Inbox by Gmail
By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Your email inbox should help you live and work better, but instead it often buries the important stuff and creates more stress than it relieves. Inbox, built by the Gmail team, keeps things organized and helps you get back to what matters.
• HIGHLIGHTS - Get the most important information without even opening the message. Check-in for flights, see shipping information for purchases, and view photos from friends right up front.
• BUNDLES - Similar messages are bundled together so you can deal with them all at once. And get rid of them with one swipe.
• REMINDERS - More than mail, you can add Reminders so your inbox contains all the things you need to get back to.
• SNOOZE - Snooze emails and Reminders to come back when you are ready to deal with them: next week, when you get home, or whenever you choose.
• SEARCH - Inbox helps you find exactly what you’re looking for— from your upcoming flight to a friend's address— without having to dig through messages.
• WORKS WITH GMAIL - Inbox is built by the Gmail team, so all your messages from Gmail are here, along with the reliability and spam protection of Gmail. All of your messages are still in Gmail and always will be.
What's New in Version 1.3.170604
• Bug fixes and performance improvements
CORRECTION: Stops you using Safari as the default browser
The review I wrote (below) is INCORRECT, as far as I can tell. Other apps use the same basic browser as Inbox, including apps from The Guardian, Wikipedia, and possibly the New York Times and MedScape. Maybe this is a browser service offered by iOS, I don't know. So I retract everything I said below. I have no evidence that any of my previous claims were true. As far as I can tell, Google Inbox is a perfectly good app and does nothing suspicious or underhand.
mbrowner8782 is absolutely correct. Inbox on iOS now secretly opens emailed links itself, rather than in the default browser. This circumvents the user's preferences and presumably uses a concealed version of Chrome, smuggled aboard the iOS device inside the Inbox app. This kind of thing stinks, is way beneath what I would expect from Google, and reminds me of the antitrust suits against Microsoft when Windows forced you to use Internet Explorer.
Was Excellent Before Latest Update
This was by far my favorite email app until this last update. Now, it automatically opens safari links within the Inbox app. I see where several people have mentioned you can change this in settings, but you cannot. It gives you the option to open links in Safari, Chrome, or ask every time. But when you choose Safari, it opens the link in a Safari-like browser within the actual Inbox app. It doesn't actually open the link in the Safari browser.
This wasn't an issue until this last update. Please give me the option of opening links in the actual Safari app instead of within the Inbox app. This has absolutely ruined a wonderful email app for me.
I have had gmail for more than 10 years and it had gotten to the point of total disorganization and spam. This app really made it easy to find things in a snap, from my latest itinerary to the one that I still need to expense from 3 months ago. I wish it would recognize Expedia though, not sure if others have noticed that those are conspicuously absent from the "Trips" category... Anyway, great app and makes your disaster of an email inbox much more usable with no effort - you'll see.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Jun 22, 2017
- Version: 1.3.170604
- Size: 224 MB
- Languages: English, Afrikaans, Arabic, Basque, Bengali, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Norwegian, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Zulu
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © 2017, Google Inc
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.