iTrans NYC Subway
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
The ultimate NYC transit app, featuring realtime arrival info plus subway and bus directions, service advisories, timetables, push alerts, walking maps, and station entrance/exit data.
• Live train times let you seen exactly when your train will arrive. (Only for MTA lines with countdown clocks: currently the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and Times Sq Shuttle.)
• Easy step-by-step directions mean you always know the fastest route. Subway directions even work offline underground!
• System advisories, including background updating so you always have the latest information.
• See train schedules for any station at any time of day
• Use Street Map mode to see bus stations and bus times
• Get push alerts for delays, customized for your route and commute time
• See subway lines, stations, entrances, and exits overlaid on a street map
• Browse the latest service advisories even while offline
• See your Current Location with a tap; get walking directions to nearby stations
• Beautiful graphics, including high-resolution maps for the Retina display
• Review line diagrams to see stations, transfers, and express/local timing
• Search for stations with a few taps
Remember: the New York subway is a complex system and can't follow the timetables perfectly. The MTA timetables are included for guidance only.
This app is for the MTA New York City subway and bus system, and features a licensed MTA map. To learn more about iTrans, report problems, or request new features, visit our website.
What's New in Version 8.2
• Second Avenue Subway
• W train
• Miscellaneous bug fixes
Is the app still being supported???
UPDATED REVIEW as of 9/7/17: this used to be one of the few apps I considered worth paying for, but I'm wondering if it's still supported bc it's no longer accurate in what work is being done/what lines are actually running. Several times I've started a trip only to find partway that the line isn't running as the app indicated. Just going to the MTA website online seems more accurate these days. I guess it was good while it lasted. I still find it somewhat useful as a subway mapping app, it's just dangerous using it to plan your route without double checking. Especially on the weekends!
OLD REVIEW: (This review pertains to the NYC-MTA version.) I don't often pay for apps but this one has proved pretty invaluable for the 2-3 years I've had it. It's probably about 98% accurate on service changes and delays (which is about light years ahead of the MTA itself) and is invaluable on trip planning and maximizing your time/avoiding standing on platforms waiting for trains that never come.
Much more accurate than Google
I've had this app for years. I find that Google maps is overly optimistic about the time it takes to get somewhere on the NYC subway. This app is consistently more accurate about total travel times. And I love being able to easily check the list of subway service changes (weekend/maintenance). I've found it to be only missing a change once in many years. I don't use the train schedule predictions except to note how often the trains come as I don't believe the trains actually run on schedule. This app gives you one route choice so I sometimes also check Google to compare routes. You can usually still see the subway map even when there's no cell service so I also use it to check the map generally.
Best App for NYC Visitor
I downloaded 4 other apps before finding this one. By far the best. You just enter origination address (app can determine your current location) then enter destination address. From there it gives directions to nearest subway station and what trains you need to take to destination subway station (including walking instructions from destination subway station to final destination address). Very intuitive and user friendly. Took subway all week and never had any problems getting where I was going as a first time NYC rider.
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Jan 02, 2017
- Version: 8.2
- Size: 78.8 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Seller: Adam Ernst
- © 2010 iTrans
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.