Joy of Cooking
By Culinate, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Joy of Cooking, the first cookbook in many kitchens, is now the must-have app for every cook—experts and beginners alike. Containing the entire contents of the latest edition of the bestselling and best-loved, 1,132-page book, the app is a treasury of recipes, reference materials, and special features that make planning and cooking easier than ever.
Here’s some of what you’ll find in the app:
• Universal app supports both iPhone and iPad.
• High resolution graphics and full HD resolution support for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
• Thousands of recipes and reference materials cover everything from enchiladas to lemon meringue pie.
• All materials are included in the app. No internet access is required.
• Pre-set digital timers enable you to get each recipe just right.
• Let the app speak each step aloud so you can concentrate on cooking, rather than reading.
• Navigate each recipe with simple voice commands. No need to touch the screen with sticky fingers!
• Thousands of photos and illustrations leave nothing to interpretation.
• Built-in menu-maker allows you to create a menu and use it to navigate among recipes while you cook; you can even print it out or email it to your guests.
• Joy of Cooking classic red bookmarks help you keep track of several recipes at once.
• The Favorites list lets you store recipes that you want to cook again and again.
• Shopping lists can be created easily from one or more recipes.
• The Sleep-Block feature prevents your iPad from sleeping when you just want to cook.
• A switch to enable metric units can adapt recipes to your preference.
• A built-in conversion calculator makes it easy to substitute just about anything. Want to know how many teaspoons are in a half-cup? That answer, and many others, is just a few taps away.
• A smart search page, with easy-to-set filters, gets you results fast.
• One-tap help overlays make the app’s features easy to discover.
• Email or print any recipe for easy reference when you don’t have the app.
• Easily share what you’re cooking via social media so your friends can try to keep up.
• A handy notes page on each recipe lets you file away your own customizations for later reference.
Over the years, you’ve come to expect high-quality cooking advice and recipes from the Joy of Cooking cookbook. Now you can expect the same level of satisfaction from the app.
• • •
Praise for the Joy of Cooking app:
“As in the book, the fire hose of information — how to frost a cake, make salt-cured lemons, field-dress a gut-shot animal — is overwhelming, but the digital design makes it easier to navigate through 4,500 recipes and numberless tips.”
— Julia Moskin, The New York Times
“@TheJoyOfCooking’s new iPad app might be the best thing to happen to home cooking since…the cast iron pan?”
— Samin Nosrat, Author of SALT, FAT, ACID, HEAT; via Twitter
“One of the things I love about this app is that it helps bring recipes to my attention that I’ve passed over in the print versions.”
— Marisa McClellan, Food in Jars
• • •
Praise for the Joy of Cooking cookbook:
“I’m … a ‘Joy’ fan no matter the edition: Every recipe is written in the book’s unmistakable style, with ingredients and amounts seamlessly integrated into the instructions. For me, this is still the quintessential American cookbook.”
— Alton Brown
“The … narrative of Joy is one of, well, joy. Its recipes will prompt readers to bound into the kitchen; their range and depth is such that there really is something for everyone.”
— Publisher’s Weekly
“The Swiss Army knife of cookbooks.”
— The New York Times
What's New in Version 2.0.3
We've added a special Holiday Guide to inspire your cooking during December festivities.
The Joy of Cooking has been an essential book to have for every cook, now this app is too!
What a great job joy of cooking is my modern version of my moms favorite cook book! I love the voice command feature (my moms book is so dirty from all the use!) This book and app are essential to anyone who wants learn to cook or perfect their skills. I learn something new every time I open this!
The only thing that I can think of to improve the app is the ability to easily export recipes to other apps like paprika which I use for all of my current recipe collection, and grocery list. When I am at the store it would be nice to not have to switch between apps for my shopping list. Currently to import into paprika I have to email it to myself. Copy the text. Paste it into paprika. Then separate out what I have copied. Or attempt to find the recipe online. And copy from there. But all in all it would be amazing and time saving to just export with everything perfectly done.
I'm glad to see this cookbook finally in an app and generally it does what you expect. There are a couple of features that are missing, however. 1) Shopping Lists do not sync from one device to another. So when you're planning that nice meal on your iPad before shopping, you should be able to see the Shopping List on your iPhone at the grocery. That should also apply to syncing favorites and ribbons. 2) Shopping Lists cannot do multiples. So if you're making a double batch of something, there is no way to "2X" those items in the list. Please fix these two features. Long term, it would be nice to do a one-button convert from American volume measures to European weights. This would make bread making and other recipes much more accurate.
I've always liked the Joy of Cooking Cookbook and this app seems to have everything at my finger tips. It has great features like a timer and a setting to stop sleep mode. What I don't like about it is that the app is very slow to respond after launching it. This is a significant problem.
Also, let's say you are making a recipe like blueberry muffins. The instructions say make basic muffin recipe first, so you follow the recipe and then it states that you need to adjust the sugar measurement for the recipe. It should tell me what the change is before it points me to the basic recipe.
- Category: Food & Drink
- Updated: Dec 06, 2014
- Version: 2.0.3
- Size: 176 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Culinate, Inc.
- © 2014-15 Culinate, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.