By renzo Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Japanese is the ultimate study companion for any Japanese language learner. Japanese is comprehensive, with over 175,000 dictionary entries and 58,000 example sentences, and fits perfectly in your pocket. It comes complete with references, flashcard study tools and all you need to master the Japanese language. Japanese runs offline, allowing you to learn on the go, wherever you go.
• Japanese’s search engine is unparalleled in its speed, returning the most relevant results for your search as you type.
• Search from over 175,000 words and 58,000 example sentences.
• Handwriting recognition: Write any kanji in any stroke order and have Japanese decipher and display the most likely kanji or kana.
• Conjugation Search: Search a word in any conjugation to get a complete dictionary entry for that word.
• Text Reader: Struggling with a website or text message? Input long text and see it translated into its constituent parts.
• Flashcards: Easy-to-use flashcard study with study reminders and social elements that allow you to share your lists with friends.
• Text-to-Speech: Learn a word’s pronunciation.
• JLPT: Tests aren’t everything. But for those seeking to master the JLPT, Japanese has dedicated study lists.
WORK WITH IT
• Intuitive user interface: Find the information you need, when you need it.
• Split View: Use Japanese simultaneously with other applications on your iPad or large screen Apple device with Split View.
• Custom Content: Create your own lists, labels, history, folders and notes to help organise your studies.
• Sharing: Share Lists with Family, Friends and Study Buddies via AirDrop, Messages or Email.
• Import: Easily import your data from other Japanese language learning apps such as Imiwa, Midori and Nihongo, Rikaichan.
• Backup & Restore: Never worry about loosing your data with Japanese’s in-app backup and restore features.
What's New in Version 4.1
Several bug fixes
This has been my favorite Japanese Dictionary so far. Version 4 fixed the flaw where it forgot what word you looked up if you left the app and came back, as well as adding multitasking support for iPad. Now with 4.1 they’ve fixed the error with handwriting recognition. That error mad the app very hard to use. Now that it’s been fixed, I had to give it 5 Stars.
I’ve never messed with the flash cards. I love the conjugation Guide when you search a word. There are usually a good number of example sentences too that can help differentiate two words that can be translated the same but with different connotations. I got this app when it was $10 and still feel it was worth it, though I’m glad it’s free now.
Found a bug, December Review
December UPDATED review
The good: looks beautiful, sleek design, great as just a dictionary. Updated again and bugs have been squashed.
Despite removing an entire folder of vocabulary I no longer wish to study, those flashcards still appear in my review. I have removed them. There is no checkmark showing them in any list, but still, they are there when reviewing.
My issue, and I can't get an answer: the SRS flashcards don't seem to work properly. Some of my "learned" cards never come back for review, while others seem to repeat with high frequency. As others have noted, the color coding seems arbitrary. It is advertised as similar to Anki; it is not, and thus, not dependable as a true study tool.
This is an absolutely beautiful dictionary, but dig a bit deeper and there are legitimate flaws in the flashcard system.
I will happily give five stars and again revise review if these issues are resolved.
TO THE DEVELOPERS: we know you must be busy. But you have a Facebook page and a blog. It would only take 60 seconds per week to post an update on the app's progress. You are not at all indebted to app users, but people depend on your product. I assume it is impossible to respond to all your mail but it would be easy to post progress updates once a week.
Im a 1st year student that was just looking for a dictionary. I love this app to death it is my favorite even among paid apps. I have only just started using this app but i cant see an end to its usefulness. I love that i cant write kanji, and search for all my words im learning. Moreover, i can use this app to learn and study as well! I just recently figured out how to move my studies to a new device so that was a huge discovery for me. I swear the creators thought of everything.