By KenKen Puzzle
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
This is the ONE-AND-ONLY Original KenKen®, the unbelievably fun, exciting and addictive logic and math puzzle that appears daily in the New York Times and hundreds of other publications around the globe. NY Times puzzle editor, Will Shortz, calls KenKen "the most addictive puzzle since sudoku." KenKen is a great way for puzzle fans of all ages to exercise their brains, and is the only version of this puzzle authorized by its creator, Japanese educator Tetsuya Miyamoto. Only KenKen guarantees hundreds of difficulty levels and just a single solution per puzzle. Don't be fooled by unauthorized versions such as Mathdoku and Calcudoku, and don't get stuck in a Sudoku rut. Play KenKen math puzzles today!
There are virtually unlimited KenKen puzzles available to you on this app. The first 31 are included FREE with the download. If you need more...no problem! Just order them and they'll appear immediately. YOU select the size, difficulty level, and operations. After you complete a puzzle, a new puzzle of the same type will automatically load so you can continue to challenge yourself.
What is KenKen? This amazing brain exerciser is a grid-based logic puzzle and math game that is frequently described as "sudoku on steroids." How do you play? It’s as EASY as tic-tac-toe... For a 3x3 puzzle, use the numbers 1-3; for a 4x4 puzzle, fill in with numbers 1-4; for a 5x5 puzzle, use the numbers 1-5, and so on. Do not repeat a number in any row or column. Complete rules are available in the app for your convenience.
A Little KenKen History: KENKEN was developed in 2004 by (no, not two guys named Ken) acclaimed Japanese mathematics educator Tetsuya Miyamoto. His goal was to improve his students’ math and logic skills. And what better tool than a puzzle? So he developed one that would be understandable, fun, and challenging for people of all ages and skill levels. Most importantly, he wanted the puzzle to encourage independent thinking, emphasizing logic, reasoning, concentration, and perseverance. His puzzles immediately met with unbelievable success and are now used the world over for kids, adults and the elderly. KenKen has proven to be one of the world's best brain exercises for people of all ages, and can now be found in over 200 publications worldwide.
KenKen Classic includes:
- 31 FREE fun math puzzles of every size and difficulty level
- Unlimited FREE 3x3 size puzzles to learn from and enjoy
- Virtually unlimited puzzles, ranging from 3x3 to 9x9 grids, from Easy to Expert
- A variety of color schemes music (you can even set your own music to play in the background)
- 3 input modes for digits and notes
- Great extra features such as Hints, Check, Undo, Redo, Reset, Pause, and Timer
- Online leaderboards
- Ability to post results directly to Facebook and Twitter - Ability to email results and invite friends
- KenKen Store to purchase puzzles of all sizes and difficulty levels
What's New in Version 1.86
Fixed compatibility with iOS 6 devices...you're good to go!
Fun puzzles, minor technical complaints
Overall I love this app: great puzzles, great diversity of options (size, difficulty, operations.) The pricing seems reasonable as well. I like having the possible-number notes and the option of showing what numbers can't work in a square, although in practice I find having two sets of numbers too confusing so I only use the green numbers.
A couple minor complaints: when I hit undo, I'd like it to just undo the number I put in, instead of also changing the selected square and sometimes the mode (yellow-green) as well. Nearly always when I press undo it's because I hit the wrong number by mistake. It'd also be nice (I don't know how practical this is) to be able to save at a certain point in order to carry through on a guess without losing prior progress (on paper I do this by writing the numbers in the upper right corner until I know that they work out.) Another thing that might be nice is an in-app way of calculating the factors for large numbers, as it is I have to leave the app and pull out a calculator.
I've been doing the 9X9 puzzles, alternating between addition-only and all four operations. I love discovering new tricks for solving the puzzles. Now I've got my boyfriend started on them too!
Update works beautifully, outstanding customer service
I had recently upgraded to version 1.85, only to discover that it didn't work on phones with iOS 6. So I contacted their customer support to see what could be done. They walked me through downgrading the app to an older version using iTunes, and then were very thorough in their attempts to recover my previously purchased puzzles. Unfortunately, they weren't able to do so, but they never gave up, and once version 1.86 was ready, they immediately let me know so I could try it out. All my purchased puzzles were there waiting to be played! If only every company had this exemplary level of customer support. Outstanding!
I've spent a lot of time with this app over the last two weeks and enjoyed it. I only gave it three stars due to the following:
- When switching between "possibility" mode and entry mode, the active box hops around. Because it didn't behave as I expected, I made mistakes that went unnoticed a few times.
- I used the pause button once. When I returned to the game, the undo button didn't work, and when I completed the puzzle (a 50-minute 9x9), it didn't mark it as complete. I killed the app and went back in and it had lost most of my work. That made me cranky and sad.
- I don't think I like the pricing model. Can't I pay once for a puzzle generator instead of continually for more games?
- Category: Games
- Updated: Apr 15, 2015
- Version: 1.86
- Size: 25.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: KenKen Puzzle, LLC
- © KenKen Puzzle LLC.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- 250 Puzzles PLUS full-page AD-FREE$3.99
- 1000 Puzzles PLUS full-page AD-FREE$7.99
- 31 Puzzles PLUS full-page AD-FREE$0.99
- 500 KenKen toKENs$0.99