KB-1 MIDI Keyboard
KB-1 is a suite of expressive virtual keyboards and controllers designed for a multitude of scenarios.
Play multiple instruments simultaneously, complete with MIDI Polyphonic Expression, scales, chords, strumming and more.
- 8 distinct Keyboard Layouts
- Multiple Rows per Keyboard
- Multiple Octaves per Keyboard Row
- 15+ Scales (for layouts that support scales)
- MIDI Polyphonic Expression (MPE)
- Standalone operation with multiple Keyboards and dedicated MIDI outputs per Keyboard
- AUv3 MIDI Plugin
- Classic (Piano Keys + Wheels)
- Uniform (Seboard-style Keys and Layout)
- String (String-style Keys)
- Scale (Uniform layout with scale support)
- Chord (One key per chord for all scale degrees)
- Drum (up to 16 user mappable drum pads)
- XY (up to 2 configurable XY-Pads)
- CC (up to 16 user mappable knobs for CC control)
- Glide (horizontal)
- Slide (vertical)
- Velocity (mapped to y-axis)
- Pressure (iPhone only)
- AUv3 MIDI Instrument
- Inter-App MIDI
- USB MIDI
- BLE MIDI
- Network MIDI
- Universal: KB-1 now supports all iPhones starting with the iPhone SE
- Layouts: added Drum layout with up to 16 user mappable pads, velocity and roll
- Layouts: added XY layout with up to 2 XY-pads per row, choose between CC control, Note- or Wheel-Mode
- Layouts: added CC layout with up to 16 user mappable knobs for CC control
- UI: Re-designed Keyboard Settings with a plethora of new options
- UI: Improved UI contrast for better readability
- UI: Tweaked key on/off appearance for better readability across all layouts
- General: Added Polyphonic Note Repeat for most layouts
- General: Added global tempo control
- General: Added Chord Memory (records a triad and lets you play similar chords using a single key/finger)
- General: Added Panic (All Notes Off) button
- General: Added an option to set safe zones between keyboard rows
- General: Wheels can now be enabled on all layouts
- General: Added XY-Pad and a Strumming Control as alternative options to the Wheels
- General: Controllers (Wheels, Pads, Strum) position can be set to left or right
- General: Fixed an issue where manually unlatching keys could generate hanging notes when using MPE
- MPE: Slide CC can now be set freely (by default cc74 is used for MPE slide)
- MPE: Slide can now be set to send aftertouch instead of cc which is great when playing non MPE synths
- MPE: a dedicated MIDI/MPE Section for setting midi output is now available in the settings screen when running the AUv3
- MPE: Added an option to set a custom fixed Velocity value
- Chord Layout: in latch mode, playing a new chord will now release the previous chord
- Chord Layout: fixed an issue where manually unlatching a key would not work in some cases
- Chord layout now has dedicated options for type of chords (triad, fifth, sixth, seventh)
- Chord layout now has dedicated options for multiple rows (octaves, inversions)
- Chord layout now supports the strumming control
- Chord layout scale and root can now be changed from the main screen
- Performance: optimized overall cpu and memory footprint
Ratings and Reviews
Lovely tool that offers a lot
This type of tool should’ve been standard for all music applications that come out today on iOS. Especially the DAWs. This app is very well implemented as a standalone and Auv3. The settings page for Auv3 could use an improvement to show more info on-screen.
Someone left a recent review that stating this tool didn’t work in Cubasis. Maybe it didn’t once but, it works well now! Now if Cubasis would give me the option to make KB1 the default keyboard, things would be golden!
Reward yourself with the future touch keyboards for iOS.
Great Virtual Midi controller, almost
This is what I’ve been looking. Gives you Roli style MPE without the hardware. One thing I found was that it does not work in Cubasis right now. Even as standalone. Works in AUM, BeatMaker 3 and Korg Gadget, but no sound in Cubasis. Hopefully Kai can address this in fixes 😃. I’d really like to see this work in Cubasis.
Keeps getting better. I don’t even know what else to say.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.