Start your journey to bilingualism while enjoying an addictive game! KanaSwirl teaches you the 92 Japanese hiragana and katakana characters through rapid, micro-reviews. And the best part: the game introduces new characters only when you're ready for them! If you already know your kana then this game serves as fun practice to speed up your reading.
- Focuses on kana you are new to, or are having difficulty with
- Includes detailed statistics for tracking your progress
- Dynamically scales up and down in difficulty based on your current accuracy
- Includes pronunciations and an optional speech-only mode to ween yourself off English
- Innovative "Shake to Pause" feature enables KanaSwirl to automatically pause when you drop your phone. (Like, onto your face. Not that that's ever happened to me!)
- Universal app so you can review on your iPhone while waiting in line or on your iPad sitting in your comfiest chair
- No Japanese knowledge required! KanaSwirl is a great place to start. If you're already on the path, it's an entertaining complement to any study program.
KanaSwirl is back, freshened up for iOS 11.
Ratings and Reviews
Aaah, finally…been waiting for this the whole time. I tried working through the hiragana/katakana mix but until I know the katakana it's too hard to go between the two on-the-fly. Split like this though, my brain can finally dig into katakana and work through it. Pretty sure at this point it'll only be a matter of a week or two considering how fast I picked up Hiragana with this app.
Gotta say, without this I doubt I would've taken on studying kana. My memory and attention span are sadly very short, and this app takes advantage of the peak in my mental stamina to study, pounding the kana into place. Fast repetition and too many options to simply guess/use process of elimination means you learn the kana for GOOD instead of just for the moment.
Better believe I'm gonna promote the snot out of this. Such a brilliant way to learn this stuff! Love it! Keep the updates comin'!
Great way to learn Kana
This is a great app for learning Kana that doubles as a good brain exercise (to non-native Japanese readers, that is). I have restarted so many times with this that I wished the author included random Kana during the learning sequence when adding on more Kana. Easily the most effortless Kana learning app out there that truly lets you learn at your own pace and helps you when you need it.
addicting way to learn Japanese
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.