.
- Category: Video
- Updated: Nov 29, 2016
- Version: 10.1.4
- Size: 2.05 GB
- Languages: English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Apple Inc.
- © 1999-2001, 2003-2016 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
Compatibility: OS X 10.11.2 or later