Get access to the best sous vide recipes and control Joule, the world’s smallest, most powerful sous vide tool, with the Joule App. From raw to ready, the app coaches you through the whole process, so cooking sous vide is simple. Just pick what you want to cook, and we’ll walk you through the rest.
The Joule App includes groundbreaking features like Visual Doneness, precise temperature control from anywhere, and a robust collection of recipes and cooking guides created by the ChefSteps team. Joule and its app were built and designed from scratch to work together, and we’re just as dedicated to the quality of our products as we are to the food we make with them. You can read more about Joule and the Joule App in publications like CNET, Wired, Lifehacker, Food & Wine, and Network World.
HOW DOES THE JOULE APP WORK?
You tell us what you’re cooking, we tell you when it’s ready. Making a two-inch steak? Great. Just tap the Start button, and Joule will set a timer for perfect doneness. Get notified when your steak is ready—and we’ll also tell you how much longer it can stay in the water without overcooking.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE JOULE APP?
• Exclusive access to our cooking guides: The app comes with step-by-step guides for everything from perfect fried chicken, to succulent salmon, to the best steak you’ve ever had in your life, helping you unlock the power of sous vide. What’s even better? We’ll keep adding new guides (and updating old ones) all the time.
• Visual Doneness: Choose exactly how you want your food to look when it’s done, then press go, and Joule does the rest. No more filtering through online forums to get the information you need. Visual Doneness takes the guesswork out of sous vide.
• Step-by-step instructions, so you can learn as you go: Every cooking guide comes loaded with quick videos that’ll teach you new techniques and help you get the best results.
• Notifications that let you know when your water is hot and your food is done, no matter where you are. Not ready to eat? We’ll tell you how much longer your food can stay in without overcooking.
• Bluetooth and Wifi control, so you can cook from anywhere.
WHAT IS SOUS VIDE COOKING AND HOW DOES IT WORK?
Chefs have been cooking sous vide for decades to get perfect proteins and amazing new textures. But, it’s not fancy or complicated—Joule heats water to a very specific temperature, so you can cook food gently, with super-human precision. The water never gets hotter than you want the food to be, so it won’t overcook.
HOW DO I GET JOULE?
Visit chefsteps.com/joule to learn more.
CAN I STILL USE THE JOULE APP IF I HAVE ANOTHER SOUS VIDE TOOL, LIKE NOMIKU, SANSAIRE, OR ANOVA?
Absolutely! You can still use our sous vide guides and Visual Doneness in the Joule App to figure out your favorite times and temperatures, then manually set your other tool and make amazing meals at home.
Limited Warranty - https://www.chefsteps.com/joule/warranty
EULA - https://www.chefsteps.com/eula
By downloading, installing or using the Joule app, you agree to the End User License Agreement.
Currently, this app is only available in English.
Version 2.63: Summer Hit Edition
Joule fam, have you heard? Our latest version of the app has so many updates, and we’re just a little excited—okay, fine, we’ve got no chill and we’re straight-up stoked—to share them with you. Got us in our feelings, for sure.
I Like It: The first thing you’ll notice is that our guides are now all on a single scrollable screen so you can see the whole process from beginning to end without tiring your swiping fingers.
Better Now: Oh, hey, it’s a brand-new cook view! We’ve got some snazzed-up visualizations and a new timeline view that gives a lot more detailed information about the progress of your cook.
No-Brainer. There’s a new and improved way to tell how long you can leave your food in the water without affecting the outcome—so you can know for sure whether you’ve got time for one more cocktail or three before dinner.
Home With You: Joule lives its best life when you’re connected to WiFi, and now it’s even easier to see if you’re connected.
No Tears Left to Cry: And on the off chance something goes wrong, we’ve made getting back on the sous vide horse simpler and more straightforward.
Say you’ll never, ever leave from beside us, Team Joule—we’re down for cooking with you always.
Ratings and Reviews
Unnecessarily dumbed down
Not only is the ersatz ‘chipper’ tone annoying, it gets in the way of efficiently using the device. It would be nice if there were a toggle to turn off the cute.
More crucially, there still isn’t implementation of basic functionality that was teased a year ago, eg using the top button to start again the same temp as last used. And obvious capabilities such as a workable log (which would have to allow you to assign titles to your cooks) or a more full featured custom cook creation option would at least partly justify the necessity of using a smart device to operate the sous vide. I have created my own time and temp profiles for everything I cook ... which I have to log separately and track changes for... and share with the 4 other families I have bought sous vide for (not all joules, because my in laws can’t handle a device without built-in controls). You would think the social sharing potential alone would motivate these wannabe hipsters to build in the ability to set custom cooks... but instead they pour development energy into another cutesy notification that makes me never want to tap on the app ever again.
Enough with the style over substance.
Hi Xtopad, thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review and share this feedback with us. We really appreciate you letting us know about your experience with Joule so far and truly apologize that it has been less than perfect. We are always working on improving the experience of cooking with Joule and feedback like this is really helpful for us as a team. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us at support.chefsteps.com with any support.chefsteps.com with any further questions, comments or concerns. Thanks again for your feedback!
-Megan with ChefSteps Customer Experience
Recent update killed my WiFi connection
Enough said. Can no longer connect to WiFi & get the annoying prompt every time that I start my Joule. Reinstalled the app as suggested, and it worked for 30 minutes... getting the same prompt again. Love my Joule, but please fix the app/WiFi issue.
Bumped up one star because the manufacturer was quick to reply. Submitted the requested support ticket...fingers crossed.
7/31 update...very impressed as the app was updated & the customer service that I received was incredible. My Joule is now working flawlessly. Can’t give 5 stars as there are features/recipes without a subscription that need to be addressed, but really happy with my choice of the Joule for my Sous Vide cooking.
Thank you so much for your feedback and we truly apologize that you are having a less than perfect experience with Joule! This definitely sounds like a frustrating experience and we would love to be able to assist in troubleshooting. Would you be able to submit a support ticket (support.chefsteps.com) so our team can look into this issue further?
Thank you so much,
The ChefSteps Customer Experience Team
Workable and yet
Sous Vide is an amazing method of cooking that has transformed my kitchen and food. The Joule appliance has been good. The fact that all of the controls are on a mobile device and not on the appliance is something I didn’t think I would object to but do.
As for the app - it works when connected (which is not the apps fault) but little things are annoying. When time is up and you stop the Joule the app closes the recipe even when there are more steps. The recipe is in the history but there isn’t a way to get to the steps.
Additionally there are many recipes that are only available with a subscription.
I use the app because it runs my appliance not because I love it.
- ChefSteps Inc.
- 56.1 MB
- Food & Drink
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad Wi-Fi (3rd generation), iPad Wi‑Fi + Cellular (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi (4th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (4th generation), iPad mini Wi-Fi, iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 ChefSteps Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.