Kodex is an advanced code editor which brings powerful and desktop-class IDE features to your iPad or iPhone:
* Multi-caret editing, to quickly transform code selections.
* Regex search and replace, with template matching.
* Minimap which allows quick scroll navigation though the document.
* Syntax highlighting for over 150 languages.
* Auto complete feature (currently only for HTML).
* Add as many guide columns as you wish (default 80 and 120 characters).
* Configurable tab size (default 4 spaces), or insert spaces when pressing tab.
* Draw hints for invisible characters such as new lines, tabs, and spaces.
* Customizable key bindings, so you can configure Kodex to use the same key combos you are already used to.
* Light and Dark modes.
Kodex is integrated with the Files app, so you can easily open files from any other app, and from your iCloud documents folder.
You can launch Kodex QuickEdit from any file sharing view in any app to edit its contents without launching the main Kodex App (be aware this functionality depends on the host app implementing the sharing activity properly).
Included are 10 editor themes, and several monospaced fonts for code editing (you can install your own preferred fonts using system profiles). Font size and line spacing are adjustable, so you can configure Kodex to best fit your preferred screen size, arrangement, and orientation.
Kodex is currently optimized for external keyboards, such as Apple's Smart Keyboard for the iPad Pro, or any bluetooth/USB keyboard. More virtual keyboard features will be added in a future version.
This update brings support for the new iPad display sizes and improved highlighting/editing performance by rewriting more string handling-related code from Swift to Objective-C and by refactoring existing algorithms. It also fixes some bugs, including the following:
* Fix issue where temporary files could be reloaded with a line count of zero or a negative value.
* Improve support for insertion of provisional text (such as when an accent key is pressed on an external keyboard followed by a letter key to insert a single accented letter).
* Improve stability of highlighting engine by fixing some off-by-one buffer access crashes.
Please notice: I'm aware of a crash when opening files. However the crash logs do not provide enough data to help me fix that, and I'm not even sure if it's a bug on Kodex or on UIKit. If you are experiencing or have experienced crashes when opening files, please contact me with details via email@example.com. Thanks!
Ratings and Reviews
Needs optimizing for 3rd gen iPad Pro models. I’d also like to see the interface tweaked to save space: disable the iOS status bar similar to Buffer Editor, tabs in line with controls, toggle for app status bar on bottom, and the ability to hide the extended keyboard row which is nearly useless when using a hardware keyboard. Love the mini map though!
Just one thing to add
Please add a spot where we can tip you for the app. This is a wonderful app and I would like to at least give something for the hard work.
Love This App!
For someone who uses Atom, it has the same feel to it. It’s easy to use, and file handling is marvelous. Would recommend to anyone.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.