iThoughtsX is a mindmapping tool for the Mac (iOS and Windows versions also available.)
Mindmapping enables you to visually organise your thoughts, ideas and information.
• Task lists.
• Project planning.
• Goal setting.
• Course Notes/Revision.
• Meeting Notes.
Import and export to and from many of the most popular desktop application formats:
• OPML (OmniOutliner, Scrivener etc.)
• Excel/Numbers/Outlook/ToodleDo (CSV)
• Plain/rich text
• ...plus import only support for CMAP, Scapple, Mindmeister, Mindnode, Mindmapper, SimpleMind and MyThoughts
• MS Powerpoint/Keynote (PPTX)
• MS Word/Pages (DOCX)
• MS Project (XML)
• Website (HTML + attachments)
• Flashcard (Quizlet.com / Cram.com)
• Things (Task Management App)
• iCloud Calendar/Reminders
• Cloud synchronisation with iCloud, Dropbox and WebDAV
• Handoff (start editing a map on one device - finish up on another)
• Send and open email attachements
• Cut/Copy/Paste within and between maps and other apps (e.g. Mail, Safari and Notes etc.)
• Upload and download community generated maps from Biggerplate
Flexible Topic Attributes:
• Colour / Shape
• Images / Icons
• Rich text (using Markdown)
• Hyperlinks (websites, other maps, other topics)
• Callouts / Floating topics
• Named relationships between topics
• Style support (predefined collections of colors, fonts, shapes etc.)
• Assign start/due date, effort, progress, priority and resources
• Email task reports (by project, by resource)
Advanced Mindmap Features:
• Multiple layouts (horizontal, vertical, fishbone etc.)
• Multiple link styles (curved, tapered, right angled etc.)
• Embedded documents (PDF, XLS, DOC etc)
• Over 100 builtin icons and 90 clipart images.
• Over 30 background canvas patterns (with option to import more.)
• 10 system 'Map Styles' (with option to import more.)
• Rules based filtering engine.
• Presentation mode.
• Rule based sorting - including option to sort continuously
• Encrypted, password protected maps.
• Outline View
• Search (map names, topics, notes, links) across all maps.
First class macOS integration:
• Retina support
• Versions support
• Fullscreen support
• Spotlight integration
• Quicklook support
• Pinch to zoom
• Dark Mode support
Please visit the website for more information, screenshots and videos.
• Sort custom styles alphabetically
• Improved Compact mode
• Draw thin border around filled topics (bug from hand drawn release)
• Bug when exporting links to Word
• UNDO bug with splitting text
• Crash when editing a topic that overlaps another unrelated topic
• Fixed bug when flashing the note view after CMD+CTRL+T in Dark Mode.
• Triple RETURN bug (leaving returns in place)
• Bug selecting relationships
• Fixed issue copy/paste image from Word
Ratings and Reviews
iThoughts is amazing. It’s one of the two most useful and most used apps on my mac, the other one being omnifocus. iThoughts is an amazing productivity tool. Once you figure it out and how it flows, it’s a great and fast tool for generating thoughts and grouping them quickly and efficiently. It’s easy on the back side of that brainstorming to go back and add more organization by changing the colors of specific groups, changing the way the outline looks, etc. It’s all just so darn easy once you get the groove of it. I’ve probably been using it for five or six years and I have now bought this program for every device I own: mac, windows, iPad, iPhone.
This developer is very responsive with quick answers back by email to questions. There are a couple of things that I think aren’t in iThoughts yet and would be important additions. The first of those is the ability to password protect documents. Much of the information that I put into iThoughts is highly confidential from a business perspective and, since docs cannot be protected, I find myself trying to figure out how I can hide them on thumb drives or whatever. It’s less than ideal. It would also be good if there were a better flow for being able to access documents between computers and portable devices. It is possible now, but it seems tedious and doesn’t flow well.
Those pieces of input aside, I wouldn’t be deterred. iThoughts is the real deal and deserved a great review.
Outstanding! Feature-rich, easy-to-use, and beautiful
This is so easy to use, and ye so powerful and so feature-rich, and still so beautiful. It’s an amazing accomplishment by the developer and hugely useful for all kinds of projects, from simple to complex.
I do not like the "mark-down” aspect (see negative reviewers’ complaints about this) but at the end of the day it’s not that big of a deal, and the benefits of the app far far far outsrip the mark-down inconvenience, which you pretty much ignore anyway.
I would strongly recommend that the developer write (or hire someone to write) a better, more comprehensive manual, because the app does a LOT more than the online tutorials and guides suggest.
I’d also recommend better integration with either a calendar system (not just export) or with a gantt or with both. Btw, I can’t get the app to import CSV files despite following the instructions.
Anyway, I have my complaints about every app, and my complaints about this one are far fewer, and the app is so much better than the alternatives. It may seem pricey compared to some of the super-cheap ones, but it has features that make it worth the investment.
I look forward to further development of the app — In the meantime, it’s a joy to use.
P.S. The develop is VERY responsive to inquiries (and is very nice even if you ask dumb questions, which I’ve done!).
Expensive for what it does
The application produces nice looking mind maps in a wide variety of styles. However, the process is far from intuitive. For example, trying to select more than one topic or node is an exercise in futility on the Mac. The developer does provides an overview of the interface, and some helpful instructions on their website. However, I found that it takes some digging to find that the develper uses the command key not the normal shift key to select more than one topic. I’ve not mastered the art of moving topics or nodes around. You can shuffle them to some degree, but they snap back in place. There’s probably a menu option to do so, but I’ve not found it at this time. For the price of the application, I was expecting a more robust feature set. Apparently there is a trial version online. I’d suggest downloading that first. You may find that it is perfect for your needs or you may save yourself some money.
Developer Response ,
CMD+CLICK will select/deselect topics. SHIFT+CLICK will select those sibling topics in-between. SHIFT+CLICK+DRAG on the canvas will create a selection rectangle.
You can disable the 'snap back' by switching Auto Align to OFF in the Style settings.
- toketaWare ltd
- 30.8 MB
OS X 10.11 or later, 64-bit processor
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2013 toketaWare Ltd
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.