"NetHack is a single player dungeon exploration game. Your goal is to grab as much treasure as you can, retrieve the Amulet of Yendor, and escape the Mazes of Menace alive."
iNethack2 is an iOS port of Nethack 3.4.3.
Original port in 2009 by Dirk Zimmermann which was called iNethack. Recently updated by Jeff King to work on modern devices, and renamed iNethack2.
· 10 tilesets (including original ASCII mode)
· Touchscreen gesture controls: swipe to pan, pinch to zoom
· Customizable keyboard shortcut controls
· Hearse (bones file sharing) integration
· Works on iOS7+
Some facts about NetHack:
· The first version of NetHack was released in 1987
· NetHack was a roguelike before people used the term roguelike
· You can play NetHack for years and still make new discoveries
· NetHack is one of the greatest games of all time
Fix: iPhone X support - there were issues with the status text being hidden and other layout issues. This should be better now. Still some iPhone X specific things to tweak in the next release.
Ratings and Reviews
Nethack found me again....
I have never written a long review, but feel compelled to with this game.
I played one of the very first Nethack versions back in the late 1980’s, and I loved it. But I’m not a “gamer” or even that computer savvy, so I moved on in my life and forgot about it.
Imagine my surprise 30 some years later when I find it in the IOS App Store! So I downloaded it (it’s free!!!) and dove back in. It truly is the greatest video game ever, making up for it’s graphic simplicity with an unprecedented depth: it is not a game you will beat in 30 or even 90 days. More than just a time waster (nothing beats a good old Barbarian rampage... right, Set?!?), it involves strategy and patience to make it past the beginning levels of the game.
My reason for 4/5 stars is that I’m experiencing some annoying bugs & nuances:
- doesn’t always save the game
- can’t name your pet
- can’t run multiple characters via saved files
Thanks for a great job of bringing back the classic!
A worthy replacement. Well, almost.
This is a solid NetHack app that's easy to use. However, it seems to be missing some functions and commands, most notably the ability to choose a name for your adventurer, the ability to name your pets, and the ability to choose to partially pick up and set down stacks of items, or separate stacks into smaller stacks. And that function is really important, since it's kinda hard to manage your inventory with the current "all-or-nothing" system. Still, it's a solid NetHack experience that's faithful to the PC original.
Better than original
Works just as well as the original, and this one has a better interface in my opinion, while allowing you to use keyboard imputs for the less commonly used keys. I liked the idea of incorporating settings into the apple settings menu. It even includes a whole cast of tilesets to use! On top of all that, it'a a great roguelike to begin with, and this game and it's variants can all run on literally any computer or device on the market. This game has intense, brutal, but fair difficulty.
- Future Shock Software LTD
- 15.6 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2018 Future Shock Software
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.