Japan Alps Hiking Map is a map application that can be used as a hiking / outdoor GPS.
By downloading data such as maps, routes, and place names that you planned in advance, you can check your current location with GPS even if you are in a no cellular signal area like mountains.
You can use the app when you do walking, running, cycling, trip, sightseeing, or any outdoor activities in Japan.
You can also read articles about hiking know-how in Japan, and hiking guides about Mt. Fuji, Kamakura Alps, and Karasawa. We are still working to add new articles and hiking guides.
1) You can use the map offline
You can download and use the contour map of Japan which is offered by the Geospatial Information Authority of Japan.
In addition, "Footprints" which is the group of other hiker's GPS log will be displayed, so you can see at a glance where the people are actually walking (where the mountain path is).
Of course, since the place name data in English also will be downloaded, you can see the names of mountains and passes not on the contour map.
2) You can download route and map
You can download not only pre-prepared area maps but also our recommended routes and maps together.
You can also download routes and maps from a GPX file which you can get from any outdoor SNS like Yamareco.com.
3) Store GPS logs while hiking
Once you start hiking, your phone will store the current location history as a GPS log.
GPS feature is only required the sky is open, so you can get current locations even if your phone is in Airplane Mode or you are in out of a cellular signal area.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
When hiking please be sure to bring a paper map and compass, spare battery and power cable.
You need to purchase a ticket to download maps for offline use. Even if you do not have a ticket, you can try all of the other functions such as GPS logging or online use.
"Footprints" function displays the actual walking traces for other hikers, but we cannot guarantees that the information is always accurate because it may include climbing routes, trails closed by the seasons, abolished roads etc.
When planning for mountain hiking, please be sure to check the latest information through other Web sites like Yamareco.com and local affiliates.
Place name data will be download after the installation. It may take around ten minutes to finish. You need to wait for download completion if you want to show all of the place name data in your map.
- iPhone X ready
- Add Hillshade to Japan map
- Update libraries
- iOS11 ready
- Update libraries
- Fixed time display bug which occurs if 24-Hour Time setting is off in settings app.
- Update libraries
- Show information message when downloading place name data.
- Show English place name in search result icon window.
- Dealt with a problem that processing slows down when there are many place names on the screen.
- Initial Release
Ratings and Reviews
Great hike/trek tool
I do some light hiking and like the app very much. I’m still getting used to some of its features.
- YAMARECO INC.
- 27.7 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), and iPod touch (6th generation).
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2017 Yamareco Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Two Weeks Ticket $4.99
- One Month Ticket $7.99
- Six Months Ticket $29.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.