"It's shocking Google never created this software on its own." -- Inc.
“Can’t miss app.” -- Mashable
Kiwi for Gmail Lite turns Gmail it into a full-powered desktop email client that takes everything you know and love about Gmail and adds great new features. It also includes a new sidebar with icons that provide easy access to your Inbox, Calendar, and Contacts and enables you to create new messages and events with ease. Deeper integration with other Google apps and the ability to simplify your life by seamlessly managing up to six accounts is available in the full version of the Kiwi for Gmail 2.0 with G Suite.
One of the most anticipated apps on Kickstarter in 2015 and two years in the making, Kiwi for Gmail delivers a sophisticated app that thoroughly integrates Gmail into your desktop experience in ways that simply aren’t possible in the browser. To do this, we rebuilt how Gmail functions on the desktop from the ground up to make it faster, easier to use, and more reliable.
Traditional email clients like Mail or Outlook end up delivering basic access but end up removing most of Gmail’s unique features in trying to be one-size-fits-all for every email service. Our full-featured email client enables Gmail itself to be used, but with the seamless fluidity of a native email application.
Get started today and discover a whole new way to use Gmail.
• NOTE: This is NOT a trial app, but a full email client for Gmail, just with fewer features than the full app and supporting one account.
• NOTE: Kiwi for Gmail does not have *offline support*, which is incompatible with serving all Gmail's features.
• NOTE: Kiwi for Gmail does not support Google's Inbox.
• Use Gmail as a desktop app, freed from the browser.
• Get to your Gmail account in a single click. Never sign in again. Never search through tabs again or type to get to your email.
• Chat - works across multiple accounts, like you'd expect.
• Google Drive - works across multiple accounts flawlessly, which you can't even do in Chrome.
• Gmail as a Polished Desktop Experience - Windows for new messages, the calendar, Google Drive; Attach photos, documents, or whatever you want by just dragging them on; An inbox that works like a desktop application and not a strange menubar dropdown hybrid -- we've thought of everything.
• Gmail as your Default Email Client - It really works. Replace Mail and Outlook completely with Kiwi for Gmail - click an email in Contacts or the browser and it'll open one of our beautiful new email windows.
• Dock icon, Menubar dropdown, and full Inbox window.
• Gorgeous, simple New Message windows - Vastly improved over the browser.
• Huge attachments - Send giant files using Google Drive, which is now so quick to do, it's even simpler than Dropbox.
What's Available in the Kiwi for Gmail 2.0 with G Suite (not in Lite).
• Multiple Accounts - Use up to 6 Gmail accounts simultaneously
• Ability to use Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides as native, windowed desktop applications within Kiwi for Gmail
• Open documents in their own windows allowing you to multi-task like never before
• Ability to open recent documents and quickly access Google Drive files across multiple accounts
• Quick access to all GSuite applications
• Ability to open various file types directly within Kiwi for Gmail, including gsheet, gform, gdoc, gslides, gdraw, glink and gnote
• Global Keyboard Shortcuts - let you get to your email in a second.
• Important-Only Notifications - a desktop email first; lets you filter the noise out of your email effortlessly.
• The Zen Switch(tm) - shut off all email notifications so you can focus, without shutting out the whole world.
• Full support for the popular Gmail plugin Boomerang.
• More Gmail plugins coming soon. - We'll be integrating various third-party plugins in coming updates to the full version of Kiwi.
- Updated underlying framework
- Fixed several bugs
Ratings and Reviews
Crashes all the time
App works well when it’s not crashing. But it crashes, and sometimes at the most inopportune times.
Crashes more not less
Overall it is a good app.
But when I create a new message, the New message window opens, I type my message, I click on Send, the message gets sent and then the window does not close. I stare at a blank New message window superimposed on my mailbox until I close the superfulous window manually.
And when I am in the process of creating a message (new or a reply) and a draft was created, if I open an existing message, then try to go back to my draft, I often cannot re-open the draft. When I click on it, it does not open.
These are pretty basic and frustrating issues.
Basic, but helpful
For those who appreciate having separation of concerns between gmail/calendar and their web browser, but hate the bloat of native Mail, this is a nice compromise. It has a few annoying quirks (given gmail's own lags, I wish CMD+R refreshed) but I greatly prefer the notification and topbar features Kiwi lite adds. One account is enough for me, so lite is nice to have.
Additionally, there is a long-standing bug where you are unduly restricted on the image types you can upload and hve to do that in a browser window. If they fixed that, I’d be 99% happy with it.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.