The leading Japanese English Dictionary for iPhone, iPad & iPod touch ◇ Comprehensive Offline Dictionary ◇ Phrasebook ◇ Verb Conjugator ◇ Audio Pronunciation ◇ Vocabulary Quizzes ◇ Flashcards
"I love this app! It is well laid out and easily accessible to any level of Japanese. Very intuitive. The flash cards and quizzes are very fun and helpful, and I've the offline dictionary!"
"Very easy to use! I like to use this for Japanese to English translation on occasion, and it works well for me."
"I love this app! It has everything I really want or need, and I like the learning tools that come with it. It really helps with some of the more practical phrases, but there's a pretty comprehensive amount of not-so-basic phrases in there too."
"I am a third year student of Japanese. I tried a few free Japanese dictionaries and found this one to be the best. Not only for the comprehensive dictionary but also for the verb conjugator and phrasebook."
"I'm off on a walkabout this summer so I downloaded this app to brush up on some Japanese. Very complete. Diggin' the phrasebook."
Japanese Dictionary + by VidaLingua transforms your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch into an advanced language interpreter, always ready to help. It includes everything you need in one app and features you won’t find anywhere else such as adding notes and images to the dictionary. Extensive databases and advanced features make VidaLingua the most comprehensive Japanese English Dictionary for iOS.
• Dictionary with over 2,740,000 offline entries (premium), over 1,890,000 for free.
• Includes Japanese headwords in Hiragana, Katakana & Kanji.
• Dictionary entries include translations, usage examples & part of speech.
• Single search for fast lookups of words in English, Hiragana, Katakana & Romaji.
• Phrasebook with 20 categories such as Conversation, Asking Directions and Making Friends.
• Conjugations of 13,933 verbs.
• Enhancements for tablets.
• Multiple-choice vocabulary quizzes.
• Lookup History.
• Email dictionary translations.
• Text-to-speech pronunciation of English and Japanese words in Hiragana, Katakana & Kanji.
Language is living. Only VidaLingua allows you to add notes and images to the dictionary!
Comments & questions are welcome.
VidaLingua, bringing language apps to life! ©
- Added thousands of headwords to the Dictionary.
- Added thousands of examples to the Dictionary.
- Implemented iPad Split Screen to use Dictionary with other apps.
- Implemented Drag & Drop between Dictionary and other iPad apps.
- Added Copy to Clipboard to Dictionary. Tap word or example to show context menu.
- Improved voice lookup language selection on Apple Watch.
- Added 3D Touch Peek to see Dictionary entries for Quiz words.
- Improved use of Dynamic Type. See iOS Settings > Larger Font to adjust.
- Added deep linking so Dictionary headwords can be looked up using Spotlight.
- Improved audio speed selector in Voice Settings.
- Added Flashcards setting to display only Dictionary favorites.
- Improved Flashcards screen layout.
- Added South African accent to pronunciation choices.
- Adapted screen layouts for iPhone X.
- Changed dictionary favorites icon color to red.
- Fixed layout issues on iPhones Plus models.
- Eliminated truncation of long translator phrases.
- Corrected bug blocking purchase of Premium Features.
- Enabled Translate link on verb conjugation screen.
- Fixed favorites issue when over 100 dictionary words are starred.
- Fixed minor bugs and improved help text.
If you have any issues with this update, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you like free updates, please rate our app favorably in the App Store.
Ratings and Reviews
Great pocket reference
This app is a useful pocket reference for a Japanese words and phrases. My favorite feature is the flashcards. The flashcards flip and have Japanese and English pronunciation is if you get stuck. You can use the presets or create your own collection of favorite words. The boys look up feature is nice too. It's fun to say a word in Japanese into the dictionary search and see if it understands you by returning the correct word. As someone who doesn't have a proper academic background in the language and has only learn Japanese from audio conversational resources, I wish I was able to read the kanji, hiragana and katakana. But the flashcards are helping me recognize the symbols and their alternate through repetition. Above all it's easy to get started by tapping individual words or phrases to hear pronunciations.
I have wanted to visit Japan for as long as I can remember. I haven’t booked a trip yet but I decided not wait to learn a bit of Japanese.
I am interested is conversational Japanese more than the finer points of grammar so I appreciate that the dictionary, phrase book and verb conjugation has audio pronunciation in Japanese. I like the fact that the dictionary has so many examples and that I can add notes to dictionary entries.
I have been using voice search to practice my pronunciation. I tap the Japanese microphone icon in the search bar then I try to pronounce the word in Japanese. If the app understands me I know I pronounced it correctly.
Must have for Japanese students!
A phenomenal app with an expansive dictionary and great tools such as the quiz function to help any serious language learners. VidaLingua is necessity for on the go language students!
- Ascendo Inc.
- 61.6 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2015 Ascendo
- In-App Purchases
- Premium Features $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.