KNFB Reader gives you instant access to print anytime and anywhere.
KNFB Reader 3.0 is a rapid and efficient text recognition app. Its text-to-speech, text-to-Braille, and text highlighting tools make it valuable for blind, low-vision, dyslexic, and others with reading differences.
Use it to import or take a photo of anything containing text. Take a photo and the app reads text out loud or displays it on a connected refreshable Braille display. Read with more ease thanks to the simultaneous highlighting of the sentence and word that is being read on the picture or in the plain text document. The app helps you get a good photo with special alignment tools, including spoken and vibration guidance. Snap multiple pages, such as a book, for later reading.
Winner of the 2014, 2015, and 2016 AppleVis Golden Apple Award for Best Assistive
• Reads image-based PDF and JPEG files, and now tagged PDF and ePub files too!
• Exports KNFB reader files as HTML or TXT files.
• Navigates by line, sentence, word, or character.
• Crop, rotate and edit the pictures you take before performing text recognition.
• View documents in PDF presentation mode with double highlighting while reading.
• View reading order and language-tagged PDF documents.
• Add and remove bookmarks in PDF documents.
• Switch between PDF view and reflowable text view.
• Read documents in the increasingly popular ePub format.
The app also has synchronized text highlighting to help you read along with the spoken text, a benefit for people with dyslexia and other reading difficulties.
Need nutritional information from your breakfast cereal? KNFB reader can read labels. Out shopping and need a price? KNFB Reader can read price tags. Want to know what came in the mail? KNFB Reader captures it all.
KNFB Reader captures print from your computer or tablet screen. Photograph the screen and know exactly what that error message says.
Little details abound. We got rid of the fifty-page limit for batch recognition. Everything gets turned on its side with landscape support. Add subfolders to the local folder structure. Use Microsoft OneDrive, Dropbox, or Google Drive to store and retrieve your documents. You can now make calls, send emails, and open hyperlinks directly from documents; call or email your new contact directly from the text of her business card!
Fully localized versions (user interface, recognition and speech) are available in: English, German, Italian, French, Spanish, Norwegian (Bokmål), Swedish, Portuguese, Dutch, Turkish, Danish, Polish, Russian, Japanese, and Czech.
Other languages available for speech and recognition only: Afrikaans, Albanian, Bulgarian, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Estonian, Finnish, Greek, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Romanian, Serbian (Cyrillic), Serbian (Latin), Slovak, Ukrainian.
Supported devices: iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPadPro, iPad Pro 12.9-inch, iPad Pro 9.7-inch, iPad Air 2, iPad Air, iPod touch 6th Generation, iPod 5th Generation.
Visit our website at: www.knfbreader.com
Minor bug fixes and stability improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Not worth the money
This App has never read a document for me flawlessly. It always reads it in jiberish which means it isn’t recognizing the text (I have a iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 7. I always have a light shinning on the document to ensure enough light is on the document since I learned the iPad Air 2 has no flash). I thought paying $99 for an App would mean it would work better than a free App or one much cheaper. Get what you pay for, Right? Not in this case. I purchased a free App that does much more than this one does (Reads documents, handwriting, colors, detects light, scans barcodes to tell you what a product is, recognizes object in your surroundings and does facial reconition). The first time I used the free App, It work flawlessly and red a complete document to me. It also photographed the document automatically once it was in view of the camera. I use that App more than this one. The only reason I still keep this App, Is to tell me if a page is upside down (That is the only good feature about this App). Don’e waste your money on this App. Especially if you can’t see like me and need something that will work well and consistently.
why is it designed this way
I recently downloaded (AND PAID A LOT OF MONEY FOR) this app to use for assistance in reading books. There seem to be so many poorly designed aspects of this app that are making it tedious to use.
1. When I photograph multiple pages and allow them to process, then try to add more images to the existing file, I can only do it one image at a time.
2. The automatic photo feature just does not work, period.
3. Half the time in manual photo mode using the volume buttons fails to work to take the photo, but at random times it does work.
4. If I photograph multiple images and allow them to process, then go straight into listening to them, the reading accuracy is much higher as the app reads directly from the photograph. However, if I close the app or switch files for too long the images convert into PDF-looking files and much of the text becomes gibberish.
5. The incessant refocusing in the camera app is frustrating because I have to try to time when I press the button, or else it takes a blurry photo.
6. Only one voice option.
7. Button symbols are bizarre and difficult to understand, I don't use any other text-to-voice converters so I only have the visual cues.
8. It is difficult to upload a file, I still cannot figure out how.
I've only had this app for four days and have already run into so many issues. Why does this cost $100 if it barely functions? I'm a poor grad student.
Developer Response ,
We would like to contact you to have a look at your settings. We think that will be a solution to the problems you experience. Please contact email@example.com so we can help you out.
A podcast or tutorial
I Purchased this app when it was half-price because I figured it doesn’t go at half price very often. that was like, a year or two ago, and I’ve still yet to understand how to use this app? back then I used zoom and magnification mostly, now I use voiceover, so using this app is going to be even more challenging for me now that I’m using voice over. I wish there was a podcast on demonstrating or how to use this app. I think people would agree to pay the high cost if they could see or hear a demonstration of its use. That would even help me since I have purchased the app and still don’t know how to use it. that would drive up your sales, and help me at the same time. for example, instructions on how to use it, what you can use it to do, etc.
- Sensotec NV
- 405.8 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Sensotec NV
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.