Japanese is the ultimate study companion for any Japanese language learner. Japanese is comprehensive, with over 175,000 dictionary entries and 58,000 example sentences, and fits perfectly in your pocket. It comes complete with references, flashcard study tools and all you need to master the Japanese language. Japanese runs offline, allowing you to learn on the go, wherever you go.
• Japanese’s search engine is unparalleled in its speed, returning the most relevant results for your search as you type.
• Search from over 175,000 words and 58,000 example sentences.
• Handwriting recognition: Write any kanji in any stroke order and have Japanese decipher and display the most likely kanji or kana.
• Conjugation Search: Search a word in any conjugation to get a complete dictionary entry for that word.
• Text Reader: Struggling with a website or text message? Input long text and see it translated into its constituent parts.
• Flashcards: Easy-to-use flashcard study with study reminders and social elements that allow you to share your lists with friends.
• Text-to-Speech: Learn a word’s pronunciation.
• JLPT: Tests aren’t everything. But for those seeking to master the JLPT, Japanese has dedicated study lists.
WORK WITH IT
• Intuitive user interface: Find the information you need, when you need it.
• Split View: Use Japanese simultaneously with other applications on your iPad or large screen Apple device with Split View.
• Custom Content: Create your own lists, labels, history, folders and notes to help organise your studies.
• Sharing: Share Lists with Family, Friends and Study Buddies via AirDrop, Messages or Email.
• Import: Easily import your data from other Japanese language learning apps such as Imiwa, Midori and Nihongo, Rikaichan.
• Backup & Restore: Never worry about loosing your data with Japanese’s in-app backup and restore features.
Ratings and Reviews
I've never felt compelled to write an app review before. It's a strange feeling. It's kinda like when a product's survey asks if I'd recommend the product to my friends and of course I say no. Like, why would I? The product is never that great. I found this app so incredibly helpful for learning Japanese that I've not only recommended it to my friends and family, but I'm also driven to recommend it to you. This dictionary is incredibly vast and has sections not only for learners, but also for fluent speakers. It's got basic kana, a massive section on Kanji, and a section on radicals. The vocabulary is sorted into lexical categories, specific topics, or simply assigned to the proper JLPT test rank. Each entry in the dictionary has valuable information for someone trying to learn, like sentence examples and a breakdown of every piece of the word or character. It's also got Kanji stroke order and verb conjugation. One helpful feature this app has is a way to create study decks of words or Kanji. When a entry is learned in a deck, the entry remembers it's been learned and doesn't show up as often as a non-learned entry. If that entry comes up in a later deck for whatever reason, it's still learned so you actually know how much of the deck you still have to learn. It's great! All in all, this app is fantastic and I highly recommend it.
This dictionary holds so much. It has vocabulary that is categorized by levels and the amount of ways to search things up is so efficient. Romanji, Kana, radical structures, even searching words by handwriting it works. It provides verbs with all the tenses and examples of how to use both vocab words and verbs. You can study words you add to a list and review with all the help you need. This app is extremely powerful and is a library of words for you to learn from N5-N1. It has Kanji Kentei and JLPT for you as well! I just wish it would update soon for IOS 11 so I can use the handwriting feature again since that crashes the app with IOS 11. (Searching the words and click on them has the scroll feature skewed a little with the word at the top too far up and you need to screen up to be able to see the word)
All I’d want more from this app is for it to update! It’s helped me so much and even some of my international transfer student friends in college use it to translate to english too!
Fantastic, but needs better spaced repetition
This app is incredibly useful and pretty much my go to for any situation. The dictionary is really huge and easy to search, the handwriting recognition works really well, and the precompiled vocabulary lists are incredibly helpful.
My biggest gripe about this app is the study system. It boasts that it uses spaced repetition to help the user memorize cards, but the actual system seems like an awkward approximation of what other apps use. Quite frequently, cards get marked as “learned” after I get them right a number of times, but they never reappear to be studied again, and I end up forgetting them. It would be great if this app used something like due dates for each card, showing you the card less often the more you get it right and vice versa. As it is, the “learned” category is pretty unhelpful. I end up turning to other apps like skritter and memrise to help me study, even though I like this apps interface a lot better.
Please alter the spaced repetition system to help us study more effectively!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.