iSSH - SSH / VNC Console
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
A full-featured SSH and Telnet emulator of VT100, VT102, VT220, ANSI, and xterm terminals integrated with a tunneled VNC client, RDP client and an X server.
Secure, powerful, intuitive, configurable and complete are a few words used to describe iSSH. A universal app for both the iPhone and the iPad, hands down iSSH is the best ssh client available. iSSH is the only app with agent forwarding, tunneling and an X11 server available within the app.
Featured in Apple's preferred list of iOS apps for Mobile IT.
iSSH received a perfect score as reviewed by Macworld and is featured in both their "Highest Rated Business" and "Essential Business" categories.
"Sure, I lived for years without an iPad with iSSH on it, but can you really call that living? No." -- Twitter User
• Multitasking support - can hold connections open for up to 10 minutes
• TextExpander support for quick access in the terminal
• Arbitrary port tunneling through SSH
• Tunneled VNC client (or unencrypted using a "raw" connection)
• Tunneled RDP client
• Tunneled X server
• SSH, telnet, VNC and RDP all work via EDGE, WiFi and 3G
• Multiple simultaneous connections
• Nearly every encoding supported
• Per-server reachability notification
• Features a VGA BBS ANSI compatible font
• Portrait and landscape mode
• Adaptable terminal size, fixed to 80x24, or user configurable on iPad. All with exhaustive scroll-back
• Exhaustive key configuration support. Has arrow keys (by pop-up or by toolbar). ctrl, alt, esc, tab, shift, Fn keys (1-10), ` key, PgUp, PgDown and for those keys not listed provides multiple means to add them.
• Store any number of connections and configurations and organize them into groups
• Securely import and export configurations between many devices
• Command execution on connection
• Optional keyboard transparency
• Completely customizable keyboard, from Dvorak to rare international keyboards
• Four (six on iPad) selectable monospaced fonts
• RSA and DSA key generation and exchange via email, password-connected SSH or pasteboard
• Can support "uninterrupted" connections via GNU Screen and the command option.
• Transfers public keys automatically
• Optional DWM window manager for X server
• ssh-agent support
• Agent forwarding
• Bluetooth keyboard support for arrow keys, function keys and a remapping of the ctrl key through option key mapping in either X11/VNC server or terminal. When enabled, an Option+key press maps to equivalent Ctrl+key press.
iSSH is effectively several clients in one, containing functionality for ssh/telnet/raw connections, an X11 server, VNC tunneling as well as RDP tunneling. iSSH supports multiple, simultaneous connections with more complete terminal compatibility, more configurable macro and key options and a more intuitive UI than any other other SSH client in the App Store.
For those who may experience issues VNCing into 10.7 systems, please enable "VNC to Mac" in the connection configuration.
What's New in Version 5.7.1
* Bug fixes
A small UI change renders this much less usable
In the latest version, there is a small soft keyboard that obscures the bottom line of any given terminal session, if you're using a bluetooth keyboard.
If you press the keyboard icon in the control area at the top of the screen (that doesn't take up terminal session real estate), then the app STOPS LISTENING TO THE BLUETOOTH KEYBOARD.
This means that I must blindly type the clear command to a shell session if want to actually see what I'm typing.
Further, the developer site only documents the iPhone version of the app. I would think that iPad users would represent a large percentage of the user base.
These latest changes took what was, for me, a nearly flawless app, and, essentially, have forced me back to my laptop for working remotely with my servers.
Not happy about that. Really can't recommend this for the kind of really heavy weight work it used to be able to do.
SSH, VNC work great
The SSH and SSH tunneled VNC features work. I haven't see SSH tunneled VNC on any other iOS app. In VNC, you can pan and scale the screen with pinch and drags. Its a little hard to use the GUI over VNC because touches are interpreted as pans instead of drags. There is a multitouch thing you can pop up to move the mouse and another thing that has the mouse buttons on it and its possible to make it work. The X server feature doesn't really work unless you just want to run Xeyes, its way too crashy. SSH/VNC works with an external keyboard, unlike many iOS SSH programs I've tried which have trouble with the shift key.
decent ssh client
It's a decent ssh client. Terminal emulation is not perfect but usable with text editors. For VNC, I prefer other VNC clients.
It's the only ssh client for iOS with mosh protocol support, which is the main reason I use iSSH. However, the utility of mosh support in iSSH is considerably reduced by the fact that iSSH needlessly times out connections. Mosh clients for other platforms survive for weeks and even persist through network shutdowns.
- Category: Business
- Updated: Oct 24, 2013
- Version: 5.7.1
- Size: 8.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Dean Beeler
- © Zinger-Soft
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Mosh Compatibility$0.99