Award winning, research backed articulation approach - Kids Sound Lab is designed for parents and professionals who want to give their children a head-start with pronunciation of English sounds. Five star rating and excellent reviews by Educational App Store in 2017 and voted one out of six best apps in Education at BETT 2016. Created by a certified speech- language pathologist. The sounds are presented in the same order that children acquire sounds, so parents can control the difficulty level and begin by practicing easier sounds. Ideal for families with English as a second language. Children are taught to make the sounds in isolation and then practice the sounds in syllable and words, as they prepare the key phonological skills necessary for reading later in life.
Research shows significant progress when using the methodology of Kids Sound Lab (KSL) to promote correct articulation and literacy in beginning readers attending preschool and first grade. (Gudmundsdottir, 2014, Aevarsdottir, 2016). Consultants for Kids Sounds Lab are Dr. Barbara Hodson at Wichita State Univ., KS, and Dr. Katherine Abbot Verdolini at Univ. of Pittsburg, PA, both leading specialists in the field of articulation, phonology and voice.
- User friendly program for use by parents
- Voice recording and playback feature for monitoring immediate responses
- Each sound has three interactive game activities at the end of each level
- 24 Consonant Sounds in English introduced in a systematic way with emphasis on visual and auditory recall/memory for each consonant
- Descriptions of how to produce all sounds are provided by engaging characters Bonnie and Bobbie
CONSONANTS AND VOWELS
- Consonant sounds in the main menu listed in developmental order of sound acquisition
- Vowels introduced separately A - E - I - O - U as long vowels that say their own names and short vowels that do not say their own names
- A step by step approach is taken. Most consonant sounds are practiced in a sound play in CV > consonant – vowel syllables > so all sounds are produced correctly before they are put into words
- Sounds practiced at beginning of words*: /m, n, b, p, d, t, w, y, h, k, g, f, v, ng, ch, j, sh, s, z, l, r, voiceless and voiced th/
- Prevocalic and consonantal R is introduced and practiced (this is R followed by a vowel – which can be easier to remediate and use to shape other vocalic Rs later)
- The (ng, zh) sounds are practiced in the middle and end of words, as they do not occur at the beginning of words
- Voiced /th/ practiced at the beginning, middle and end of words
If you are buying the full version please choose Kids Sound Lab Pro.
The author; Bryndis Gudmundsdottir was awarded a "Special Recognition Award 2011" from Global Women Inventors and Innovators Network (GWIIN) for her innovative work in the field of speech pathology.
Kids Sound Lab, evolved through years of clinical work and studies in collaboration with Dr. Bernard Silverstein professor at UT Knoxville (d. 2003).
Kids Sound Lab has been shortlisted for the BETT Awards 2016, in the category Educational App.
Original pictures made by illustrators/graphic designers B.Kristjansson and H.S.Thorgeirsdottir
- Original music and rhythm by Vedis, Icelandic singer and composer
The Icelandic version of Kids Sound Lab is shown on Icelandic TV, Channel 2. The Icelandic Innovation Center supported Kids Sound Lab.
More information: www.kidssoundlab.com, Youtube.com/laerumogleikum,
Review on Educational App Store:
New update in May 2017. Fixed the balloons on iPhone - now kids can enjoy tapping them again as they listen to and repeat the sound syllables! Five star rating and excellent reviews by Educational App Store in 2017. Kids Sound Lab -PRO was voted as one out of six best apps in Education at BETT2016. At the same time we have new research (2014 and 2016) to back up that the methodology is working for all children learning to read. So let´s all be happy and tap the balloons!
Ratings and Reviews
Out of the many good and helpful apps on articulation this updated version is great! It leads us so easily through the learning of sounds, gives us an opportunity to record and also to keep track of progress. Excellent product! My family highly recomends it!
Best App we've tried
Highly recommend this. We are using it for our two toddlers and they are improving their sounds immensely. Thanks Kids Sound Lab!
Great app for my kids
My kids will be using this to practice their pronunciations. We already have the Icelandic version which they love, especially the games. Great job!
- Raddlist ehf
- 288 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Raddlist ehf
- In-App Purchases
- Complete content $19.99
- The K Sound $2.99
- The S Sound $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.