By AMZN Mobile LLC
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
The Kindle app gives users the ability to read Kindle books on a beautiful, easy-to-use interface. You’ll have access to over 1,000,000* books in the Kindle Store, including best sellers and new releases. Amazon Whispersync automatically syncs your last page read, bookmarks, notes, and highlights across devices (including Kindle), so you can pick up where you left off on another device.
Get the best reading experience available on your Mac:
• Shop the Kindle Store for over 1,000,000* Kindle books, including New Releases and 107 of 111 New York Times Best Sellers. Over 610,000* of these books are $9.99 or less, including 79 New York Times Best Sellers.
• Start reading immediately with three free books: Pride and Prejudice, Treasure Island, and Aesop’s Fables. Thousands more free classics are available in the Kindle Store.
• Get free book samples – read the first chapter free before you decide to buy.
• Customize your reading experience by choosing the background color and font size.
• Instant dictionary word lookup with 250,000 entries and definitions. Select a word to view the definition. Use the Google and Wikipedia links to get more information.
• Search inside the book to find a character, topic, or section you want to revisit.
• Simply click on either side of the screen or press the arrow keys to turn pages.
• You can also read your Kindle books on your Kindle, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX, iPhone, iPad, PC, Android-based device, BlackBerry, and Windows Phone 7-based device. Our Whispersync technology syncs your last page read, notes, bookmarks, and highlights across devices, so you can pick up where you left off.
* Selection and price of books in the Kindle Store may vary by country.
What's New in Version 1.10.6
Support for China marketplace.
Support for Retina display.
Miscellaneous bug fixes and performance improvements.
Great App needs to keep up with the iPhone/iPad app updates
I love this app, it works beautifully on its own and with my other devices (I have a lot of other devices multiple PC/Mac devices and 1 Kindle. I have one disappointment and 1 request. I am disappointed that all my other devices have added in the last upgrade the ability to incorporate audio to certain books if you pay for the audio version while my MacBook Pro has not added this feature yet. I see my MacBook Pro as the hub of my devices and was surprised that this feature has not been added to this app as well. I am looking forward to the next update to include this great feature. My request is to be able to customize the order of my collections and be able to have them stay in place, either by locking the order or by not having the order changed unless I re-order it. There are some collections that I favor more and would like quick access to and others that are not as important to me. Thank you for your help with these two areas. Otherwise the app works great and is one of my favorite apps.
The app for my iphone and iPads are great. The app for my Mac is soo horrible. The search feature is one of the reasons I chose to purchase my textbook as an ebook. The search feature takes soo long, and you are required to wait for it to find 100 results before it will stop wiggling long enough for you to make a selection. You have to search for only one word at a time. If need to search for more than one you’d better hope you have the words in the order they are in the textbook. Either way, searching for more than one word makes the search take minutes longer. Using hand movements on my trackpad are the opposite direction of every other movement I make on my mac. Closing the search bar on the side is delayed, so i click again thinking i didnt click on the right part and then it catches up and closes and opens again.
I cannot express fully how much I dread having to use the kindle app on my computer. It is HORRIBLE. I look forward to this app receiving overdue upgrades to bring it on par with the iPhone/ipad apps.
after many years, no support for text books!
I have all my textbooks on Kindle. I use it for reading medical literature, not as much for casual reading. The Kindle app should have a study mode that can help me study more efficiently. The biggest issue I have is that when I click on the images, it gives me a worthless definition instead of zooming or blowing up the image (like it does on the IOS app).
The one star is because no new features have been added in many years. There is no “study mode” and I am sure a lot of people are using this for their professional development. (i.e. more granular search filters, ability to save searches, search for a topic accross multiple books, ability to organize the text based on the index, and ZOOM in on images. Maybe even linking with scopus or google scholar so I can look for further sources).
NOT ALL OF US USE THE KINDLE APP TO READ FICTION! IF YOU ARE SELLING TEXTBOOKS, MAKE A READER FOR TEXTBOOKS!