Instalicious, for Instagram
By Said M. Marouf
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Instalicious is the elegant way to experience Instagram on your Mac.
With its clean interface you'll enjoy browsing your Instagram feed, photos, popular photos, photos you've liked, and more. Instalicious is Retina ready and supports a rich gesture based interface that allows you to easily maneuver within the app. A rich set of keyboard shortcuts is also supported. Looks amazing on Retina displays too.
NOTE: Uploading photos is not supported at the moment due to Instagram's limitations on 3rd party apps. You also need an Instagram account to be able to use Instalicious. You can create an account via Instagram's free iPhone app.
• Retina ready.
• View your feed, popular photos, photos you've posted, and photos you've liked.
• Video Support.
• View your profile and user profiles. View followers and friends too.
• Save photos to your Mac. Drag and drop support too.
• Search for users and tags (prefix with @ to search users only, # tags only).
• Save your favorite tags, users, and locations.
• Like and comment on photos.
• Delete your comments and moderate comments on your photos.
• View likes and comments on photos.
• View photos at specific locations.
• Share photos via Twitter (Mountain Lion only).
• View full photo size (press the Spacebar).
• View photos and their authors on Instagram.com.
• Copy photo URL.
• Clickable hashtags and usernames within captions and comments.
• Full two finger gesture support (visit instaliciousapp.com for a full set of gestures)
• Full keyboard navigation support (visit instaliciousapp.com for a full set of shortcuts)
• Double click title bar to scroll to top.
• Notification center support (optional).
• Icon badge (optional).
• Pin to top on refresh (optional).
• Auto refresh support.
Hope you enjoy Instalicious!
What's New in Version 1.1.1
- Bug Fixes
Nice if a little buggy
I really like this app for having my instagram feed up to view. I don't have any significant complaints about the design and functionality. A couple bugs keep it from being perfect though. It stops auto-refreshing after a bit and has to be restarted to get it to start refreshing again. Also, it crashes often when displaying videos.
it’s crashed while playing a video
other than, it’s great 3rd party instagram app :)
you guys should fix it.
Pluses and Minuses...
+++ Pluses +++
Very convenient to have a desktop client like this. If you like the UI in the official Twitter client, then this app will appeal to you. You can conveniently just put the feed to the side of your desktop, and not have to worry about it taking up all the screen real estate.
Performance is great! Nice to be able to quickly scroll through your feed.
--- Minuses ---
The only negative thing that I noticed right off is that you have to hover your mousepointer over the photos to see the description, and when the description does appear it's truncated with ellipses.
Unfortunately, in my opinion, the description is the other half of the post to Instagram and, if it's not there, then I'm missing half of the information about the post. If I have to exert effort to see it, then it just gets irritating after a while.
Therefore, just as in the official iOS app, I want to see beneath the photo or at least toggle visibility of:
1. The description <-- VERY important.
2. List of usernames who liked the photo (up to 10 or so, then just the number)
3. List of comments.
It makes sense for the "Like" and "Comment" buttons to become visible when I mouse over a given post, since at that point, I want to take action on it. Otherwise, I would prefer to just scroll through and scan the photo/description/likes list/comments without having to take any extra action on it.
In general, I would recommend this app since it feels familiar, and I'm sure after using it a while most of the negative aspects will be just something I adjust to in this version.
I looked around for a preference or an option to show the description/likes/comments directly in the feed itself but could not find it, so if it's there, then I apologize. If these options are not present, it would be awesome to have them be toggle-able, and I would totally bump this up to a five-star rating at that point. But today, it's gotta be four.