Koala - Chess Endgame 3-4 Men
By Nguyen Pham
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Koala is a chess endgame program with all 3-4 men endgame database inside. With this program, you could:
- study how to play endgames of chess
- got "perfect" moves for any positions
- understand strategies to play by observing endgames.
- view / study all 3-4 men endgames, select any game from them to dislay, see the result (distance to mate), the sequence of best moves
- exam all abilities / react on the screen. All moves could be display with suggestion of DTM, explain themself why this one is the best but not others.
- interact with game by making your self any move. The program will auto retrieve all best move to answer your new move
- enter any postion by pasting a string of fen or edit board directly. App will auto retrieve all best moves for your new position
- get statistics of those endgames
White/Back to Move First Button
This is a really neat app for studying 3 and 4 piece endgames. It is really interesting to see how a KPK ending can so easily go wrong.
I like that this app works stand alone, without access to the Internet.
One little gripe: when I am editing a position, I cannot get the button that selects white/black to move first to work. I can edit the FEN in Notes to correct first move.
I don't use this app to look at the endgame tables directly. Instead, I set up a position and let the app evaluate it. For this purpose, starting with a blank board would be more direct.
It's neat that this app can be used to play and record a game to PGN. Would you please add the option of pasting a PGN ?
Needs practice mode
Works well at exploring the database, but to be really useful, it should have a mode where it doesn't give a hint, you move, then the program responds with the best move and some sort of feedback
not really usable
First its not intuitive on how to use the program, second it gives you the answer right away. Third there should be a way to play the position to see if you have figure it out. This feels more like a puzzle book, you see the diagram and the answer is on the same figure. the other issue is unresponsiveness at times.
- Category: Games
- Released: Sep 07, 2012
- Version: 1.0
- Size: 17.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Nguyen Pham
- © Nguyen Hong Pham
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.