Join millions of readers around the world and access eBooks and audiobooks all with one app. Go shelf-less and take your reading adventures on the go. With over 6 million titles to choose from, there's something for every type of reader and listener.
Purchase eBooks and audiobooks directly from Kobo. They'll automatically appear in the app immediately afterwards.
The Kobo App makes reading even more comfortable and convenient:
• Customize the way you read. Enjoy crisp, clear text in the size and style you prefer. Try Night Mode to make reading easier on your eyes before bedtime, and lock the screen in portrait or landscape mode.
• Our beautifully designed, easy-to-use player makes it simple for you to move through your audiobook with a single touch. Never worry about losing your spot, and see how much time is left at a glance. Schedule it to turn off after a set amount of time—perfect for listening before going to sleep.
• Read thousands of free eBook previews or listen to audiobook samples to help you find your next favourite.
• Start reading on one device and pick up on another. The Kobo App always remembers where you left off, so you can keep reading across all your devices.
• Share your love of reading on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Post your favourite quotes, notes, and thoughts from what you’re reading.
• Rate and review the books you’ve read or read reviews from booklovers like you!
• Read in English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Dutch, Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese, Turkish, Traditional Chinese or Japanese.
Here's what's new in our latest release:
• We now support CarPlay for iPhones. Download the audiobooks you'd like to listen to before connecting, or else you won't see them.
• Bug fixes and general improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
I like to listen to books while I fall asleep and I always set a 30 minute sleep timer. One time it turned off and I thought “that couldn’t possibly be 30 minutes already” and when I looked, it was still counting down. It had only been 15 minutes. I tried to press play to start the audiobook again and it would play for a split second then pause again. Over and over I tried it but would only ever play a split second until I fully exited and closed the app and restarted.
If that isn’t happening then sometimes it ignores the sleep timer all together. 2 nights in a row it didn’t stop after the 30 minute sleep timer. I woke up hours later and my audiobook was still going. The first time it happened I thought maybe I did forget to set the time but the second night I KNOW it was set. It has happened at least 2 other times since that back-to-back night. I can always scroll back to where I last remember but it’s kind of a pain to be woken up because my audiobook can’t obey a sleep timer.
Great app with a wonderful selection of books!
It works well, has a lot of sort options (including downloaded only for offline). Adjustable displays, and a home page to remind you of what you’ve been reading. Only issue I have is there is no way to sort by ratings that you give to books, genres of books, and it doesn’t recognize the names of authors from books you download from another site (like the authors website or a free giveaway). I love taking advantage of giveaways and buying books (as well as reading them) so I end up with a lot of books and it can be hard to remember and find the ones I liked best. When I am looking for something random or a specific genre my kobo app is too hard to sort through. I also wish you could filter your books by more than one option at a time.
Not Good Enough Alternative to Kindle
All the books I bought from Sony when they ran an ebook store got moved over to Kobo, so I downloaded this app to read a book. The app just is not that great. There are great ideas here, but the execution is terrible.
The good thing I like about it is the reading stats which are compelling. The layout of the app outside of reading is also pretty good and useful. But, all of this is lost because of usability issues.
The app cannot keep sync at all. I will read on my iPhone and come back to my iPad to find that the Kobo app on my iPad is still stuck where I left off on the iPad. Sometimes, the app syncs and brings me to where I actually am, but it doesn’t happen much.
Though the app shows me the percentage of how far I am in a book before I enter the book, there’s no indicator in the book itself. All that I see are pages in the section/chapter that I am in. There’s no way to see how far I am in the book itself while I am reading.
The layout options when reading are woefully lacking.
I want to like Kobo because I think there should be an alternative to Kindle, but Kobo has a ways to go before this can even come close to being a decent alternative. All of this is strange because the Libby app from Overdrive (which is own by Rakuten, who owns Kobo) is a fantastic reading app that has none of the issues that the Kobo app does.
- Kobo Inc.
- 196.7 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2018 Rakuten Kobo Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.