Kindle – Read Books, eBooks, Magazines, Newspapers & Textbooks
By AMZN Mobile LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Carry a library in your pocket anywhere you go. Get access to more than 3,000,000 books and audiobooks including over 850,000 Kindle exclusive titles. With the Kindle app, get your book once and read it on any device and share across your family’s devices. Choose from a wide selection of books, newspapers, and magazines from Wall Street Journal, New York Times to Reader’s Digest.
Build your own library
• Read a sample of any book before adding it to your library
• Share your books across your household with Family Library
• Get personalized recommendations with Welcome Experience
• Get popular magazines and newspapers, and even textbooks with high-resolution color images
• Go into your local library to check out an eBook, and have it delivered wirelessly to your Kindle app
Best reading tools
• Customize your reading experience with your preferred font style, font size, background color, line spacing and margin size
• Enjoy nighttime reading with adjustable screen brightness
• Easily edit or change highlight colors, and select long passages that span multiple pages
• Tap and hold text for instant definition and translations
• Search inside the book to find key ideas, characters, and locations using smart look-up, as well as background info and biographies from Wikipedia within the app with X-Ray for Books (English, German, Japanese, Chinese titles only)
• Accessibility features make it easier for blind and visually impaired readers to navigate Kindle libraries, read & interact with books, and more
• Enjoy unlimited access to over 800,000 titles and thousands of audiobooks with Kindle Unlimited eBook Subscription
• Automatically synchronize bookmarks, annotations, and your furthest page read across devices and app with Whispersync
• Switch seamlessly between reading your Kindle book and listening to its audio companion with Whispersync for Voice
• Maintain the rich formatting of your textbook, just like the print edition, with Kindle Print Replica
• Explore important terms in your textbook using X-Ray, including links to Wikipedia and YouTube content
• Make your own flashcards or auto-generate them to brush up on concepts, terms, and definitions after each chapter
Organize your reading
• Easily group your reads into custom categories with Kindle’s Collection. The sorted collections are then stored in the Cloud linked to your Amazon account
• Send PDFs or any documents to Kindle for later reading. Amazon provides free Personal Documents Service to assist with file transfers
What's New in Version 4.20
Double spread layout for comics
Fix for Cloud Library sync problems (for very large libraries this might take a few seconds)
Bug fixes and performance improvements
Needs a minor tweak that will greatly improve user experience
Since I got a iPad Air 2, I use this more than my than my actual Kindle. However, I have one minor tweak that should make the experience much better. This needs split-view support. For the uninitiated, certain iPads (iPad Air 2, Mini 4, the Pros and anything newer) can have two active apps open at the same time. You can adjust how much screen real estate each active app takes up as well. It's great if you have to use more than one app at a time. Kindle currently doesn't support this- not fully anyway. The best you can do is open a list of available apps- but once you start using a second app, it takes over the whole screen and Kindle goes bye-bye.
If you're like me, you use your Kindle for more than just pleasure reading. I work in tech, and I am constantly educating myself with articles, tech references, and tech books. I use Kindle a lot. Occasionally, I like to have the subject that I am reading about open while I read. Split view would be very helpful.
It would also be helpful to students as well. Imagine you're writing a paper on, say, the Great Gatsby. You could have the book open on one side and Microsoft Word open on the other.
I love reading so I'm on this app daily. In general, the app is acceptable. Even though it gets frustrating when I'm searching for a book.
My complaint is that there's no way to sort out the books the way I want. Your limited to by title, by author, or recent. I wish you can customize it.
I download so many books at one time. Practically every day, I get a book. Sometimes I download a book I intend to read but then another book catches my eye and so on and so forth. Then later on, I've forgotten what that book was until another time when I'm looking for another title.
Right now you can categorize it. But you can't rank or sort it.
What I would like is that there should be a way to mark the books I want to read first. Then also mark the books I've already read. Then mark the books that I don't want to read again but don't want to delete from my library. And I also want a way to write notes on the book. Like reminders. I believe there is a way now but only when you're IN the book. It's not something you can see while your browsing the library.
It should be almost like Netflix. There's a way to sort out the movies you want to watch next. Or highlight. Or check. Right now I just have a to-do category. But within that category, you can't rank it. Which I would really prefer to do on the library screen.
Just a thought...
Addicted to my Kindle
I bought a kindle when it was first released and stopped watching my weekly TV shows. The kindle was so revolutionary because I could get just about any book anytime I wanted without the hassle of carrying multiple books around at a time.
I'm an avid reader. On average I read five to seven books a week. If the book is good, I read until I finish.
I have the kindle app on all my devices which seems to work best on my IPhone. I've noticed that a lot of the kinks have been worked out of the past couple years which is great.
I've bought a three kindle fires for all of my girls, and two paper whites for my oldest daughter. My personal models are not sold anymore. Maybe I'll treat myself to a new one later this year.
The best gift to give an avid reader.
- Category: Books
- Updated: May 16, 2016
- Version: 4.20
- Size: 89.1 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Seller: AMZN Mobile LLC
- © 2009-2016 Amazon.com, Inc. or its Affiliates.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.