Walking Eye app by Insight Guides
Insight Guides’ brand-new Walking Eye app connects printed travel guides (published 2016) with digital destination content and eBooks.
The container app provides standard free content in a chosen destination and includes:
•Activities – free access to a range of local guided tours and sightseeing activities, with the option to book
• Inspire me – our travel blog, updated on a daily basis, which helps you to plan your trip, explore local culture and have truly special experiences
• Ebooks – browse a list of our eBooks, which are available free to customers who have bought a printed book to the dedicated destination, or for purchase individually
• Destinations – browse a list of all available destination premium content for the app, available for free to customers who have bought a printed book to the dedicated destination, or for purchase individually
• Ships – hundreds of independent reviews of river (from May 2016) and ocean (from August 2016) cruise ships available for free to customers who bought a printed edition of "River Cruising in Europe" or "Cruising & Cruise Ships", or for purchase individually
This provides curated premium destination content and full access to all of the app’s information and functions, which is also completely available offline:
• Frequently updated hotel, restaurant and shop listings, carefully chosen and recommended by local experts
• Highlights and places of interest divided by category or region
• A to Z of practical information - a complete directory of handy travel tips on everything from visa regulations to local etiquette
• Around me option to find places of interest nearby
• You can plan a trip, creating a list of your chosen places to visit by adding them to Favourites, or add your own places
• Share your experience with friends using email, Twitter or Facebook
• Access to update for the latest listings following verification of your ownership, or purchase of the destination content
Ratings and Reviews
What’s the Fuss??
Got the Iceland book as a gift and discovered that through this app I can download a copy for free in iBooks. When I saw the reviews though, I was not expecting much. However, one major complaint that you had to give them permission to email you promotions etc is not true. After typing in my email and a password, the already-checked box says you give them permission. I unchecked the box, they accepted, and I was still able to download the book. Some of the features of the book are located in the app, but I was also, separately, able to download the complete book to iBooks. So this reader is very pleased!
Cannot view eBook within the app
The hard copy of the printed pocket guide is fine, but like another user review mentioned, I downloaded this app in hopes of just carrying around the free eBook supplement the book advertises. You do get the free eBook—but it doesn’t open in the app. You have to save it to an ePub file reader, such as iBooks. It won’t open in the Kindle app or Google Drive. Also, you’re required to sign up an account with the Walking Eye app just to download the stupid eBook, so watch out for spam from them now, ugh. Useless.
Was working but suddenly stopped
I originally used this app as a supplement to my book which detailed most of the cruise ships as I’m a Travel Agent. Recently I had to update my phone and now my app doesn’t work. Before it stopped listing any cruise ship altogether, it politely advised me that an update was available for purchase so I grabbed it. I also purchased through the app River cruises. Now I can’t see anything. I have done everything on my end to restart the app and I cannot redownload anything. Now I just want a refund.
- APA Publications (UK) Ltd.
- 79.2 MB
Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © Apa Digital AG 2017
- In-App Purchases
- Destination Iceland $4.99
- Rome - premium content (DCP) $4.99
- Destination Sicily (DCP) $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.