Kindle – Read Books, eBooks, Magazines, Newspapers & Textbooks
By AMZN Mobile LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Kindle app is optimized for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, giving users the ability to read Kindle books, newspapers, magazines, textbooks and PDFs on a beautiful, easy-to-use interface. You’ll have access to over 1,000,000 books plus hundreds of newspapers and magazines. Amazon Whispersync automatically syncs your last page read, bookmarks, notes, and highlights across devices, so you can pick up your book where you left off on another device.
Get the best reading experience available on your iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch:
• Customize your reading experience by choosing margin size, line spacing, background color, font size, font style, and either portrait or landscape format.
• Tap and hold text to quickly highlight important sections, easily edit or change highlight colors, and select long passages that span multiple pages.
• Exclusive to Kindle, X-Ray lets you see the “bones of the book” and learn more about notable characters, places, and phrases with descriptions from Shelfari and Wikipedia. (English Titles Only)
• Collections: Easily categorize books, docs, and magazines with a few, easy taps.
• Instant dictionary word lookup with 250,000 entries and definitions. Tap and hold a word to view the definition. You can also use previously purchased Dictionaries, such as medical, legal, or other translation references.
• Search inside the book to find a character, topic, or section you want to revisit.
• Simply tap on either side of the screen or flick to turn pages.
• Our Whispersync technology syncs your last page read, notes, bookmarks, and highlights across devices, so you can pick up where you left off.
• Read hundreds of newspapers and magazines including The Economist, Reader’s Digest, Martha Stewart Living, and Food Network Magazine with high resolution color images.
• Email PDFs & other documents to your new Send-to-Kindle e-mail address and we deliver them to your device. The documents are automatically archived in the Amazon Cloud and available for re-download on your iOS devices. You can also read PDFs from Mail, Safari, or by transferring them from iTunes.
• Use the Notebook in your Print Replica textbooks to review your bookmarks, highlights, notes. Tag and filter the most important items to study.
• Accessibility features make it easier for blind and visually impaired customers to navigate their Kindle libraries, read & interact with books, and more. Enable VoiceOver in your device settings to begin. A quick reference to gestures can be found under the FAQ section in settings.
What's New in Version 4.7.5
Stability and Performance Improvements
Nice Speech Output Functionality For Visually Impaired, But Room For Improvement
Kindle for iOS is much more accessible to blind readers than any other other edition of Kindle had been previously. But it's utility still leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to those who would prefer reading in refresh able Braille via a Bluetooth-enabled Braille display alone. This is because a blind user cannot customize the advancement from one page to the next. On AppleVis forums others have expressed the same frustration. Yes, the menu does contain a picker function that let's me swipe from one location to another. But it's far too sensitive--going from Page 4 to Page 49 in the Kindle book I'm currently reading and not even allowing me to go back to any point in between.
The Kindle app menu also contains an edit box into which one can supposedly type a desired page number. For a VoiceOver user, though, this is only theoretical; I couldn't find any place on the screen to enter a page number.
The Page Chooser in iBooks is heavenly by comparison.
Money & Time Saver, I Love the Kindle App!
I have been purchasing many textbooks and required readings for grad school and realized many are offered on Kindle. I am the kind of person who rather a book in hand but went ahead and purchased a Kindle Paper White because the perks outweighed my book-in-hand preference. I am so happy I did!
Kindle version textbooks save you money, give you immediate accessibility, AND you are able to sync your highlights and notes to all compatible devices (i.e. iPad, iPhone, kindle, etc.). Other bonus features are the search and definition components. The search feature allows you to locate any quote or term within the book and the definition feature allows you to define any term within the text you aren't familiar with.
This is my most used app!
I am always reading something and the kindle app is why. I am never away from my phone and so I always have a book in my pocket. I have no trouble reading on my phone and I wear bifocals, so if I can do it so can you. I read while I wait in the car to pick up my kids. I read while my family watches sports on tv. If I have a moment, I can open the app on my phone and there's my book. Best thing is that as soon as I finish, I can get another book even if I am on a beach. My only complaint about kindle unlimited is that they don't offer very much in their search options. I would like to search for genres and I can only search titles or just browse. I'm sure that it will evolve but the subscription saves me a ton of money over buying each book.
- Category: Books
- Updated: Mar 16, 2015
- Version: 4.7.5
- Size: 75.4 MB
- Languages: English, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Seller: AMZN Mobile LLC
- © 2009-2015 Amazon.com, Inc. or its Affiliates.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.