As you draw, KaleidoPaint mirrors your brushstrokes to create a beautiful infinitely repeating design.
- 17 symmetry patterns
- Scroll, rotate, zoom
- Curve smoothing
- Area fill
- Reshape and recolor any point, curve or area
- Unlimited Undo/Redo
- Export your favorite paintings to the Photos app, or e-mail them directly to a friend
Screenshots by Carmen Meléndez-Lugo.
- Graphics rewritten using Apple's “Metal” graphics library, with fallback to OpenGL ES on older devices (pre-A7) or on iOS 9.
- Computes flood-fills directly on the GPU. Makes use of the GPU's parallel processing capabilities to achieve a 2-fold to 24-fold speed-up, depending on number of symmetries in the particular wallpaper group. (Metal version only)
- KaleidoPaint's memory demands have been reduced 1000-fold by storing flood-fills using run-length encoding (RLE) instead of raw bitmaps. For example, at Medium Resolution, each filled region required a 1 MB mask in the previous version of KaleidoPaint, but in the new version the same filled region requires only ~1 KB. (Metal version only)
- Redraws flood-fills from RLE data directly on the GPU, making full use of the GPU's parallel processing capabilities. (Metal version only)
- Added High Resolution. (Metal version only)
- Improved support for iPencil and other stylus input. Thanks to Francine Champagne for reporting this issue.
- Fixed bug that was causing slowly-drawn lines to retain too many nodes. Again, thanks to Francine Champagne for reporting this bug.
- Adjusts input touches so that the curve-in-progress will appear even when the user starts drawing in a distant translate of the main unit cell. Thanks to Jeff Racinski for reporting this bug.
Many thanks to Jeff Racinski, Susan Kauppi and Francine Champagne for beta testing.
Ratings and Reviews
This is one of those must have apps
Completely ad free, IAP free. This has the feel of one of those awesome open source drawing projects, like Alchemy, that are so rare on iOS. I'm actually addicted to using this app lately; the possibilities are endless, and I can tell that with practice I will be able to make some truly amazing work.
I also love how the UI is feels completely native: no fancy switches in colors that clash with the system colors, just regular blue and green elements like you'd see in any system app.
I've still got so many suggestions for the dev, I'll be sending an email shortly.
Best in class
I’ve been using programs like this since the iPad came on the market. My favorite program was Tiledeck, and I made over a thousand projects with it, but the developer ghosted years ago. This program has finally given me my creative hobby back! I have developed significant neuropathy and this program has a line-smoothing function that lets me draw the lines I want to draw, not get stuck with the wobbly lines my neuropathy draws! The developer is also still involved and responds to support issues, so that’s an added bonus!
This is far and away the most fun and fascinating app I’ve ever had. There are plenty of apps out there to spend leisure time on or to simply dive into some mind-numbing activity when you want to, but this one engages your artistic and creative side without you having to have artistic training or skills.
Can’t draw a straight line? So much the better!
I love the versatility! If I like the first design that emerges, I will duplicate it (sometimes several times) before continuing so after I finish the current one, I can go back and go in a different direction with the next one.
One of the best features is that you can change the drawing completely simply by changing the symmetry.
And I love that you can expand it up to add tiny details like dots.
You will need go wrong with this app!
- Jeff Weeks
- 9.3 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 Jeff Weeks
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.