Isle of Bxnes
By Whalenought Studios LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
"An incredibly challenging hack-and-slash mobile game that will put you in tough situations not to win, but to minimize your level of failure. Yes, it's like its developers took XCOM, put it in a stone age setting and swapped the turn-based tactical combat with action sequences. And you know what? It works."
- Portable Gaming Region
"There's a lot to see and do in Isle of Bxnes, and you'll want to keep playing to uncover as much as possible - even when you're dying and losing it all consistently."
- Pocket Gamer
Survive the brutal trek east with your tribe in this bloody stone age action role playing game. Judge every encounter in these foreign lands and plan your attacks against beasts, cannibals and warring tribesman. Meanwhile, allocate resources to build a backup army of your offspring, knowing that just a few hits can leave you a lifeless pile of meat.
Inspired by the insanely difficult action rpgs of yesteryear with the session-based randomization of games today, this game features:
- Beautifully hand drawn pixel art and featuring thousands of animations
- Permadeath. Your tribe dies without you as their hunter.
- Reincarnation through your sons (who have randomly chosen skills, attack dmg and stamina)
- Level randomization each play session with a huge variety of enemies, non-hostiles & boss battles
- Unique tribes to choose from with a variety of skill paths to upgrade as you progress
- Tons of unique art and variety in inventory items and weaponry
- Choose how you want to allocate the limited resources you find while exploring islands
- No iap or pay-to-win. Ever.
* Optimized for iPhone 4s+ and latest generation iPod Touch.
* Currently not optimized for iPad Air but will be looking into a fix in future updates
* * iPad coming next week!
* * 4s users advised to use low graphics settings for best gameplay.
* * There is a bug when changing the graphics settings and continuing a game, it is reverted back to whatever settings you originally had for the game. We're fixing this and adding some more optimization for the lower end phones in a patch this week.
What's New in Version 1.6
iPad Air Optimization
Best to wait for more updates...
While what little that can be glimpsed of this app looks wonderful, it is simply unplayable on a 4s in its present state. Constant lagging and crashing point toward some serious programming issues, but even those with faster smartphones should be warned about the game's minuscule graphics.
Those with newer tablets will find much to enjoy (if they get used to the tricky controls) but the rest of us will have to wait until the developers sort things out.
I look forward to updating my review when this happens...
After receiving an ipad Air for Xmas I'm going to update my original review from 2 stars to 4.
Game is much more enjoyable on a larger screen, and I warn those with small screens that the graphics may make play difficult, and 4S users should be prepared for lags and crashing.
Minor complaints include some sort of visual prompt that lets you know what exactly you've just picked up, and I'm still not sure why some items are picked up automatically while others are not. My biggest complaint, and the main reason this game does not get 5 stars, is the incredibly frustrating control system, which will often have you running and swinging in the wrong direction and makes the battling of more agile foes downright futile.
I have completed one run through so far and greatly enjoyed it. The battle system is fun, but the controls could use a little work. I occasionally lost control of my character when rolling around (the stick returned to its default position even though my finger hadn't moved).
I only found two totems so I didn't get a chance to level up too much or unlock the third tier of upgrades (perk rewarded for finding totems is random). I wish the game was a lot longer so that I could have unlocked everything.
I didn't get a chance to use reincarnation system, but it's a really cool idea.
The graphics are fantastic. Gotta love the retro look.
Over all, I would highly recommend getting this game. It's definitely worth the price of admission. I just hope that the developers add additional content over time.
Caveman can't smash lag
With some updates this could turn into a pretty cool game. But right now due to the difficultly of game play (good) crossed with realllly bad lag (bad) I cant get into it much.
The pixel graphics are very artistically done. The game play seems pretty interesting. You may be a caveman with a club but there's seems to be a lot of strategy involved in staying alive.
Cons are definitely the lag, the lag on load screens/party screen, the joystick control (which could be more just the lag issue), and the tutorial really didn't teach me anything.
I could see this as being one of my favorite games of the year once the lag issue is resolved but as it stands now it is really playable.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Dec 06, 2013
- Version: 1.6
- Size: 78.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Whalenought Studios LLC
- © Whalenought Studios
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.