R.: »The best kanji app available.«
B.: »Carefully crafted App. Very nice done.«
S.: »I'm using this app every day, it's addicting. I have tried a lot of other apps, but this one I love!.«
K.: »A blessing to those wanting to master Japanese reading and writing.«
Kanji Teacher is free. There's no advertising and no in-app purchases are necessary – it's just free, pure and simple.
Kanji Teacher knows not only all the 2,136 jōyō kanjis and their readings, but also the 8,000 most common Japanese words and how to pronounce them. This unique combination enables you to learn the Kun- and On-readings of the kanjis and apply and test what you have learnt straight away: both how to read a word and how to write a word you know.
Kanji Teacher has more features you'll love:
○ Practise your writing with Kanji Teacher! Every stroke is analysed: do the position, direction and order match up with the correct way of writing? Kanji Teacher helps you out with hints to begin with, but as you progress further you’ll be on your own.
○ Kanji Teacher is also a Kana teacher: learn how to read and write Hiragana and Katakana.
○ Kanji Teacher uses multiple choice so you can be sure that you really do know the answer. And it also compiles the possible answers intelligently, ensuring that they all make sense and are similar to the correct answer, because Kanji Teacher is a teacher after all – it's strict, but this helps you learn more quickly.
○ Kanji Teacher uses a Leitner system so you can learn easy kanjis quickly and focus on the more difficult ones.
○ Kanjis can be grouped by JLPT level and school year and, most importantly, you can switch between both views without losing what you have already done.
○ You can choose the correct answer, check it and move on to the next question with just one touch of the screen, which speeds up your learning and progress.
○ Kanji Teacher comes with Ulrike's Mnemonics, which were provided by Joy o' Kanji [https://www.joyokanji.com/],a site where you can find playful, informative, photo-filled essays about each of the 2,136 Joyo kanji.
Fixed a bug on iOS 12. If you lost parts of your progress, please contact me to recover it: email@example.com
Ratings and Reviews
Awesome Japanese app
First of all, this app is 100% free, which is great.
It has all of the joyo kanji broken up by JLPT level. And it has Japanese vocab. You can test reading-vocab, or vocab-reading. Kun-kanji m, on-kanji, and the reverse. It has a larger answer grid option, which is nice for when you want more of a challenge.
Only thing is I wish there was a way to study a JLPt level and alll the levels below that level too, at the same time. Also wish there were sound effects when you get right or wrong answer....but those are niggling requests for an app that’s free.
Otherwise, this app is awesome, and is even more incredible that it’s free.
update: thank you developer for replying :) yes starring them should help for now, I will try that. Otherwise your app is incredible.... it would still be awesome even if you charged for it imho. Also, maybe you could add additional vocabulary, with example sentences, as an in-app purchase? There are lots of apps that have the basic JLPT vocabulary but very few that offer more than that, built in to study. Your app is(still) highly recommended for anyone studying Japanese.
Thank you for your motivating feedback! For studying a level and below you may search all levels you would like to learn (with "n5" or "n4" in the Search view) and then MARK them all at once. You will then find all your kanjis in the ⭐️-list. I will try to improve this, but until then maybe this helps?
This app is amazing!! As a busy PhD student, I honestly would have given up on continuing to learn Japanese if not for this app. It makes it fun and easy to pick up and review a few kanji whenever I have a few minutes of free time. The ability to change the definitions of each kanji is especially helpful.
The only thing I wish was improved was the addition of the ability to edit the readings for each kanji. For example the kanji for summer has a couple of different on’yomi (ka, ga, and ge) but the app only has ka. So if they could add the ability to edit the readings for each kanji like they do for the definitions then the app would be absolutely perfect.
Excellent app for learning/practicing kanji
This application has so many great features including very strict but rewarding drawing tests. I was overwhelmed by all the content at first but I know I will appreciate it in the future as I keep learning more. I like the fact that there is no introductory learning portion. I other words, you learn by failing in the beginning, which has always been a good motivator at least for me for me. It definitely helps to have some background of hiragana and katakana before you start using the app but it is not necessary. In short, this is by far the best app I’ve found for the Japanese written language.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.