Common Sense Media - Kids' media reviews by age
By Common Sense Media
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Common Sense Media helps your family make great media choices! We offer the biggest most-trusted library of age-appropriate ratings and reviews for movies, games, apps, TV shows, and books your kids will love.
With the Common Sense Media app, you can search our entire library of 25,000 ratings and reviews in the palm of your hand--and you can personalize recommendations just for your kids!
Create profiles for your kids to personalize your search, and discover fun learning apps, recommended movies, and inspiring books to help your child thrive.
Plus, get movie showtimes and download products directly from iTunes, right from our review. (Please note that this feature requires enabling location detection; for this reason our app is not for kids under 13.)
• Detailed reviews give you critical information, including amount of violence, sex, bad language, positive role models, and much more.
• Want a second opinion? See reviews and ratings from other parents and kids too.
• "Picks for My Kids" allows you to create profiles for each of your kids and personalize your search for age-appropriate movies, games, TV shows, and more.
• “Best Lists” are hand-picked lists from our editors to help you discover the very best media for your kids.
• "Families Can Talk About” feature gives you conversation starters to talk to your kids about what they are watching, playing, and reading.
• “Get Showtimes” allows you to search for movies in nearby theaters without leaving the app.
• Watch video reviews and trailers for top movie releases.
• Save reviews as favorites or share with friends on Facebook or Twitter.
• Get notifications when new reviews are posted.
• Available for iPhone and iPad.
Note: you cannot view actual media in our app (except for our video reviews), though we do offer iTunes and Amazon links.
What's New in Version 4.3.2
Our app is now optimized for iPhone Plus. We've also added movie trailers, design and performance enhancements, and bug fixes.
Wonderful Tool For Parents
This is simply a more convenient way to access the Common Sense Media website, albeit a little slower depending on your internet and device (pretty laggy on an iPhone 5). It provides detailed descriptions of content as well as redeeming values, and should be considered a valuable but not completely determining resource in deciding what content you or family should absorb. However, they tend to give most M-rated games a suggested age of 18+ even when they are less violent, sexual, and/or profane than some R-rated movies given lesser age suggestions. So, it is important to conduct a little more research than the information that is given.
Absolute necessity (5 y.o. son / 22 m.o. daughter)
This is as essential to me as a parent as any net resource. We reference it for EVERY media decision for the kids, and it has never failed. It helps us find things they'll both like. It helps us ensure that our 5 y.o. son, who wants "live action" stuff (not animated) "actiony" stuff (super heroes, fighting bad guys, etc), is watching age appropriate content, and not stuff meant for teenagers. My wife is in leadership in the early child Ed field, has met the head of Common Sense Media, and shared with him what an indispensable resource this is for our family and how thankful we are to have it.
I only use the iPhone app. The search function isn't the most accurate. If I type in an obscure but accurate word, I still have to scroll through several listings before finding the one I wanted. It and its sequels should have been at the top of the list. The reviews are inconsistent too. A review of one book will accurately list the language included while a review of the sequel will completely miss most of the language. The app also doesn't allow access to the parent or kids review section. If the reviews are not accurate, the app isn't useful.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Oct 18, 2016
- Version: 4.3.2
- Size: 86.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Common Sense Media
- © Common Sense Media
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.