One of the world's most popular nature apps, iNaturalist helps you identify the plants and animals around you. Get connected with a community of over 400,000 scientists and naturalists who can help you learn more about nature! What's more, by recording and sharing your observations, you'll create research quality data for scientists working to better understand and protect nature. iNaturalist is a joint initiative by the California Academy of Sciences and the National Geographic Society
• Discover species new to you both near and far
• Record your own observations and share them with the community
• Receive suggestions and crowdsourced identifications of what you've seen
• Discuss and help others identify what they've seen
• Follow projects comprised of smaller communities and fellow citizen scientists passionate about a particular place and/or species
translations! also, a few bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
This app is a source of tremendous joy....
Thank you to those who created this wonderful app!! The ability to identify (and thereby learn) about the flora and fauna we humans are so lucky to find all around us is a dream come true!
We share this beautiful* planet with such a stunning variety of life... To be able to learn about the animals, plants, fungi & more which we see around us is a gift!
* It’s precisely this amazing variety of life, in all it’s forms, which is the source of our planet’s beauty . I hope this app will give more people pause & encourage them to give thought to that which is necessary to preserve & to keep this amazing planet & ALL it’s inhabitants healthy. Whether initially inspired by “selfish” reasons i.e., “what do I need to do to preserve this perfect home for the future of my children, grandchildren & the generations to come within my own family ” OR inspired by more “altruistic” reasons: what must I do and what must we do to keep this miracle of a planet healthy for the sake of the planet and all its inhabitants as a whole… In the end both groups will find that the true and lasting answers to these questions lead them down the same path. By necessity this includes learning about life all around you and how to best keep it healthy. This app provides a great service to that very end.
This app is my life
If I could, I would marry this app. iNat is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I have learned so much and have met so many amazing people through this app. Before iNat, I was the weird person who liked bugs. With iNat, I have slowly blossomed into an amateur subject matter expert documenting previously unknown behaviors/species relationships/coloration variations and submitting specimens to university entomological collections. I went from not being able to tell the difference between rice stink bugs and brown stink bugs one year ago to knowing hemipteran scientific names better than the common ones.
Sure, iNat didn't do that in and of itself, but it facilitated my self-education and gave me the means to organize my data/photographs, and my competitive nature motivates me to go out and DOCUMENT ALL THE THINGS!
The iNat people are continually improving their platform, and this mobile version is the best yet. The photo suggestion tool is amazing and sorely needed. Not perfect, but it's THE BEST version of photo ID out there and I'm frankly amazed by how good it is.
Amazing but a few things
I love this app so much! For new people, this is a very good app with tons of stuff. Identifications, exploring, and commenting are just a few. I still have a few suggestions.
Maybe what you could do, there could be tournaments for who can find the best animals or plants under a theme. People of the community can vote it up or skip it. You get points for likes and liking others, or identifying a plant or animal correctly. (To when they change it.) You could get coins if you win 1st, second or third, and you get more coins the higher rank you get. The tournaments hold 10-15 people. They end in 4 days. You upgrade tournaments by getting trophies. Maybe using the coins to upgrade the rim of your avatar, or maybe special colors on your screen instead of white. I think this will make more people motivated to have this app.
Of course, the app is perfect, and maybe adding focusing the camera by tapping would be nice.
- iNaturalist, LLC
- 37.2 MB
Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hebrew, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2014 iNaturalist, California Academy of Sciences
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.