Insight Timer for iPad - Meditation Timer
By Insight Network Inc
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
** Now with Guided Meditations by your favorite teachers **
With beautiful Tibetan singing bowls and a vibrant worldwide meditation community, Insight Timer is the fun, modern way to support your meditation practice.
Imagine the sound of beautiful Tibetan singing bowls, gently and peacefully guiding you through your meditation session. Your attention focused inward with no need to worry about the clock…
Insight Timer gives you this and much more. It's simple enough to get started with just a few taps, yet powerful enough to handle the most sophisticated meditation routines with advanced features such as interval bells, presets and a meditation journal.
With Insight Connect, you can become part of a global meditation community - seeing at a glance people around the world who are meditating with you. Link your Facebook or Twitter account and you and your friends can follow and support one another's practice. It's also a great way to make new friends who share your love of meditation.
* * * * * * * * * *
- You'll love our bells! Recorded with the highest quality digital audio equipment, these bell samples are amazing. Crystal clear with extra long fade outs. They sound great with the built-in speaker, but to get the full effect, try using headphones or external speakers.
- Choose from eight different bells of varying size and metal compositions - from bright and clean to deep and complex with lovely overtones. A wood block sound is also included.
- Bells can be configured to ring at the start, the end, and at specified (or random) times during your session. Each bell can be set to ring once, twice or three times. The delay between strikes is configurable from 1 to 20 seconds.
- Insight Connect milestones are awarded for significant achievements as your practice progresses.
- Powerful logging and statistics features allow you to track your progress over time. Multiple charts, a complete session log and helpful statistics give you a complete picture of how your practice is evolving.
- Presets allow you to save an unlimited number of configurations and assign names to them. If you have multiple meditation routines (such as Morning and Evening), this makes it easy to switch between them without any configuration changes.
- You may set a background image from your own photo album. While the timer is running, your image is shown full screen. Optionally, the time display and controls can be hidden so that they are shown only when the image is tapped.
- Meditation Journal: You may enter notes about each session when the timer ends - a practice that many people find to be helpful and therapeutic. Your journal entries can be exported via an email attachment. Journal access may be password protected to ensure privacy.
- Insight Timer will run in the background. You can start the timer, then run other apps and the bells will continue to ring. When the timer is finished, a message will pop up to alert you.
- Insight Timer is geared toward meditation, but it also works great for yoga, Reiki, exercise or any other activity that you wish to time.
- You can pause and resume your timer session.
- Bells will ring even when the device is locked so you can turn off the screen to save power and eliminate ambient light.
- Optionally vibrate with or instead of bells.
- iPod tracks will continue to play while the timer is running.
- Bells will ring even if silent switch is on.
What's New in Version 7.3.4
+ Fixed problem with Interval Bell and Beginning Bell configuration.
Perfect as a timer, but...
As a meditation timer, it is no nonsense and straightforward. Works as advertised. However, many of the other user interface features and add-ons leave a great deal to be desired. For instance, you are in the middle of a 60 minute sit, but choose to end at say, 40. Hit the stop button, and none of your sitting time is recorded. The social aspect of it is nice in theory, but mediocre in implementation. The most recent upgrade to the app left me feeling as though they had rearranged deck chairs, but the ship is still a little off-course. Not much attention being paid to UI overall. I have been through every menu and button, but I cannot seem to find my conversations with friends, until someone sends me another message. People in my own town do not show up in the "Meditating Near You" button, but someone at the other end of the state does. Overall, they break with app navigation conventions and have inconsistent and cumbersome interface design.
That said, for the simple core timer functionality, it works just fine. There are so many simple enhancements and improvements I hope to see soon--I will wait patiently, upon my cushion, and see what shows in coming upgrades.
I have been able to meditate daily since using this app, after always intending to do so but often forgetting, being sidetracked by other pressing tasks, or feeling too tired to do it. This app makes timing the session a breeze and helps minimize the urge to check the time. Even more helpful is the journal feature which gives one the opportunity to make a few quick notes, or lengthy ones, at the end of each session. Also very helpful is the online community of fellow practitioners who began to reach out when I first used the app, and with whom I have become friendly over time. I also joined several groups via the app, now being a part of several online sanghas for an important sense of community. As a psychotherapist, I often recommend meditation to my clients, and I have recommended the Insight Timer to each of them, as well as mentioning it on my website and in many blog posts.
I attended a local meditation group session in December and was referred this app by one of the practitioners. I've since been using it to develop my meditation practice at home and it's been instrumental in helping me focus and track my progress. I've tried having a constant practice for many years but have had a difficult time being consistent, often doing it for a few weeks then forgetting about it for months at a time until I realized I needed it again. The community feature is nice so you get a sense of how many others are also on this path with you near and far. I especially like that they tell you how many people around the world meditated with you during a session and you could actually reach out to them. This is my favorite meditation app by far.