Kiwi for Gmail
By Zive, Inc.
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
"It's shocking Google never created this software on its own." -- Inc.
“Can’t miss app.” -- Mashable
Kiwi for Gmail 2.0 integrates all of G Suite (formerly Google Apps) with Gmail as the centerpiece. We turn Gmail and the rest of G Suite into a full-powered desktop client that takes everything you know and love about Gmail and apps such as Docs, Sheets and Slides, and add great new features – including the ability to simplify your life by seamlessly managing multiple Gmail accounts. Finally a solution for office productivity that competes with Microsoft Office 365.
Kiwi for Gmail 2.0 with G Suite revolutionizes Gmail by transforming not only the functionality and interface of Gmail itself, but also how it works with Google Apps. By providing multiple windows, desktop integration, and a simple, intuitive interface that allows you to quickly access each application, open new documents, and get back to recent documents with a single click, Kiwi for Gmail 2.0 now gives you all the great functionality of G Suite apps in a better way.
One of the most anticipated apps on Kickstarter in 2015 and two years in the making, Kiwi for Gmail delivers a sophisticated app that thoroughly integrates Gmail into your desktop experience in ways that simply aren’t possible in the browser. To do this, we rebuilt how Gmail functions on the desktop from the ground up to make it faster, easier to use, and more reliable.
Get started today and discover a whole new way to use Gmail and G Suite.
• Use Gmail as a desktop app, freed from the browser
• Reliable Multiple Accounts - Use up to 6 Gmail accounts simultaneously using an architecture that's more reliable than traditional Gmail
• Ability to use Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides as native, windowed desktop applications within Kiwi for Gmail
• Ability to open documents in their own windows so you can multi-task like never before using documents across applications and accounts
• Ability to open recent documents and quickly access Google Drive files across multiple accounts
• Intuitive new toolbar on the left side of the traditional Gmail interface provides quick access to all G Suite applications
• Saves all open document windows on exit and restores on relaunch, preserving window size, location, and account in the process
• Ability to open various file types directly within Kiwi for Gmail, including gsheet, gform, gdoc, gslides, gdraw, glink and gnote
• Offline access for Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides is in development
• Boomerang plugin fully supported
• Huge attachments - Send giant files using Google Drive, which is now so quick to do, it's even simpler than Dropbox.
• Powerful Keyboard Shortcuts - let you get to your email in a second.
• Important-Only Notifications - a desktop email first; use this optional feature and filter the noise right out of your email effortlessly.
• The Zen Switch(tm) - shut off all email notifications so you can focus, without shutting out the whole world.
• NOTE: Kiwi for Gmail does not have *offline support*, which is incompatible with serving all Gmail's features.
• NOTE: Kiwi for Gmail does not support Google's Inbox.
• Gmail as a Polished Desktop Experience - Windows for new messages, the calendar, Google Drive; Attach photos, documents, or whatever you want by just dragging them on; An inbox that works like a desktop application and not a strange menubar dropdown hybrid -- we've thought of everything.
• Gmail as your Default Email Client - It really works. Replace Mail and Outlook completely with Kiwi for Gmail - click an email in Contacts or the browser and it'll open one of our beautiful new email windows.
• Dock icon, Menubar dropdown, and full Inbox window.
• Gorgeous, simple New Message windows - Vastly improved over the browser.
• More Gmail plugins - We'll be integrating various third-party plugins in coming updates.
What's New in Version 2.0.4
- Find in page for inbox and message windows (cmd-f brings up Find, cmd-g moves to next match)
- Fix layout issue for certain configurations
- Fix issue with crash in rare circumstances
- Fixes for SSO issues with not quite valid certificates
- Update the unread counts when waking up
- Resolve a security bookmark issue for download location handling
- Stay quiet when the OS is in Do Not Disturb mode
- Speed up display of compose new message window in certain situations
- Resolve a potential crash on initial install
Interface getting worse
Addition of other components to the G Suite feels tacked on. Added + buttons on the sidebar made me eliminate it entirely. Search feature design feels horribly tacked on with useless space between previous and next.
Overall really nice, though only barely better than electron wrappers for gmail. Memory usage not a ton better than the browser and the buttons within settings could be skinned to look a bit less like Netscape Navigator. Notifications when working with multiple accounts are spotty and I still have to log in periodically on them at the least useful times. It beats Mail, Outlook, and several others out for not hoarding huge amounts of local storage, but doesn’t win any awards for low memory usage. Biggest charm is the multiple email account support not being frustrating like a browser, but the ability to turn off the rest of the google stuff that I really don’t want in my email would be a plus.
I’d think plugin support for PGP or some other things that are actually useful would be better than Boomerang, which brags over 100 million emails accross 416 thousand businesses. That 240 emails per business, which seems ridiculously low.
Fantastic app inches away from 5 stars!
I was a little hesitant when purchasing the app. I’ve seen too many apps claim to be the perfect wrapper for Gmail. At best, they turn out to be pretty and very buggy wannabes. Kiwi for GMail is what these previous apps should’ve been. I love the look and I don’t think I’ve ever noticed any bugs with the software. But there are some functionality that should be done to improve it:
* Support for more than 6 accounts. It’s not hard to have more than 6 eMail accounts if you run multiplle businesses, have projects that require a separate eMail and then there’s personal. Then you’ll have to setup options for the menu system. You can have all your accounts listed in one column or have them nested.
* Start Minimized. At startup, the app is displayed on the screen. I’d like to have this minimized at startup. If I have zero eMails (never happens, honestly. ;-)), why do I need the app on screen? What if i have a sensitive eMail displayed at startup and someone is standing/sitting next to me?
* Fonts for Menus. When displaying accounts the font color is very light and can be hard to read. The font is also on the small side. This should be more customizable.
Great app. But it takes a lot to get a 5-star rating. So close!
When G Suite Wouldn’t Do it Themselves….
G Suite is powerful, but they refuse to make it function like a desktop office suite which is frustrating for those of us who don’t want to be limited to the feeling of an in-browser experience. I love what Kiwi has done, and can’t imagine managing my 4+ email accounts for work, personal and volunteer use without it. The setup is easy, the color coordination keeps me from mixing up accounts (unlike Apple’s Mail software), and the functionality hasn’t had any major bugs that I’ve seen to-date. I recommend this to everyone I know who uses G Suite, especially multiple accounts.