iReal Pro - Music Book & Play Along
By Technimo LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Practice makes perfect. iReal Pro offers an easy-to-use tool to help musicians of all levels master their art. It simulates a real-sounding band that can accompany you as you practice. The app also lets you create and collect chord charts of your favorite songs for reference.
~One of Time Magazine's 50 Best Inventions of 2010~
“It’s the perfect technology for a practicing musician: high-quality digital audio, mixable, transposable into any key and completely mobile. Now every aspiring musician has a backup band in their pocket.” – Tim Westergren, Pandora Founder
• It's a Book:
Create, edit, print, share and collect chord charts of your favorite songs for reference while practicing or performing.
• It's a Band:
Practice with a realistic sounding piano (or guitar), bass and drum accompaniments for any downloaded or user-created chord chart.
Have a virtual band accompany you as you practice
• Choose from 47 different accompaniment styles (Swing, Ballad, Gypsy Jazz, Bluegrass, Country, Rock, Funk, Reggae, Bossa Nova, Latin,...)
• Personalize each style with a variety of sounds including piano, fender rhodes, acoustic and electric guitars, acoustic and electric basses, drums, vibraphone, organ, and more
• Record yourself playing or singing along with the accompaniment
Play, edit, and import any songs you want
• 1000s of songs can be imported from the forums in a few simple steps
• Edit existing songs or create your own with the Editor
• The Player will play any song that you edit or create
• Create multiple editable playlists
Improve your skills with the included chord diagrams
• Display guitar, ukulele tabs and piano fingerings for any of your chord charts
• Look up piano, guitar and ukulele fingerings for any chord
• Display scale recommendations for each chord of a song to help with improvisations
Practice in the way, and at the level, that you choose
• Includes 50 exercises for practicing common chord progressions
• Transpose any chart to any key or to number notation
• Loop a selection of measures of a chart for focused practicing
• Advanced practice settings (automatic tempo increase, automatic key transposition)
• Global Eb, Bb, F and G transposition for horn players
Share, print, and export – so your music follows you wherever you need it!
• Share individual charts or whole playlists with other iReal Pro users via email and the forums
• Export charts as PDF and MusicXML
• Export audio as WAV, AAC and MIDI
• Support for AudioBus and guitar connection kits
• Support for AirTurn™ and other bluetooth page turners
Always backup your songs!
What's New in Version 7.0.1
This application is hands-down the most helpful resource for jazz musicians. With access to 1300 fantastic jazz standards, one can play along with the chord changes in all 12 keys, at a very wide range of tempos, and with optional help about what scale to use over the current chord and the spelling of that chord. You can loop the tracks for a set number of times, and let it play in the background if needed. Unfortunately, the app does not allow you to change the transposition for transposing instruments, so everything that is played is displayed for c instruments. Overall, the app is a fantastic ear training tool and I still haven't dove into the massive amounts of features that this app contains. You definitely get your money's worth and more.
On the gig or practicing...5 stars
I think this is THE essential app for aspiring jazz musicians. On the gig it is great to have the transpose feature. Chord names are easy to read, even on a phone except for the longest charts. I've also used the desktop app a few times to create charts from scratch which I then easily emailed to other band mates as PDFs for those that don't use stuff like this or in the iReal format for the smarties that do. ;)
I use the app to practice melodies and solo ideas. I always push my students to use it, too.
The only downside with this app does not actually have anything to do with iReal Pro but is related to copyright law: the melodies of these tunes are protected under copyright law so the app cannot include the melodies. There are no notes, only chord names so you need another resource (sometimes illegal) to learn the melodies. This can sometimes be hard if someone wants to sit in, change the original key, but doesn't know how to come in at he head of the tune without a melody guide note. That's why you gotta study tunes everyday!
All this to say that iReal Pro is an amazing resource for any student or professional in jazz. Easily 5 stars
5 out of 5
This is the hippest music app I've found. I use it constantly for practice, instruction, rhythm chart arrangements, etc., etc. I've recommended it to band mates and required my students to purchase it. Each upgrade delivers better sounds and more flexibility.
I have two small quibbles:
- The walking bass too often lands on the major or minor 3rd on beat "1" of a measure. This can be very musical on a one chord vamp or in freer types of jazz, but when it occurs randomly, as it seems to do, it makes the chord resolution sound weak.
- About "Doo Doo Cats": I don't know where you guys are from but in my neck of the woods, if I ever called out "Hey boys,let's play that 'Doo Doo Cats', groove " on the bandstand I'd be confronted with blank stares or flying beer bottles.
- Category: Music
- Updated: Mar 15, 2016
- Version: 7.0.1
- Size: 63.3 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Technimo LLC
- © Technimo
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Jazz Styles PackFree
- Pop Styles PackFree
- Latin Styles PackFree
- Guitar ChordsFree
- Chord ScalesFree
- Piano ChordsFree
- Extra Jazz StylesFree