By Michael Golden
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
iSpin Toolkit requres iPhone OS 3.0 or later to run
Do you need an easy way to measure your twist angle? How about measuring a yarn's grist in wraps per inch for either plied yarn or singles?
Do you want to figure out how many twists per inch to ply your singles to get a balanced yarn?
Are you tired of going back to Mabel Ross's and Alden Amos's books for that formula you can never remember?
These capabilities and many more are now available in the first iPhone app for handspinners: iSpin Toolkit.
iSpin Toolkit contains:
• Twist Angle Finder: Lay your yarn over the screen and swipe until the lines on the screen to match the angle of your twist. Can be used
for singles or plied yarns.
• WPI Gauge: Lay one strand of yarn over the screen and scroll until you find a stripe that matches the width of your yarn. For very fine yarns, wrap around the iPod five times. Can measure anywhere from 2 to 100 WPI.
• TPI Gauge: Hold your yarn over the square and count the bumps to determine the twists per inch. For singles, let the singles self-ply, count the bumps, and divide by 2.
• Rulers: Full screen inch and centimeter rulers.
iSpin Toolkit contains 13 Calculators for all your spinning needs:
• Project Estimator : How much fiber do I need to spin the specified yarn?
• WPI to Approximate Grist: Converts from wraps per inch to yards per pound.
• Grist Converter: Converts between yards per pound, yards per ounce, meters per kilogram, meters per gram, and even miles per pound and kilometers per kilogram.
• Niddy Noddy Calculator: How long is the yarn I wrapped on my niddy noddy?
• Simple Balanced Yarn TPI from Singles: I have two singles spun to 20 TPI, how much twist should I apply to make a balanced yarn?
• Singles TPI from Desired Yarn TPI: I want a plied yarn of 8 TPI, how much twist should I put into the singles?
• Singles WPI from Final Yarn WPI: I want a plied yarn of 22 WPI. What should the grist of the singles be?
• Plied WPI from Singles WPI: I have singles of 18 wpi. What will its plied grist be?
• Fiber Weight to Singles WPI for Length & Plies: I have 7 ounces of fiber, and I want 2,200 yards of 2-ply. what should the grist of the singles be? What will the plied yarn's WPI be?
• TPI from Wheel Configuration: Given my wheel ratio and how many times I treadle for my draft zone length, how much spin am I putting into my yarn?
• # of Treadles for Desired TPI: How many time should I treadle for a given draft zone length and a given wheel ratio to get my desired TPI?
• TPI for Firmness Calculators using either the Mabel Ross or the Alden Amos Method: These calculators use two different methods to determine the final yarn's TPI based on the desired WPI and firmness of the final yarn. (soft, medium, firm, etc...).
Each calculator includes instructions and the formulas used for each method.
iSpin Toolkit also includes a reference section that discusses TPI basics and other topics, plus instructions for all the tools.
Written by Michael Golden, author of KnitGauge and iKnit NeedleSizer iPhone apps. Feel free to email him (address available in the app or from his web site shown below.)
Look for the youtube video demo coming soon!
Awesome App for Spinners!
Are you a spinner? If so, you NEED this app! There are so many great features in this handy, user-friendly app. Each tool on this app has instructions on how to use it, what the calculation is for and why it is helpful to use it while you are spinning. My favorite feature is the WPI gauge. I have yet to find one that is so easy to use, and there is even a chart with the standardized yarn weight to compare your yarn to! Another great feature on this app is the calculators, there are 13!! With all of the calculators, it will be easy to replicate your yarn if you run out and need to spin more! The calculator I can see myself using ALL THE TIME will be the niddy noddy calculator (it even remembers your niddy noddy length!) It is so convenient to have! With all of the great features of this app and having it handy on my iPod Touch I can see myself becoming a better spinner!!
This is it!
I've been waiting for an app just like this one and I'm so glad its finally here! All the tools necessary to create a beautifully balanced yarn are available in one little application for your iPhone / iPod Touch. I no longer need to have my WPI, rulers and calculator handy anymore! All I need is my iPhone which is always by my side. I decided to email the developer today after purchasing this app to share my thoughts and join his mailing list. He wrote write back quickly with a sincere note of appreciation for my purchase and a request that I make him aware of any issues and/or suggestions I may have. This is my 3rd app purchase from this developer. I'm very happy to support any developer who is sensitive to the needs of the craft community and gracious enough to seek suggestions. Get this app, you won't be disappointed!
Absolutely Necessary for Spinners
Love, love, love it. So thorough!! Especially the calculators ... so many calculators for things I never thought to calculate, things for which I've just been making a "best guess." The developer has been thoughtful enough to include black and white and gray references, depending on the color of yarn being spun.
For a NEXT update, I think it would be wonderful if we could start keeping project/sample reference cards ... We could snap and store a picture of our single or plied yarn, along with all the specs - wpi, tpi, fiber content, source, what project we're spinning for (hat, sweater, etc.), how much yardage we need, etc.
Thank you again! This is a glorious app!
- Category: Utilities
- Released: Nov 12, 2009
- Version: 1.0.0
- Size: 1.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Michael Golden
- © 2009 Michael Golden
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.