Common Sense Media - Kids' media reviews by age
By Common Sense Media
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Common Sense Media helps your family make great media choices! We offer the biggest most-trusted library of age-appropriate ratings and reviews for movies, games, apps, TV shows, and books your kids will love.
With the Common Sense Media app, you can search our entire library of 25,000 ratings and reviews in the palm of your hand--and you can personalize recommendations just for your kids!
Create profiles for your kids to personalize your search, and discover fun learning apps, recommended movies, and inspiring books to help your child thrive.
Plus, get movie showtimes and download products directly from iTunes, right from our review. (Please note that this feature requires enabling location detection; for this reason our app is not for kids under 13.)
• Detailed reviews give you critical information, including amount of violence, sex, bad language, positive role models, and much more.
• Want a second opinion? See reviews and ratings from other parents and kids too.
• "Apps for Learning" highlights the best iOS apps for learning--and lets you download those apps right from the review.
• "Picks for My Kids" allows you to create profiles for each of your kids and personalize your search for age-appropriate movies, games, TV shows, and more.
• “Best Lists” are hand-picked lists from our editors to help you discover the very best media for your kids.
• "Families Can Talk About” feature gives you conversation starters to talk to your kids about what they are watching, playing, and reading.
• “Get Showtimes” allows you to search for movies in nearby theaters without leaving the app.
• “See it in iTunes” lets you easily download movies, TV shows, and apps, and iBooks in iTunes directly from reviews.
• Watch video reviews of top movie releases.
• Save reviews as favorites or share with friends on Facebook or Twitter.
• Get notifications when new reviews are posted.
• Available for iPhone and iPad.
Note: you cannot view actual media in our app (except for our video reviews), though we do offer iTunes and Amazon links.
What's New in Version 4.3.1
Amazing resource for parents
We have been using Common Sense Media's Kids Media app for several years. Anytime our children want to watch something new, we always pull up the app to check the film/cartoon/tv show/etc and to see if it is age appropriate for our children. It's also become comforting for our children to know that we have a filter to support them in their media choices. They even say things like, "This movie is not for me, I have to be 8 years old." The guide is especially helpful to have talking points to discuss what was watched with our children. The only reason I'm not giving the app 5 stars is because, on my iPhone 5, I had trouble tapping the magnifying glass icon to then bring up the search function. Overall an amazing resource for parents (and kids).
A "Must" for Parents
We have been using The Common Sense Media App to help us preview a variety of movies, books, apps/games for my daughter for years. The specific information they are able to provide is so helpful. Kids are different and there are many topics that may be just right for other 12 yo.s that are too intense for her. Likewise, she can handle a lot of PG-13 movies with no problem. The key is knowing the specifics of certain areas ahead of time, and that is where Common Sense Media really shines! Likewise, I love getting their emails with recommendations. It has lead us to some real gems that we wouldn't have otherwise found. It is just an all around wonderful resource for parents.
Great resource for ALL media info, not just movies
This app / source is invaluable for deciding what might be appropriate for my kids, in an informed not dictatorial way. They provide an age rating, plus specific instances of what led them to that rating (e.g. which swear words), so you can make your own informed decision. In addition to their own age rating, if you click on USER REVIEWS, they show you what age parents rate it, what kids rate it, and expository reviews of the movie. A wealth of info to help you decide, for movies AND books and games.
You should explore the source behind the app's info, it's a bigger ecosystem devoted to the same goal; I actually came to the app from their website.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: May 09, 2016
- Version: 4.3.1
- Size: 73.9 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Common Sense Media
- © Common Sense Media
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.