Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Tie, untie and rotate more than 100 knots with just your finger! Knots 3D will give you a whole new perspective on knots! Grab a rope and have fun!
- #1 Reference App in 75 Countries*
- Included in Scouting Magazine's "Ultimate List of Scouting Apps" and featured twice in the Trek Tech section (Sep/Oct '12 and '14 issues)
Have you ever wondered what a knot looks like rotated 40° or maybe 90°? Or maybe you want to see what a Trilene knot or Constrictor knot looks like from the back? Use your finger to spin the knot and see how it looks from any angle in 3D!
Choose from 101 different knots and see how they're tied in incredible detail. Watch the knot draw itself or use your finger to tie and untie the knot. Its easy to see where the virtual rope goes in and out and around. (Something about a rabbit and a hole and a tree right? ) Zoom in on the knot to get a closer look or flip it around for another perspective. Can your old school knot app do that?!
Product Features and Functions
- Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch (Universal App)
- High res graphics for retina displays
- Learn to tie 101 unique knots
- Watch knots tie themselves and pause or adjust the speed of the animation at any time
- Rotate knots in 360 degree, 3D views to study them from any angle
- Zoom in on a knot to see it in greater detail
- Interact with the knot on screen via multi-touch gestures such as pinch-to-zoom and swipe to tie/untie.
- Browse knots by category or search by name
- Completely self contained -- No internet required!
- 100% localized for over a dozen languages: English, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish and Turkish!
Each 3D knot has detailed reference information including tying pointers, strength and reliability, structural info, and Ashley reference numbers (ABoK) and occasionally the history behind the knot.
The knots are arranged by both Category (Boating, Climbing, Fishing, Scouting, etc) and Type (Bend, Loop, Stopper, etc). If you find a knot you like or want to come back to later, add it to your Favorites list for quick reference.
Albright Special, Anchor Hitch, Ashley’s Bend, Blood Knot, Bowline, Bowline on a Bight, Buntline Hitch, Carrick Bend, Cats Paw, Clinch Knot (Improved), Clove Hitch, Constrictor Knot, Larks Head Hitch, Double Sheet Bend, Figure 8 Knot, Figure 8 Bend, Figure 8 Loop, Fisherman’s Eye, Fisherman’s Knot, Jar Sling Knot, Loop Knot, Overhand Knot, Perfection Loop, Rolling Hitch, Round Turn & Two Half Hitches, Running Bowline, Square Knot (Reef Knot), Sheepshank, Sheet Bend, Stevedore’s Knot, Surgeon’s Knot, Surgeon’s Loop, Taut Line Hitch, Tiller’s Hitch, Timber Hitch, Water Knot, Zeppelin Bend, Alpine Butterfly, Trucker's Hitch, Prusik Hitch, Rapala Knot, San Diego Jam, Yucatan Knot, Diagonal Lashing, Double Coin Knot, Mooring Hitch, Round Lashing, Shear Lashing, Square Lashing, Trefoil Knot, Jury Mast Knot, Monkey's Fist, Turk's Head and many more!
Complete Knot List at:
KNOTS 3D REVIEWS
Superb in every way - 5 Stars!
I'm a fairly handy guy (surgeon) and rely on several knots in my practice. Nevertheless I'm pretty hopeless at learning new knots and remembering them, even though I'm a sailor and do some fishing. Knots 3D is the answer. I love every aspect of the app.
Great App - 5 Stars!
I really like this app, I have 4 knot apps, and I use this one the most. As a firefighter rope skills is a must and this app helps keep me "knot prepared". The zoom and step through the knot using a finger gestures is real handy. The author updates this app with new knots often. I recommend this app.
* As per appfigures.com on 9/11/2012
What's New in Version 4.3.1
- Added Arabic
- Fixed Fireman's chair animation
- Minor content fixes
I never understood how to tie a good knot
This app is amazing! I'm 57 years old and have had many people try to teach me how to tie knots over the years. They always got impatient with me because I needed them to slow down and show me a couple of times. My dad would yell at me whenever we went even as an adult since I only go out once or twice a year. The animation and 3D has made it so easy. And best of all it doesn't yell at me! Sad to say dad passed away awhile back before I could show him my new skills. He's probably looking down and smiling or laughing.
Excellent. Simply excellent.
The videos, playable at a range of speeds, is what makes this the best knot-tying tutor I've ever encountered. I learned most of my knotting skills on the job from older guys who'd run through a new (to me) knot quickly and walk away. As a sort of test to see how fast I could pick something up. Or standard on-the-job hazing for the new kid I suppose. I managed as we all do in those situations but if I'd had this in my pocket back then I'd have learned these much more quickly.
One of the neatest parts of this app is the animation showing how a knot is tied. The animation can be replayed, paused and rotated. Having this feature is important for learning how to correctly tie knots so you can see how the bite end of the rope is combined and compressed in a knot to give it strength.
The app also gives history of the knot as well as practical applications. The app also covers decorative knots.
Neat app, well worth the price. Surprisingly cool as well!
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Feb 04, 2015
- Version: 4.3.1
- Size: 45.7 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: David Boren
- © 2011 Nynix LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.