Take the KGW News app with you everywhere you go and be the first to know of breaking news happening in Portland, Oregon, and Southwest Washington and the surrounding area.
Always stay up to date with the latest local news, state, national, sports, traffic, political, entertainment stories and much more. Download the KGW News app for free today.
Our Local News, Weather and Sports App Features Include:
- Portland and Oregon breaking news alerts with push notifications
- Live streaming breaking news updates from our KGW Newsroom when it happens, where it happens
- The ability to send your news photos, videos and breaking news tips right to our newsroom to be featured on air and online
- Ability to comment on stories that matter to you, and share them via email or your social media pages
- Up to date, current local weather conditions, live traffic and weather cameras, frequent Oregon weather updates, and 7-day forecasts
- An interactive radar that lets you watch storms as they approach. Move the map around to see major weather activity
- All weather alerts and updates, KGW News weather videocasts and more
- Investigative reports from our experienced award-winning journalists in the field
- The ability to watch local KGW 8 TV newscasts live or on-demand
New logic to the article view will now load content much faster and prioritize content over advertisements.
Improved the video preview in the article stream. The user experience adjustments improve scrolling performance and avoid unwanted video playback.
Ratings and Reviews
Unusable — overrun with ads and persistent App Store redirects
Recent updates have injected far too many ads for this app to be usable any longer.
Ads appear as always-onscreen banners at the bottom of the display, as well as full-block panels mixed in with news story listings.
Those alone would make the app borderline unusable, but worst of all are the forced App Store redirects. In the middle of viewing content, with no user prompting whatsoever, something will force the App Store to open. You will be directed to some garbage sponsored app listing, utterly stopping you from reading an article and thus using the KGW app for the purpose it was intended. Worst of all, when switching back to the KGW app, it will almost always redirect you again immediately.
The KGW app as it stands is completely unusable, and will remain so until this disgusting level of intrusive advertising is removed. I am removing it from my device immediately following writing this review.
Good for choosing what news stories to google
This app suuuuuuuuuuucks. It used to be great but it went downhill so fast. Most stories won’t open when you tap them. Video adds pop out of nowhere while you’re reading the few that do open. And the videos you tap on are never there. It’s always something different from the story you’re reading. Good news is I see a lot of stories that are interesting so I can google them and read them elsewhere.
UPDATE: where is the negative star option? Now this app doesn’t work at all. Fully updated it simply won’t open when you press on a story. Going to delete. Not sure why I’ve kept it this long.
Good text article, but video issues
The app has a lot of video clips, sometimes live video. But they’re all preceded by a video ad. Even the 30-second news clips have a 15-second ad before it. Not worth the time, imo. Not only that, some videos don’t correspond to the headline. I wanted to see a video of a Thunder/Blazers game, but saw a trade report (Cavs) instead.
There are a lot of good articles. Some have interesting pictures. But some articles have missing words and typos. Hard to believe a Portland media outlet would make such simple errors.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.