Interaction of Color by Josef Albers
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
**Winner of 2013 Best Interactive Product in the Tablet/Handheld category, from Communication Arts
**Winner of 2013 Spark Award for Best App
First published in 1963, Josef Albers’s Interaction of Color is one of the most influential books on color ever written. The classic text achieves its full, interactive potential in this stunning new application for iPad. The full app is free to download, and allows you to sample Chapter 10, including accompanying text, video commentary, two interactive plates, and the palette tool. The complete app--featuring the full text, 125 plates, 60 interactive studies, and over two hours of video commentary—can be unlocked through an in-app purchase, and features the following:
• Full text and plate commentary, describing Albers’s renowned principles on how to see and understand color.
• Over 125 original color studies, including flaps and moving pieces.
• Over 60 interactive plates that reproduce the experience of working with paper, a captivating feature inspired by Albers’s teaching methodologies.
• A beautiful new palette tool, in which colors are manipulated like paper.
• The ability to create, save, and export your final designs and palettes into any vector-based design software.
• Over two hours of video commentary, including archival video of Albers and interviews with experts explaining key principles, making even the most challenging problems easy to understand.
• Interviews with leading designers and artists explaining how they use color in their professional practices.
This revolutionary new digital edition will transform the way color is taught and understood among teachers, students, designers, artists, and anyone interested in learning how to perceive and use color.
“Amazing. Beyond groundbreaking. . . . This is the example the world has been waiting for. An extraordinary piece of education and inspiration.”—Debbie Millman, Design Matters
“Mesmerizing….A fresh way to engage with Albers’s lessons.”
—Pilar Viladas, T: The New York Times Style Magazine
“Enlighten yourself with one of the most important books on color ever written. It's called Interaction of Color, and now you can experience it on your iPad. . . . Released by Yale University Press [the app] adds layers of interactivity to bring the experience closer to what Albers had envisioned.”—Gizmodo.com
“A modernized, interactive presentation of Albers’s teachings. With fingers instead of paintbrushes and a touch screen instead of paper, users can move and manipulate over 125 color plates in 60 interactive studies. Concepts like color relativity and vibrating boundaries come to life. . . . This new and different iteration of [Albers’s] theories adds dimension and interactivity for the digital age, sparking just the kind of discoveries that fueled his life’s work.”—fastcompany.com
NOTE: If you are having trouble hearing the audio on the video segments included in the app, please make sure your Side Switch settings are adjusted from “Mute” to “Lock Screen” to ensure that the app’s audio will play properly. You can consult Apple's description of the iPad's side switch tool at
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4085 for more information.
What's New in Version 1.5
* Added a video icon, similar to the current “interactive” square icon, that displays below plate thumbnails to show users that a video is available in the commentary section.
* User can now select chapter locations from roman numerals in sidebar of App.
* Added a "trash can" button to allow users to clean up the workspace when creating studies.
Excellent. Love it!
I am a certified color geek. I took a version of the actual Albers course when I was a student at Cooper Union and I teach color theory now at a major university.
I always keep a copy of the original (super expensive) Albers book in my office, and while students are always interested it can be very hard to convey exactly how the exercises are done and why they are important unless you have a pack of coloraid paper handy so you can swap out colors in front of them. The key to understanding the interaction of color is all about seeing the effects happen in front of you in real time.
This app can be a little glitchy but it's a fantastic instructional aid for me. In fact it's a pretty addictive video game if you are color geek and great tool for fine tuning your color vision
Downloaded to my mac pro- only works on iPad
I downloaded this app but it won't work on my mac pro- couldn't they make a version that works on something other than an iPad which I don't have? I have a samsung galaxy tablet but it's not available on that. Should be designed for something besides the iPad. So I guess I have to spend at least $300 or more to try it? Now that I've seen the new iPad pro with a keyboard I know I will want that. I don't like typing on tablets. At least on a phone you could try it out and see if you like it or not.
The definitive book
Interaction of Color is THE definitive work on color and color interaction. Anyone interested in design or color theory owes it to themselves to buy this. Once unlocked, the app includes rare color interaction plates that were previously unavailable to modern designers. And at $13 it's an absolute steal.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Education
- Updated: Aug 20, 2014
- Version: 1.5
- Size: 397 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Yale University
- © 2013 Yale University
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- Complete English Edition$9.99