ONE OF TOP 3 APPS ON PRODUCT HUNT: https://www.producthunt.com/tech/kanji-ninja
Learn 1000+ Japanese characters (both drawing and meaning). Just 3 characters at a time! Have fun while learning, growing from white belt to black belt and competing with players around the world.
* Belt system: go from white belt to black belt and higher!
* Learn kanji, the characters of written Japanese, on the go through engaging mini-sessions where you learn 3 characters at a time. Both stroke order and meaning.
* The built-in optical character recognition (OCR) engine can check whether you drew characters correctly or not.
* To help with memorization, we first show you the stroke order, then assist you when you’re drawing the kanji for the first time. Then we expect you can recall it on your own. The blank screen shouldn’t scare you Don’t worry if you get it wrong. We’ll hold your hands until you master them all!
* All the kanjis are organized by levels. You can’t move on to the next level until you finish the current one.
* The adaptive engine tracks your progress and prompts you to review kanjis at just the right time.
* Compete against other learners around the world on the global leaderboard!
We built this app after the frustration from dozens of apps we tried when learning to draw Japanese characters. All of them were plain boring & we would give up after a few days. With Kanji Ninja, our hope is that you will help billions of neural connections to be created and wouldn’t even notice how the time flew.
If you have a minute, please leave your sensei a review in the App Store. It would mean a ton to him!
Become the Kanji Ninja (漢字忍者)!
We worked for a year on this update. This is Kanji Ninja 2.0. Let us know how to make it even better!
Ratings and Reviews
Too buggy to be useful
The idea of the game is promising. Unfortunately there are too many bugs in here to make it useful. The OCR engine fails to recognize drawings of the most simple 2 and 3 strokes kanji already. I can't imagine how it copes with more complex characters. You don't get any feedback why your drawing was not correct. Other than promised in the app description, the stroke order is NOT shown. Only an image what the final kanji should look like. Also the OCR doesn't care about stroke order. So, wrong order can still be recognized as correct by the app.
On top of this maim feature being broken there is other bugs. The restore purchases button was not working for me.
The initial price is already high for a broken app, but there's also a paid subscription necessary to continue learning after the first 20 kanji or so.
In the current state, app is not worth your money.
Makes learning Kanji fun!
I've tried other apps and programs that attempt to teach Kanji, but this app does it so well. It's fun and simple and it gets you coming back daily to learn more!
Overall I like the app but sometimes when trying to redraw the kanji it's just way to picky on how the app wants it to be drawn. I'm a human not a computer. I can't write perfectly neat.. Hopefully this will get fixed. 🙏. Then this app would be 5/5.
- Zero to One Labs LLC
- 110.4 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © ZeroToOneLabs.com
- In-App Purchases
- KNMonthSubscription $1.99
- KNLifeTime $19.99
- KNYear $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.