Instacast 4 - Podcast Client
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Instacast 4 is one of the most significant updates to Instacast thus far, and we’ve taken time to completely overhaul the UI and add even more features that we think you’ll love to use.
What's new in 4.0?
* A completely overhauled user interface, inspired by iOS 7 in both aesthetics and functionality.
* A sidebar menu to maximise vertical space and house quick access to additional views.
* The Up Next playback queue: a dynamic playlist that allows you to queue episodes for sequential playback.
* Improved multitasking and background functionality, meaning that subscriptions are refreshed and downloaded whilst your phone is idle.
* Instead of informing you to refresh a feed to access a new episode, push notifications now alert you to the fact that new episodes have been downloaded already and are available to play instantly.
All the great features Instacast users are already familiar with:
* Detailed subscription management and customisation.
* Lists, Smart Lists and Bookmarks.
* An elegant, sophisticated media player.
* Offline playback of downloaded episodes.
* Interact with episodes by reading show notes in an easy-to-read format, and share episodes with third-party services.
* Import your podcasts from iTunes or other podcast clients.
* Seamless, instant synchronisation between other copies of Instacast on iOS and OS X via Instacast Cloud.
* A universal app for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad on iOS 7 or higher required.
Localized in English, German, French, Italian, Japanese, Dutch, Arabic, Danish, Polish and Brazilian Portuguese
For more detailed information please see Instacast's product page on the Vemedio website: http://vemedio.com/instacast
What's New in Version 4.2
- Adds News Mode: As soon as new episodes are available, marks all old episodes as played and removes the download media
- Changed auto-download behavior to download all new episodes and not only the most recent one
- Changed mobile data usage setting
- Fixed Up Next behavior with custom lists
- Fixed issues reordering or deleting episodes from custom lists
- Fixed other issues with Up Next
- Fixed playback speed issues
Fantastic app, but with one critical problem
This is arguably the best podcast client in the App Store. I love the way that it organizes my podcasts and allows for different play lists. The interface makes it very easy to download single episodes instead of subscribing to the entire show. And there are a lot of small listening features that I really enjoy taking advantage of.
However, there is one critical flaw in this app that makes it very difficult to give it higher than three stars. The synchronizing feature works very well through Instacast's servers, but whenever I am logged into my account, it drains battery in the phone gets very hot very quickly. I have completely drained my iPhone 5S's battery within two hours because of this. This is still the case even when I have all radios turned off. I've contacted the developer, and it seems that they're aware of the situation, but so far I haven't seen anything regarding a fix other than to simply not use the synchronization feature. Because I listen on both my iPhone and iPad, however, it would be very convenient if this feature actually worked the way it supposed to. Otherwise, it's a great app.
The Best Podcast Client that exists!
I love instacast. I’ve tried Downcast and Castro, and while downcast is perhaps slightly more granular, Instacast is much better designed. Castro is nice, but just not really my style, and frankly not letting users re-order their subscriptions is bizarre.
Instacast works incredibly well, is gorgeous, does everything I want in a podcasting client (and then some) and even has a companion OS X app!
I recommed purchasing both. Vemedio has made instacast cloud, which dutifully syncs between all you devices (computer included). After switching between 3-4 phones, I had some issues with sync, but the developer kindly took time to help me individually, and fixed the issue. Service with a smile is always a nice change of pace.
Can’t recommend highly enough. Its a great app made by a great developer who deserves your support.
Its super cheap, for the feature set and incredible polish, and worth every penny.
Great app, with some flaws
This app is fantastic most of the time and makes it so easy to stay on top of my podcasts without having to do anything. But it does have some flaws:
1. Playback problems. As others have said, the "up next" feature is good, but doesn't work well with playlists. There should be a way to have it do continuous playback based on where you are at in the app rather than just using "up next".
Also, sometimes for me, when it is playing in the background and a podcast ends, it still doesn't even start the next one in "up next," requiring me to go back into the app to start it again.
2. "News mode" could use some flexibility. This is a great feature to add back in and is an improvement, but it only allows you to keep the latest one, auto-deleting older ones. It would be nice if you could specify on a per-podcast level how many to keep. For example, for one podcast I might only care to keep the most recent one, but others I might like to keep the latest 3.
- Category: News
- Updated: Jan 22, 2014
- Version: 4.2
- Size: 5.4 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bokmål, Norwegian, Danish, Dutch, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish
- Seller: vemedio
- © 2013 Vemedio
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.