By AMZN Mobile LLC
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
The Kindle app gives users the ability to read Kindle books on a beautiful, easy-to-use interface. You’ll have access to over 1,000,000* books in the Kindle Store, including best sellers and new releases. Amazon Whispersync automatically syncs your most recent page read, bookmarks, notes, and highlights across devices (including Kindle), so you can pick up where you left off on another device.
Get the best reading experience available on your Mac:
• Shop the Kindle Store for over 1,000,000* Kindle books, including New Releases. Over 610,000* of these books are $9.99 or less, including many of the New York Times Best Sellers.
• Start reading immediately with three free books: Pride and Prejudice, Treasure Island, and Aesop’s Fables. Thousands more free classics are available in the Kindle Store.
• Get free book samples – read the first chapter free before you decide to buy.
• Customize your reading experience by choosing the background color and font size.
• Instant dictionary word lookup with 250,000 entries and definitions. Select a word to view the definition. Use the Google and Wikipedia links to get more information.
• Search inside the book to find a character, topic, or section you want to revisit.
• Simply click on either side of the screen or press the arrow keys to turn pages.
• You can also read your Kindle books on your Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX, Amazon Fire Phone, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone, iPad, PC, Android-based device, BlackBerry, and Windows Phone 7-based device. Our Whispersync technology syncs your last page read, notes, bookmarks, and highlights across devices, so you can pick up where you left off.
* Selection and price of books in the Kindle Store may vary by country.
What's New in Version 1.12.3
Support OS X El Capitan
still crashing, even with El Capitan loaded; can’t open books; app is crashing every time I open it
Now I have El Capitan loaded. The application worked correctly two times. After that, it has been crashing every time I open it. Help!!
Crashes every time now. I used the old version regularly. With the new version, first I could not sort by recent and then I found I could not open my books; now the app is crashing every time I open it.
From what I had been reading in other complaints, I guessed my Kindle software updated automatically - I checked and, yes, it did update automatically. I did not manually download this new, currently non-functional version. I thought we may need Apple’s new El Capitan update to hopefully make this new version of Kindle work. Now I have loaded El Capitan. After working correctly for one session, in which I opened the app twice, the app has gone back to crashing every time.
I have a few thousand books in my library and I use them for my work as well as pleasure. I don’t want to wait for weeks for the El Capitan update to be able to use them. I don’t want to have to remove and re-download all of my books. I don’t want to lose my notes from my books.
Needs to be improved
Doesn’t sync reading position with my Kindle Paperwhite - the iOS version syncs well with it, why can’t this app?
Scrolling has been implemented extremely poorly; using a Magic Mouse to scroll through pages feels like torture - you have no idea what direction it’s going and there’s a huge lag in between pages. Same applies to the scrollbar at the bottom - the aforementioned delay renders it useless.
Navigation is very unintuitive; you never really know what will happen when you press the back button.
The refresh button seems to be doing precisely nothing, I’m not sure what it’s supposed to be for and it looks like a sync button although it surely does not sync anything.
I just downloaded this app and I was worried that it wouldn’t work right because of all the negative reviews but all my books are desplaying correctly and everything seems to be working just fine. I have a 2008 iMac running Yosemite and I noticed a lot of the negative reviews seem to be using MacBooks so maybe its a problem with macbook. I would download a free book and make sure it all looks right first though because of all the other reviews.