iSample - Sampler / Recorder / Looper
By Way Out Ware, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Sample your world!
iSample 2.0 is a very powerful sample based music production tool. New with the 2.0 update are an array of features that make iSample a leader among the beat making / pocket studio apps. iSample ships with over 50 MBs of samples created by Mutato Muzika (founded and run by Devo's Mark Mothersbaugh) that provide a great starting place to create your own jams, and also to get started with iSample.
Here's what people are saying about iSample 2.0:
"iSample is incredibly deep, containing features found normally on professional audio software costing far more. And it’s loads of fun to play with." - Roger Linn (of Roger Linn Designs and MPC inventor)
".... the functionality you've put into the new version is astounding. It took me all of 5 mins to work out how to use it. It's so logical" - Darren Scarce (iSample 1.0 owner)
"Wayoutware has created a an extremely cool app here with ISample. It's not only a very solid sampler for the iphone, but it also elegantly opens up new avenues of creativity which I have really enjoyed exploring. This is the way an iphone music app should be!" - Jordan Rudess (Keyboardist for Dream Theater and an iPhone music expert)
If you would like to learn more about iSample, please check out the iSample 2.0 manual at http://budurl.com/isamplemanual
iSample 2.0 is very feature rich such that covering all features in a list is difficult at best. Below is an attempt to do so.
iSample's features include:
* 6 separate sampler engines that can record and playback and loop samples up to 30 seconds in length.
* WiFi Sharing that allow you to upload and download samples using a clean and powerful web browser based interface.
* Easily accessible tempo management with a Tap feature.
* Sample trimming with pinch to zoom, two finger scrolling and scrubbing.
* Tempo based sample length quantization.
* Graphical Looper screen that allow you to position samples dynamically while looping.
* 6-channel Mixer.
* Delay and Reverb effects.
* Pattern sequencer with 12 stored patterns.
* Song mode that allows you to chain patterns together to create songs.
* Ergonomically designed for the iPhone or iPod touch screen.
* Even large fingers can play easily.
* Unique multi-touch recording makes for very fast and accurate mutiple sample captures and accurate slicing of sounds.
* Record lock feature allows you to create longer recordings without touching the pads.
* 6 sample pads with direct to file recording.
* Very fast response to pad touches.
* Up to 6 samples can be played at the same time.
* Banks of pads can be saved and loaded.
iSample is a great tool for singer/song writers to capture song ideas because it lets you create up to 6 separate parts on the pads allowing you to play with your songs order or just to preserve ideas for later use.
iSample is a very responsive sampler/looper that lets you create 6 samples in a bank. You can load and save your sample banks to create a library of sounds. When using the built-in speaker as audio output, iSample allows you to overdub by allowing you to play sample pads while recording.
Note: We have submitted an update to Apple to correct an issue with iPod Touch devices that causes iSample to make no sound. In the mean time, if an iPhone style headset (with mic) is used on your iPod Touch or an external mic is connected, iSample will work correctly.
What's New in Version 2.0.2
This version includes 6 new drum set banks.
An issue that caused no sound on iPod Touches with no mic has been corrected. This issue only affects iPod Touches with iPhone OS 3.1.2.
An issue that caused trim settings to be lost during save has also been corrected.
Nice sound creation tool
If you like scrubbing around on sound files for unique noise and want an app to loop, meter and organize your sound creations into patterns, this is a good choice as an editor. What I especially like about the app is the easy, intuitive workflow.
However, maybe I'm missing something, but I'd really like to be able to individually pan each sample. The mixer has gain, but no balance that I can find. I hope i'm not being dense (still on my honeymoon with this app) but each sample should have it's own balance.
This would be the ultimate five star sampler IF two additions were made: 1) a function to determine the BPM of the music being heard/recorded by iSample, and 2) the tempo of recorded samples could be adjusted to match the current BPM. Both of these suggestions are available in other apps so it seems like an easy enough request.
The sound quality is great, the interface is amazing and there are more functions than I can handle. So far I love it except that beat matching gets tricky without a BMP adjuster.
Best Audio/Music Composition App Yet
I have downloaded and auditioned almost every music comp app available for iPod touch. This iSampler app has the best features for anyone serious about multi-track recording, editing,mixing, and saving on the ipod and iPhone.
Really? I can add effects and edit waveforms on recordings I make with the ipod or import?!! I'm creamin'!
Really! This is a serious and well written tool for any musician or audio engineer.
Get it and see for yourself!