Kindle – Read Books, eBooks, Magazines, Newspapers & Textbooks
By AMZN Mobile LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Kindle app is optimized for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, giving users the ability to read Kindle books, newspapers, magazines, textbooks and PDFs on a beautiful, easy-to-use interface. You’ll have access to over 1,000,000* books in the Kindle Store plus hundreds* of newspapers and magazines. Amazon Whispersync automatically syncs your last page read, bookmarks, notes, and highlights across devices (including Kindle), so you can pick up your book where you left off on another device.
Get the best reading experience available on your iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch:
• Shop the Kindle Store by visiting Amazon for the largest selection of books people want to read: millions of books, including hundreds of thousands of titles that are exclusive to the Kindle Store and over 1.7 million titles that are $9.99 or less.
• Get free book samples – read the first chapter free before you decide to buy via Kindle Free Sample Search.
• Customize your reading experience by choosing margin size, line spacing, background color, font size, font style, and either portrait or landscape format.
• Tap and hold text to quickly highlight important sections, easily edit or change highlight colors, and select long passages that span multiple pages.
• Exclusive to Kindle, X-Ray lets you see the “bones of the book” and learn more about notable characters, places, and phrases with descriptions from Shelfari and Wikipedia. (English Titles Only)
• Collections: Easily categorize books, docs, and magazines with a few, easy taps.
• Instant dictionary word lookup with 250,000 entries and definitions. Tap and hold a word to view the definition. You can also use previously purchased Dictionaries, such as medical, legal, or other translation references.
• Search inside the book to find a character, topic, or section you want to revisit.
• Simply tap on either side of the screen or flick to turn pages.
• You can also read your Kindle books on your Kindle e-reader, Kindle Fire, PC, Mac, Android-based device, Windows Phone 8-based device, or in your web browser with Kindle Cloud Reader. Our Whispersync technology syncs your last page read, notes, bookmarks, and highlights across devices, so you can pick up where you left off.
• Read hundreds* of newspapers and magazines including The Economist, Reader’s Digest, Martha Stewart Living, and Food Network Magazine with high resolution color images. Visit the Kindle Store to subscribe to a newspaper or magazine and have each edition automatically delivered, or purchase individual issues.
• Email PDFs & other documents to your new Send-to-Kindle e-mail address and we deliver them to your device. The documents are automatically archived in the Amazon Cloud and available for re-download on your iOS or supported Kindle devices. You can also read PDFs from Mail, Safari, or by transferring them from iTunes.
• With Kindle textbooks you save up to 60% off print list prices when you buy, and up to 80% when you rent. Use the Notebook in your Print Replica textbooks to review your bookmarks, highlights, notes. Tag and filter the most important items to study.
• Accessibility features make it easier for blind and visually impaired customers to navigate their Kindle libraries, read & interact with books, and more. Enable VoiceOver in your device settings to begin. A quick reference to gestures can be found under the FAQ section in settings.
* Selection and price of books and periodicals in the Kindle Store may vary by country.
What's New in Version 4.1.2
Performance and Stability Improvements
Excellent for reading
I never touched an app like this until I realized that digital books are cheaper when you're going to school.
I've used this app for several of my college textbooks and it's been smooth sailing. Importing books and other documents was also easy, with larger files taking more time (as expected).
Chapter and header lines import great, and allow for quick skipping through. (Just make sure the book or doc already has headings and chapter markers; not all of them do.)
For people who like highlighting , this app might be your downfall. As far as I know, I haven't found any sort of highlighting feature or annotation option, which limits this app's abilities for students or editors.
I would recommend this app for people who are avid or leisure readers, as well as broke college students who prefer digital books.
Crashes - Unsable
Downloaded 4.1.2 today and downloaded my first book. Could not buy from iPhone and had to complete the transaction from the Web browser. Once purchased, the book would not properly load and is completely unreadable on both my iPhone 5s and iPadAir. Not sure if it is bugs in the app or corruption in the book. The pop-up errors on my device state that an error occured and I should remove the book from my device and download again from the cloud. If that doesn't work deregister the app and register. Neither worked on either device. I even tried deleting the app and reinstalling. The concept is simple but Amzon can't seem to present set of pictures and text in a linear fashion so that the pages can be read. I will get blank pages and a spinner most often. The app will decide to jump to the middle of the book and not allow you to go to next or previous page. Very frustrating. The book in questions is "Scrum: A breathtakingly brief and agile introduction".
I wish there was a way...
I love this alternative so much more than textbooks. I just wish all my text books. But there are still some things that I prefer way more to textbooks than the iPad.
I wish I could have the option to write notes in the margins in my own handwriting- like being able to bracket paragraphs.
I used to use different and multiple color bookmarks to remind me where an important idea was. The app only allows me to bookmark with one color. Which makes me have to rethink why I bookmarked it in the first place. But that's ok. Just little things. Otherwise I think the app is pretty much perfect.
- Category: Books
- Updated: Feb 04, 2014
- Version: 4.1.2
- Size: 22.6 MB
- Languages: English, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish
- Seller: AMZN Mobile LLC
- © 2009-2013 Amazon.com, Inc. or its Affiliates.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.