Used by arborists, fishermen, firefighters, climbers, military and boy and girl scouts the world over, Knots 3D will quickly teach you how to tie even the most difficult knot. With more than 125 knots, Knots 3D will be your go-to reference! Grab some rope and have fun!
- Included in Scouting Magazine's "The Best Scouting Apps of 2016" and "Ultimate List of Scouting Apps" (2014)
- Featured in iOS Today, GQ Magazine, Boating Magazine, Guy Harvey Magazine and many other well known print and online and media.
- #1 Reference App in 75 Countries
Have you ever wondered what a knot looks like rotated 40° or maybe 90°? Or maybe you want to see what a Bowline knot or Constrictor knot looks like from the back? Use your finger to spin the knot and see how it looks from any angle in 3D!
Choose from 127 different knots and see how they're tied in incredible detail. Watch the knot draw itself or use your finger to tie and untie the knot. Its easy to see where the virtual rope goes in and out and around. (Something about a rabbit and a hole and a tree right? ) Zoom in on the knot to get a closer look or flip it around for another perspective. Can your old school knot app do that?!
Product Features and Functions
- Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch (Universal App)
- High res graphics with photo-realistic rope textures
- Learn to tie 127 unique knots
- Watch knots tie themselves and pause or adjust the speed of the animation at any time
- Rotate knots in 360 degree, 3D views to study them from any angle
- Zoom in on a knot to see it in greater detail
- Interact with the knot on screen via multi-touch gestures such as pinch-to-zoom and swipe to tie/untie.
- Browse knots by category or search by name
- Completely self contained -- No internet required!
- 100% localized for over a dozen languages: English, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish and Turkish!
Each 3D knot has detailed reference information including tying pointers, strength and reliability, structural info, and Ashley reference numbers (ABoK) and occasionally the history behind the knot.
The knots are arranged by both Category (Boating, Climbing, Fishing, Scouting, etc) and Type (Bend, Loop, Stopper, etc). If you find a knot you like or want to come back to later, add it to your Favorites list for quick reference.
Anchor Hitch, Ashley’s Bend, Blood Knot, Bowline, Bowline on a Bight, Buntline Hitch, Carrick Bend, Cats Paw, Clinch Knot (Improved), Clove Hitch, Constrictor Knot, Larks Head Hitch, Double Sheet Bend, Figure 8 Knot, Figure 8 Bend, Figure 8 Loop, Fisherman’s Eye, Fisherman’s Knot, Jar Sling Knot, Loop Knot, Overhand Knot, Perfection Loop, Rolling Hitch, Round Turn & Two Half Hitches, Running Bowline, Square Knot (Reef Knot), Sheepshank, Sheet Bend, Stevedore’s Knot, Surgeon’s Knot, Surgeon’s Loop, Taut Line Hitch, Timber Hitch, Water Knot, Alpine Butterfly, Trucker's Hitch, Prusik Hitch, Rapala Knot, San Diego Jam, Diagonal Lashing, Double Coin Knot, Mooring Hitch, Round Lashing, Shear Lashing, Square Lashing, Trefoil Knot, Jury Mast Knot, Monkey's Fist, Turk's Head and many more!
Complete Knot List at:
KNOTS 3D REVIEWS
Superb in every way - 5 Stars!
I'm a fairly handy guy (surgeon) and rely on several knots in my practice. Nevertheless I'm pretty hopeless at learning new knots and remembering them, even though I'm a sailor and do some fishing. Knots 3D is the answer. I love every aspect of the app.
Great App - 5 Stars!
I really like this app, I have four knot apps, and I use this one the most. As a firefighter rope skills is a must and this app helps keep me "knot prepared". The zoom and step through the knot using a finger gestures is real handy. The author updates this app with new knots often. I recommend this app.
- Various animation and translation fixes
- Added Double Davy Knot
- 5 new knots: Inuit Bowline - FG Knot - Kalmyk Loop - Orvis Knot - Tarbuck Knot
We've been busy making the best knot app better! Many of the knot models have been upgraded with the following improvements:
- 8, 16, and 24 strand rope with dozens of new photorealistic textures and patterns
- More realistic metal rings, wood poles, carabiners, fish hooks, etc
- Smoother animations
If you like the changes, please leave us a review and let us know!
Ratings and Reviews
The best way to learn a new knot!
I’ve been fascinated with knots since I was a Cub Scout, some 60+ years ago. I still have my first Boy Scout Manual and the only hand notation, in the table of contents, is the word Knots. That’s first thing I wanted to learn, how to tie a good knot.
Knots 3D is the first application I bought, when I got my first iPhone, many years ago. I can’t give you a date, but as I recall, it was around 2011 and there were only about 70 knots in the application, at that time. Now, there’s 126 and I expect that number will continue to slowly increase. I have a large, hard bound copy, of the Ashley Book of Knots and it is an excellent reference, but for most of my needs, for the last several years, Knots 3D has been my go to source for learning, and teaching others, how to tie a good knot. I absolutely love the 3D renderings, in Knots 3D and I consider it to be the very best way to learn a knot. I have gifted this app to many of my friends and family members and will continue to do so.
So, if you want to learn how to tie a good knot, in my opinion this is the best source you’ll ever find.
I Can-Knot tell a lie, This is the best App for Knot-heads!
I really love this application. I've owned this since 2012 and they have done nothing but made it better. It really is the best application to learn about different knots and how to tie them. Because of the ability to slow down and speed up the actual building of the knot, even if you're not very fast at tying knots you can keep up with the example. It also has examples of knots that you really can use and you want to use. Sailors need to know this information and this is the best place to get it, also it you have ever tied down stuff in a trailer, you need it too! I have built almost every knot listed but there are a couple that I still can't tie but it's no fault of the app. 😊 When I first got this it had about forty knots, now there are over one-hundred and twenty. But don't take it from me, just take a look at the reviews for this application. I don't remember ever seeing a program with reviews like this, I mean this baby really rocks!
THE Best Knotting App
I'm a macramè artist, and while I'm proficient with all the knots I "need" for this purpose, I'm also fascinated by all the practical and safety uses of knots. Despite being staunch that "I-will-not-pay-for-apps", the solid reviews and impressive preview images prompted me to take a chance and fork out the $1.99 for this one. After purchasing, I am far more impressed than I thought possible. The history, practical uses, alternate names, and especially the incredible interactive 3-D graphic animation make it totally worth every penny. I especially love that I can control the speed of the animation. Highly recommend, even to those with only a casual interest in knot tying (but is an incredible resource for the more serious ones as well.) Five thumbs up. 👍👍👍👍👍
- David Boren
- 86.4 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011 Nynix LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.