Help your child learn to read by using Instant Words by Teach Speech Apps. This simple flash card app makes it easy to practice instant words anywhere. Based on the Fry’s instant word list that is broken down into groups. Instant Words by Teach Speech Apps includes words 1 - 500.
It is important for early readers to instantly recognize these sight words / instant words / high frequency words in order to become proficient and fluent readers. Fry's Instant Words are the most common words used in reading and writing in the English language and are ranked in order of frequency.
Dr. Fry's research resulted in the following findings:
- 25 words make up approximately one-third of all published text.
- 100 words comprise approximately 50% of all of the words found in publications.
- 300 words make up approximately 65% of all written material.
It is recommended that:
- The first 100 words should be mastered by Grade 1.
- The second 100 words should be mastered by Grade 2.
- The third 100 words should be mastered by Grade 3.
- The remaining lists (words 301 - 1000) should be mastered in Grades 4 - 5.
- Includes words 1 - 500
- Simple and colorful
- Develops reading, spelling and language skills
- Enriches vocabulary
- Easy swipe feature to advance cards or auto advance after correct answer
- Hear the word read aloud by tapping the word
- Keep track of number of correct and incorrect words
- Aligned with the Common Core Standards
- No in-app purchases
- No ads
Teach Speech Apps encourages learning side-by-side with an engaged adult.
Teach Speech Apps does not collect personal information. To learn more, visit : http://www.teachspeechapps.com/privacy-policy.html
Email Teach Speech Apps with questions or feedback: email@example.com
Find / Like / Follow us:
Facebook: Teach Speech Apps, LLC
Ratings and Reviews
Good for younger kids
A great way to entertain the kids, and help them learn at the same time.
Great flashcard app
This is a simple and clean Fry flashcard app. I love that you can work on the words in smaller groups and that you can randomize or work on the words in order. The option to hear the word is a fantastic option for when the children are working on their own and struggling with a word. Great app!
Why would you want a reading app that talks!?
On its face, this app does exactly what it sets out to do. It is an interactive set of Fry's vocabulary flash cards in progressive order. That's good.
You can focus on each set in order, and check how many your kid got right/wrong. That's also good.
However, if you tap the word, THE IPAD READS THE WORD ALOUD. Why would anyone want this as a feature on an app that solely focuses on the reading mastery of a specific supply of words? There is no evidence or research to support that having those words read aloud nets any positive learning; on the contrary, the immediate gratification of having those words read out loud circumvents any real attempt to decipher the word, promoting instead a reliance on memorization which is NOT recommended to achieve grade-based fluency.
TL;DR: If you buy this app, then mute your iPad and don't tell the kid.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.