By Vsevolod Klementjev
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
iTileMaps Compact is limited for free editing without saving, saving is available for small fee via In App Purchase. Compact version is limited for iPhone or iPod Touch.
iTileMaps Compact is powerfull tile map creation tool. Works with any 2D game genre, whether it's RPG or sidescroller or anything else. Specifically designed for iPhone and iPod Touch it allows creating maps very fast wherever you are. No need to change anything in your game because it uses popular tmx file format and works well with Tiled.
Best works with cocos2d because it's built on top of it. But any other game engine that supports tmx file format will work aswell.
* Simple and popular xml-based format - tmx
* Orthogonal and isometric maps
* Tile rotation and flipping
* Custom objects for per pixel precision placement
* Custom properties for tiles, layers, objects or map
* Time saving editing tools like fill bucket, clone and recent tiles tools
* Can automatically manage high and standart definition maps (for iPhone 4 Retina)
* Ability to export created map directly to your game
* Send created maps by e-mail
* Import maps from internet, e-mail or another application
* Import and export files in iTunes
* Draws slower when in idle state, means higher battery life
Limitations (for advanced users):
* Hexagonal maps are not supported
* Only 1 tileset can be used per layer
* Tileset info is saved in single file with map, no external tileset info supported
* Tilesets can't have some color as transperent, only alpha channel is supported
* Tile objects are not supported
* Images cannot be saved in map file, only externally
* Layer data must be in gzip/zlib compression encoded with base64
What's New in Version 2.1
* Support for tile rotation
* Polygon and polyline objects
* Point editor for polygon and polyline object editing
* Snap to grid object tool for easier object placement
* Object list window to navigate through objects faster
This app has a great concept, and I was really excited to use it. Unfortunately it crashes easily during common tasks, resulting in lost work. I also spent more time trying to get assets into the app than actually creating stuff (part of that is iOS' fault - it isn't designed to let you create and save files). The lack of support for importing/exporting tile sets for used with Tiled on the desktop means your work in iTilemaps is a one-off that isn't practical for use with a real game and in a team environment.
This app is pretty good. It is worth downloading if you want to pay a .99 in app purchase. I want to use this app to make maps for a video game. :) after more testing I found out that it crashes every use.
Says this app has iPad support, but it looks like crud on my iPad. Scales up by 2x to fill the screen, and gets all blurry. I wouldn't call that iPad support.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Feb 28, 2012
- Version: 2.1
- Size: 2.2 MB
- Languages: English, Russian
- Seller: Vsevolod Klementjev
- © 2012 Vsevolod Klementjev
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- "Save and Export ability"$0.99